chevron_leftchevron_leftchevron_left
    of     2   

KazukiKuruKun
#225223552Saturday, September 16, 2017 4:49 AM GMT

"Maybe I am wrong, perhaps there is some just reason for speed-typing tha-" Let me stop you RIGHT there. From a roleplaying perspective, there are no positives to speed-typing. It effectively makes it, like you previously stated, a battle of who is faster, not who is better at roleplaying. Personally, I have only encountered this problem on ATF and Highschool roleplays. KL2 is gradually growing to that low standard, but it isn't drastic as these two. The thing is, speed-typing favors one-liners, text that is only a sentence long and that's primarily what makes them, freaking disgusting and an absolute taboo and a horrendous, by golly thing that should not exist in the face of the RNG gods. There's only so much you can cram into a single sentence, not to mention that you have to type that fast as hell, I mean Quicksilver speeds so you aren't going to articulate things like: "Is this going to go against my character's personality or conflict with anything that my character stands for?" "What could I doing/saying this possible provoke within other characters and do I want that?" "Does this properly reflect what I am trying to convey about my character?" Then there's the fact that you want to stay IN character. KL2, for example, is a medieval-fantasy roleplayer that is set in what I would guess to be the 14th to 15th century, near and in the time of the War of the Roses happened. It wouldn't make sense for my character to say something like: "Hand over the money!" He/she would rather say something like: "Give me all your valuables or I'll gut you!" (Since money didn't exist back then.) I wouldn't have the time in a timeframe of practically 10 seconds, maybe less, to think of, "Oh, what words should I use, what kind of tone or accent does my character have?" In general, speed-typing falls into the category of Fail-RP. It has nothing good to benefit the roleplay, it does nothing to further the plot, the story, the characters in any way, it doesn't make it more convenient for both parties at all. All speed-typing does, is allow one party to do anything it wants basically. In a split second, a knight you have invested time in with a backstory from childhood to birth could be killed because someone chained this: "*I would kick his legs.*" "*I cut of his left arm.*" "*I stab him in face.*" That is not acceptable! And then some people dare say, "Oh, it's realistic. No one would give you time to fight back in a real f-" Yeah, no. In real life, when someone's beating down on you, you're gonna have an opportunity to fight back. You're basically telling me, in the realistic timeframe of 20-30 seconds that this fight could be happening, my character would not have time to respond, is utter horse####. Scientifically speaking, people and animals have VERY quick reaction time. That's why we can run when we see someone pull out a gun, that's why we can talk to each other so effectively, we realize something very fast. So to say that my character would sit there staring out into the distance in a daze going like, "La-la dee doo," with no idea what's happening is not only out of character because I'm roleplaying a knight who has trained in knighthood and is basically the equivalent of a soldier, but because it just won't... happen! So, I'm sorry anyone out there who might read this and say speed-typing is good, but you're wrong. You're just wrong. It's not a question of whether it is good, it's a question of whether you want to roleplay or not. Because speed-typing is not roleplay-friendly. And it never will be.
KazukiKuruKun
#225223997Saturday, September 16, 2017 5:01 AM GMT

