of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

profile101
#216907629Friday, May 19, 2017 8:16 PM GMT

Speed typing, one of the worsts things to happen to the roleplaying community in general. Why it is bad. Speed typing effectively discourages good roleplaying. Because it's no longer weather or not you are can write well but how fast you can type. Genially good roleplayers are either mostly forced to adept or leave. In fact I would say there is no such thing as "good" and "Bad" roleplayers any more, everyone is one the same level, it's weather or not you can write fast or not. This is actively destroying skill, punishing those who would dare put a margin of effort into what they type, because they have to be as quick as possible. What takes more effort and skill? To write well, describing your character, actually having personality and depth? Or being able to type or even copy and paste "I'd shoot"? We all know the answer I'm sure. roleplaying on Roblox has always had a hard time, but now it's facing total destruction, as it dies from the inside out. There are very few roleplayers left that will do more then "I'd follow", "I'd turn" I'd shoot" and "I'd yell". It is simply doing the smallest amount to count as actually roleplaying, because otherwise it may as well just become purely action games. If roleplaying is to survive or at the very least stop stagnating, before people turn to using lower cases to avoid spending half second to use the cap key. It has to be banned, removed. I know why people do it, the "take turn" system that was for years part of roleplaying wasn't perfect, nor will it ever be, but it did actually allow for good roleplaying. There is no line between or bad, the it is merely fast or slow. Patient-0 After The Flash. A very old series of roleplaying games, it was always fairly popular and has a large community of roleplayers with varying degrees of skill. But recently "skill" is about not how well you write but how fast you can write. Now it's not about describing your characters emotions, thoughts, feelings and actions beyond "I'd" [insert action]. Now I don't know for certain if speed typing began in After The Flash, but I think it did. I believe it started with Rain, there was a vote on whether it should be allowed, and that deiced the course for ATF as a roleplaying game. If you go on Deep Six, you will be swarmed with "I'd", minimizing as many words as possible to make it faster. You will lucky to see anything other then "I'd turn"and "I'd shoot". This effectively has entirely discouraged people to actually write well, it's not about telling a story, it's about saying "I'd shoot" faster then the next guy, this is what roleplaying has been reduced to, typing fast, that's hardly even roleplaying. I understand that not everyone can or wants to roleplay with great detail on everything they do, but at least it allowed you to do so if you wanted. I'm not trying to spit on After The Flash, it does have some great things about it. The maps are always great and adding factions helped a lot. But this virus of speed typing is bringing the community down, and I doubt it will ever get out of it. The Plague Spreads. As I said before, After The Flash has a large community, and many of them don't just roleplay on After The Flash. So it began spread, to a lot of corners to the roleplaying community, like the Icarus games (when people played it) and Kingdom Life which the disease has been growing overtime. There are some bastions of hope, some that have not at least entirely been eaten by speed typing, yet as it's influence spreads, it falls one by one. Thankfully speed typing can't get any where near the forums, because it simply isn't possible. Take the forums as good example of how roleplaying should be; you don't spam "I'd shoot" and expect to win, you take turns, you put effort into it, this is how it should be done. Lowest of the low. Copying and paste, that is what roleplaying is coming to I fear. Some people aren't even bothering to write quickly, they simply copy and paste in a action, and boom they are nigh unstoppable. That in my mind is the lowest form of roleplaying, in fact it's not even roleplaying any more. You can't even be bothered to write, you can't even ask to put in some degree of effort. I'm sure if this is banned or not in some games, but it does happen and I want to pour acid into my eyes when I see it, or think I see it. This is what in a dystopian reality roleplaying might become, people copying and pasting words hoping to get a one-up on some one else. Roleplaying is truly degenerating. Mutual fun. In my mind, roleplaying should be about mutual fun, both parties enjoying them selves. Yet I feel this is kind of ruined, for several reasons: if one wishes to write long sentences, they can't with a speed typer and either are forced to void, leave or adept. Playing with let's call them a "speedemon", some body that is very good at speed typing, makes fighting them unfair and in my mind, not very fun. Can we not all be on equal grounds when it comes to fighting? Rather should be who is the most cleverest wins the fight rather then the fastest? Which brings me to another point. Fighting is the only objective. Now fighting in roleplaying have always been closely linked, and that's fine. Fighting is fun, it's enjoyable, we all like to beat other people, that feel of victory. Yet I feel, it has been the only focus in some cases. I can't speak for everyone, and this certainly does apply to everyone. But I feel fighting has taken a priority, over everything else. Which makes sense, speed typing is geared towards fighting, it isn't really designed for story telling or character development. To end this off, I don't want to come off as overly hostile towards people that speed type, as I am aware many people do, maybe even the majority of roleplayers. This all may sound rather melodramatic, which it is I suppose. Yet I care about the roleplaying community for some silly reason, I have been with it for years and I don't want to see it go into these dark ages people are mistaken for a golden age. Maybe I am wrong, perhaps there is some just reason for speed-tying that I'm not seeing, maybe it is actually good, but I find that unlikely. If you agree or disagree with this, then say so, debate and discuss and we might actually make some small degree of change, or maybe I'm just some idiot ranting about some thing that doesn't really matter.
profile101
#217568217Sunday, May 28, 2017 9:40 PM GMT

bump
ironblox112
#217579643Sunday, May 28, 2017 11:37 PM GMT

The problem with roleplaying in general is, if a player is steering the roleplay and the other party is simply forced to follow along, it destroys the idea of a shared story. It's not t w o people building a story in which all characters are of equal importance, it's o n e person forcing a predictable response out of the other user, rather than allowing them to tell their side of the story arc. Here's an example of what I commonly see: "You are bold to come here, student. Are you here to [dialogue describing the other character's journey and removing the purpose of unveiling the challenges from the point of the adventurer which could have given insight on the character's personality] and seek my aid in [further e lab ora ti o n ]?" And the response is usually: "Yes." How should it be, in my opinion? "You are bold to come here, student. What is it that you seek?" "I seek to [ex p o s i t i o n detailing the character's coming journey, and why and how they will take these hard ship s upon themselves]." I'm not sure if I explained my point of view on this matter in a way that's fully understandable but I hope I did else this was a huge waste of time.
SkinnyBean101
#217588678Monday, May 29, 2017 1:13 AM GMT

I'd have to agree that Roleplayers these days have lost their skills. I am a Steven Universe / Doctor Who / Maze Runner / Ninjago roleplay fanatic. I used to hang out with many good roleplayers, but many of them have disappeared into the abyss of quitting ####### ### it's filled with newbies that either constantly want to form fusions with other players (Steven Universe), maul each other with no storyline, or exploit the game so other users can't have any fun whatsoever. I do my best to "train" other players on how to be good roleplayers, by using proper spelling and grammar, sticking to the storyline, and doing accurate things that appeal to a certain character. I hope you all understand this.
sawyerjet3
#217597309Monday, May 29, 2017 2:47 AM GMT

This is my pet peeve, considering that some forumers constantly do that.
Kuroda
#217625896Monday, May 29, 2017 12:34 PM GMT

To expand on the point of combat in roleplaying I definitely think it has gone to crap, how so many RPers from all over (ATF, KL..) yearn for constant fighting. While it is true that conflicts are a key factor as a driving force for all stories, it is simply a worthless device when abused. Speedtyping adds to this problem, as it encourages players to simply *overwhelm* other characters and ruin the fun for them. I think players ought to be a bit more courteus and consider "Would this fight drive the story for both of us?", "Would the overwhelming speedtyping combat be enjoyable?". Yes, it is possible for some to accept speedtyping, play along with it even, and it is possible to speedtype RP with a fellow speedtyper (with depth, even); however, in a general case, especially when one is participating in a public RP, it's most likely best to leave some room for others to type, or at least ask if they can catch up and not have their RP ruined.
profile101
#217673933Monday, May 29, 2017 9:23 PM GMT

Slightly sad there no one is here defending speed typing and it would be nice to hear another point of view, or perhaps they are keeping quiet? But yes, it's a problem, and apparently it has even sunken into the forums, which worries me greatly. It's really up to the game designers and their admins to ban this sort of thing, sadly I find they often take part in it themselves, therefore change is rare.
North1233
#217674405Monday, May 29, 2017 9:27 PM GMT

I'll be honest, there are varying genres of roleplaying that determine if "speed-typing" is relevant. Take the Warrior Cats roleplays for example. I've seen plenty of emotion and feeling expressed in the characters, and anyone is free to take on whatever story they want, as long as it's within the boundaries of the book series. It just depends on what kind of roleplays you're on. registered sergeant of the goose army
bossman10606
#217674991Monday, May 29, 2017 9:32 PM GMT

Speed typing isn't really in this forum last time I checked. It happens a lot in role-play games though. Being a role-play gamer myself you always have to type fast and with * or - because detail doesn't matter. Most of the time there is only a single person making the role-play, because they do stuff like: *Makes a machine that summons portals then presses the button and makes a portal to a dangerous land and everyone falls into it* Then some players are just like: "ahhhhhhhh help" or "ahh"
profile101
#217678144Monday, May 29, 2017 10:04 PM GMT