Also, I want to reply to what you said about KL2 banning it. Sure. It's banned. But the number of people enforcing that is so insignificant it is ASTOUNDING! You literally have 7-8 people who have moderator+ privileges enforcing a game that has over 300+ players daily. Not to mention the fact that only two moderators are ever on at a time. Honestly, KL3 had less speed-typing than any roleplaying game I have ever seen, heck I prefer it over KL2, YET IT WAS DISCONTINUED which hurts me very much since I liked it there more than anywhere else, but this isn't about that. My point is, you can't control people. And I'll admit, I did have some rule-breaking characters, Lord of Equinox was one of them. But the thing is I roleplayed with it, and it roleplayed it well. I, personally disagree with almost all of KL2's rules because some of it is acceptable and only limits the roleplaying experience for veteran role players that are great, absolutely award-winning writers in our community. Yet, you need to have them because... kids are kids. I mean, what do you do? It's like putting a knife in a kid's hands and not saying anything. They don't know what do with it, and the implications that may come with using it. So, instead, you have to say, "No, don't touch it." But then people who do know how to use it, and use it well, can now no longer use it. So there's been times when I kind of, skirted around the rules a bit, yet in a way where I'm not violating any of the taboos of roleplay like FRP, Speed-typing, and Godmodding. Sure, my Lord of Equinox was a god in his own right and has powers beyond anything else, yet he was faced down by a single paladin. Why? Because he is still not all powerful. He has a weakness, something that can be exploited. What's more, though, he has a character. He isn't a hollow empty killing machine that likes to intimidate people. He has genuine affection and care for people. That's something you can exploit, a weakness you can use to beat him. And now I just realized that I have just gone SO far off-topic that I can't come back anymore so I'll end it here XD.
KazukiKuruKun
#225224480Saturday, September 16, 2017 5:19 AM GMT

"Combat in Roleplaying" Ah, yes, my most HATED enemy. Now, I don't know about you or anyone else for that matter, but I absolutely despise combat in roleplaying. Partially because of speed-typing, failure, your usual shenanigans. But, conflict doesn't always have to be physical interactions where another character has to put their hands on another character. You could have a conflict where you bear an ill message and someone gets's mad at the messenger, like they always do, and start an altercation there. Sure, it's small and tedious, but it makes the story feel alive. You shouldn't always be in a "Great War between Orcs and Humans." You can just have something small like, "*I hand a homeless man a dollar.* "Oh, how rude of you! Looking down on homeless like that."" and then suddenly you have this roleplay interaction between two characters over something so small, so miniscule and the argument only goes so far and both characters break away. My point is, conflict isn't always violence. It could be two ###r###########i#########w#####shing, it could be their morals, their ideologies. It could even be one guy scammed the other and it turns into a shout-fest, whatever right? "Yes, it is possible for some to accept speed-typing, play along with it even-" I do not want to think of that idea. I do not care if it is your friend. I will NOT classify anyone who speed-types to be roleplaying. Because think about; what is speed-typing? Well, here's what I think it is: Speed-typing: When an individual relies on his/her ability to type faster than another individual in other to gain some sort of strategic advantage in a roleplaying or argumentive scenario. There's nothing constructive or remotely positive or "right" about that. You're literally pummeling someone with words for no reason and preventing immersion into the world of roleplaying. You are preventing people from thinking out their thoughts and making a good story. When you're roleplaying, you should have this constant film going through your mind of what is happening. In your mind, this is happening and this very moment, these characters look like this, these characters are doing this, these characters are feeling this, it's almost like if you were the narrator and you are narrating this story through a lens that knows all. What happens when suddenly, the film stops, but only one character is moving. And this character has no emotion, no resent, no motive, no objective, and it just does what it is commanded in a split second of the time before anything else can happen, it does this. I do not want to even entertain that idea anymore. I'm sick and tired and honestly embarrassed that I have to deal with that in a roleplaying scenario and have someone even entertain the idea that it can be "right."
KazukiKuruKun
#225224591Saturday, September 16, 2017 5:22 AM GMT

Honestly, there's no argument out there to defend speed-typing, at least not in a roleplaying and constructive sense. I mean, you're literally systematically ruining the storyline for an entire character that someone made through "pure imagination" as you meme-stars would call it. You're substituting thoughtful wording and writing for a few seconds. Then the people who defend are like, "Dude, it's more realistic. Oh, also it makes it easier for me to #### up your character." This should be a no-brainer, honestly.
KazukiKuruKun
#225224875Saturday, September 16, 2017 5:32 AM GMT