Well North that's great to know that there are some bastions left, I have personally not. role played in Warrior Cats, but it's good to hear it hasn't given way to speed typing. But speed-typing shouldn't be considered relevant at all, in my opinion, it's good is far outweighed by it's bad. Sure it has a good coherent way of fighting, but at the sacrifice of roleplaying. And also I may have misread one of the posts, perhaps I was wrong in my judgement that speed typing had entered the forums.
Henrypika
#217745024Tuesday, May 30, 2017 4:35 PM GMT

Speed typing in a forum space is bad. -bossman- Anywhere else besides an essay is fine.
profile101
#218206964Monday, June 05, 2017 8:25 PM GMT

bump
NuclearBronco
#218208671Monday, June 05, 2017 8:50 PM GMT

Basically, I have the same thing to say as Boss. People don't really speed type on this forum, but it is very annoying inside of games.
IceLeonardo
#219264199Monday, June 19, 2017 11:57 PM GMT

I often tell other role-players about this, but they constantly say I'm whining or just to type fast or report me to a mod just because I want sometime to respond to them. The Far Lands would be a key example, I like the game's lore but hate their players.
KeeganY
#219351569Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:37 AM GMT

I do not speed type, I didn't even know it has existed until I found this page, but I realized, I have met so many people that speed type. I personally do not do it. On the forum I speak in th i r d person. And if someone turns a vehicle, I say * [ insert name ] turns the wheel sharply to the right* for example.
SimplySurge
#219911119Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:50 PM GMT

you're seriously getting triggered because someone types faster then you can. i type quicker then my class, i can bet quicker then a lot of other roleplayers. can i change how fast i type, even though i'm skilled that way? heres a quick course for you. don't get angry because some can type faster then you can, that's stupid. most people aren't going to slow their typing just so you can keep up, i know a lot of people that are 13+ plus that play ATF, that being said, they can usually type faster. kthx
SimplySurge
#219911171Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:51 PM GMT

i'm talking mostly about ATF and roleplay games, not the forum
SimplySurge
#219911254Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:52 PM GMT

i made a mistake on my first reply, not 'bet quicker' lol.
Deshoras
#219913205Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:19 AM GMT

People still use this forum? Damn.
profile101
#219968305Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:16 PM GMT

Ataraxiaa, well I have to say, that's the problem. People shouldn't judged on whether they can type fast or not, but how well they write. Typing fast doesn't mean typing well, your skill could be very redundant in the long run. I want to ask you a question, have you ever done more then "I'd [insert action]? I don't mean to sound condensing, but the point is, typing fast doesn't mean you're a good role player, and it isn't about me personally being able to "keep up" with other roleplayers, no one should have to "keep up". It's not about me being upset or angry at people typing faster then me, it's about roleplaying degrading into this contest of who can say "I'd shoot" the fastest. Do you believe that to be good roleplaying? I personally don't. But I appreciate you not being part of the echo-chamber.
profile101
#220527361Wednesday, July 05, 2017 4:32 PM GMT

bump
Lickablefun
#224739791Monday, September 04, 2017 9:05 PM GMT

No one will read this anyway, but whatever. Anyway, I agree. Though, I think that speed typing isn't bad, as it is someone's talent to type fast. It is just when people use it to their advantage. I played ATF today, and I am I fast typer, and I saw everything you described in here. Especially the non-descriptive writing. I was writing a long description on an action I was about to do, which was this: " *He held the gun carefully, obviously afraid in the sights of a CDF. His hands kept drifting and slipping away from the trigger, and the boy felt odd aiming at someone standing right infront of him* " Though before I finished typing it, the guy infront of me said this: " knocks out " There are many issues to this anyway. First, it is that it didn't describe how he knocked me off, and secondly the player noticed I was typing, as I was standing still, and decided to ruin whatever I was gonna do; since when you are knocked out you can't really do much. Concluding, that whatever I was typing would have to be saved for later.
KeeganY
#224748193Monday, September 04, 2017 10:54 PM GMT

yeah, that always is a problem for me. I'm typing an action then someone does a thing which ruins everything.
profile101
#225135800Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:27 PM GMT

It's been awhile since I posted this. However I can say, progress has been made in removing Speed typing, even if it's only on one game, although a very popular Kingdom Life 2. Speed typing is basically banned, along with doing "vague" actions in combat. So no more "I stab". This is a step forward in the right direction, and is a shining symbol of hope in the rotting ruins of the RP community. Although further steps need to be taken with several other popular roleplaying games if we are to have any meaningful change. On a quick note. I would give up on After The Flash, it is far to engraved in speed typing to ever change. It's sad, but unfortunately unless you can deal with the speed typing, I'd suggest staying away from there.
KeeganY
#225137506Wednesday, September 13, 2017 11:09 PM GMT

( part I ) yay! ( part II ) D:

of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right