The fact that you did not allow replies on the original post is disgusting and deflective. So now I will respond on this one. Do not. For even a moment, suggest speed-typing is no big deal in roleplaying. I'm a fast typer as well, easily being able to do more than 100 wpm. The thing is, you can't think of an entire passage that consists of something with as much description like: "*He sits on the leaf, with grace and elegance as he tiptoes across the greenery, singing his tune to the land below while his song drowns his sorrows and the forest sings alongside the man who had forgotten himself.*" Ok, not that great of a demonstration, but you see that I gave the scene just so much more detail, so much more imagery. At first, you just see a guy singing on a bush, something like: "*He sings on a bush.*" Yeah. No joke. With the former passage, you can just see so much more, you can see as the character carefully moves on the leaves of the forest, that ## ## #### above, carefully placing his steps and singing with tears running down his face with sadness apparent. See how much more that brings? But which one do speed-typers use more? Exactly. The problem isn't, you type fast. The problem is, you are typing fast. You aren't articulating anything you type, putting any sort of image into the roleplay, not trying to make a story. It's not just you can type however many words per minute. It's you choose to type that amount of words per minute simply because you can push the [ENTER] key faster. So don't even go to this forum and say, "Oh suck it up." At that point, you might as well not roleplay. You weren't made for this community and this community wasn't made for people like you.
bossman10606
#225295972Sunday, September 17, 2017 4:06 PM GMT

Good job man
profile101
#225450309Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:14 PM GMT

A rather passionate response, suppose what I get for suggesting but generally doubting there was a sliver lining to speed-typing that we weren't seeing. Don't think I was defending it in any slight, I merely didn't want to comes cross as passive-aggressive, and to encourage other opinions that might conflict with my own. But thanks for the response anyways.
buggybooprincess
#227426675Saturday, November 11, 2017 5:20 AM GMT

I agree speed typing is dumb and why do people want to fight instead of building on characters and having an exiting, heartfelt, or even mysterious story anyway?
KeeganY
#227437178Saturday, November 11, 2017 3:02 PM GMT

that speed bump was huge.
QuiteFeline
#227767938Monday, November 20, 2017 5:50 PM GMT

I have to agree with the statement that speed-typing is harmful to the roleplaying community, and bad. I used to play After the Flash, it was one of the first roleplaying games I'd ever really gotten into as I loved playing as a dog. (I thought it was hilarious that a dog could survive out there, and I had always loved police dogs as well so I tried to go for that archetype.) Back then, I was a slower typer than I am now, but I still got a chance to think about what a wasteland dog would do in every situation, and even got some help from more experienced roleplayers. So, a couple days ago, I played the newest installment of the ATF series, expecting to come back to the same, helpful game. I was thoroughly disappointed. Since you couldn't play as a dog, I played as a mute girl, and roleplayed by myself for a couple minutes until another player showed up. Before I could even enter my first action, I was greeted with '*I'd sh#####e###n the leg*' then '*Breaks neck*'. I was honestly just confused, thinking it was a joke or some FRPr, so I teleported to another place on the map, and was greeted with '"Put your hands up!"', and before I even finished typing out my character putting their hands up, albeit with a bit of emotion, I was again, '*I'd Shoot*'ed. So, trying again with a non-mute character and trying to stray from most people, I ended up walking along the edge of a bridge, as I was playing as a kid and thought it would be a cool picture if it were in a movie, of a kid quietly walking down the edge of a bridge while the world fell apart around her. So, a car rolls up with 3 people, and before I can even run, you know what happens. At this time, I'd gotten tired of it, and said 'You can't do that, I couldn't respond in time, and you're FRPing.' They'd say, 'Well it wasn't me who ###### #### you fell into the water after you got shot and the poison water ###### ### so it doesn't count and it's not against any rules.' (Note, I hadn't rped falling in at all.) Then a barrage of 'Git gud' and 'Type faster'. So, I rage quit, and haven't played since. Speed-Typing ruined an ENTIRE LINE OF GAMES for me, and I think it should be against the rules on most, if not ALL roleplay games.

chevron_leftchevron_leftchevron_left
    of     2