of     1   

iplay
#14477283Monday, September 21, 2009 3:14 AM GMT

OK, here is a place to share information about your language and learn a thing or two from another person's post. Here is the template you can post by: Language: Countries spoken by: (If your language is dead, note that.) Language family (Optional): Writing system: Writing system type: Word order: (S-V-O, O-S-V, etc.) Level of difference from English: (Very different, quite/somewhat different, or closely similar) Grammar complexity: (Very complex, quite/somewhat complex, or simple) Sample: (Show a brief example of your language. If it uses a different writing system, post a Latinization. Also provide a translation to English.) Now here is my post: Language: Japanese (日本語) Countries spoken by: Japan Language family: Japonic Writing system: Kanji and kana Writing system type: Pictographic and syllabic Word order: S-O-V Level of difference from English: Very different Grammar complexity: Simple Sample: こんにちは。お元気ですか?私は日本語を話します。 Konnichiwa. Ogenki desu ka? Watashi wa Nihongo o hanashimasu. (This is Japanese for "Hello. How are you? I speak Japanese.)
Dr01d3k4
#14486074Monday, September 21, 2009 7:20 PM GMT

Language: Latin Countries spoken by: Ancient Romans (Dead) Language family (Optional): Wut? Writing system: Latin Alphabet Writing system type: Eh? Word order: (S-V-O, O-S-V, etc.) S-O-V Level of difference from English: (Very different, quite/somewhat different, or closely similar): Some words are the same but the grammar is different Grammar complexity: (Very complex, quite/somewhat complex, or simple): Hmm, I dunno. I haven't had lessons in a while. I think it is simple-ish.
Phyllystake
#14492468Monday, September 21, 2009 9:46 PM GMT

Language: Hebrew Countries Spoken By: Israel. Language Family: Arabian ( possibly) Writing system: syllabic Writing System Type: Word order: Unknown Level of difference from english: Very Different, but with some minute coincidental similarities. Grammar Complexity: VERY COMPLEX. Sample: ani omer evrit. mah hu omer? Translation: I speak hebrew. what do you speak?
iplay
#14495519Monday, September 21, 2009 10:52 PM GMT

Dr01d3k4, Latin's writing system type would be "phonetic" because each symbol represents a sound. The language family would be the "type" it is. English is a west germanic language. And phyllystake, the word order is the order the words appear. English is S-V-O (subject-verb-object)
Aingeal1992
#14505262Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:46 AM GMT

Language: Irish (Gaeilge) Countries spoken by: Ireland (Éire) Language family: Celtic/Gaelic Writing system: Word order: Verb-Subject-Object Level of difference from English: Fairly different from -modern- English. Englisc (Old English) bares a fairly small resemblance to Irish. Grammar complexity: Simple, depending on how well you know it. Sample: Tá Éire ag líonta le tírdhreach geal. Is iad na daoine iontach agus an radharc iontach é. Tá Éire ina áit iontach chun maireachtáil. [Ireland is filled with bright scenery. The people are wonderful and the sight is great. Ireland is a great place to live.]
Aingeal1992
#14505406Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:49 AM GMT

Forgot to add, it's a "Modified" Latin writing system.
iplay
#14558764Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:50 PM GMT

糸をぶつけています。 Ito o butsukete imasu. Bumping the thread.
bite89
#14559466Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:06 PM GMT

hi
kidnomor
#14562375Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:04 AM GMT

Language: Italiano Countries spoken by: Italia Language family (Optional): Level of difference from English: Very different Grammar complexity: somewhat complex, or simple Sample: .... Italiana e epico.
meatbridge1
#14571882Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:47 AM GMT

Language: German Countries spoken by: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein Language family: Indo-European, Germanic, West Germanic, High Germanic Ä,Ö,Ü, and ß Writing System: Latin alphabet, plus the letters Ä,Ö,Ü, and ß. Word Order: SVO, although verbs tend to retain second order. Similarity to English: Similar Grammar complexity: somewhat complex Sample: Gestern morgen habe ich einen Pfannekuchen gegessen. (I ate a pancake yesterday-morning.)
cakeordeath
#14599253Friday, September 25, 2009 6:33 AM GMT

normally, the verb is the second idea in german. Though some words, like 'weil' send the infinitive to the end of the sentence (e.g, ....statement....weil, es viel Spaß macht!). Other verbs, like modal verbs so this as well (e.g, Ich muss mein Hausaufgaben machen)
cakeordeath
#14599268Friday, September 25, 2009 6:35 AM GMT

note: second idea doesn't mean second word. the example posted by meat bridge shows this "Gestern Morgen | habe (<- the verb) | ich....."
Dragomir
#14599525Friday, September 25, 2009 7:33 AM GMT

Language: Bulgarian Countries spoken by: Bulgaria Language family (Optional): Bulgarian Writing system: Kirilic Writing system type: Kirilic? Word order: А Б В? Level of difference from English: Very different Grammar complexity: Easy for Bulgarians, a little hard for other people. It's like English in that matter. Sample: Аз обичам пица. I like pizza.
iplay
#14616867Friday, September 25, 2009 10:31 PM GMT

For everyone that will add the language family, remove the "(Optional)". I just wanted to point out that you don't have to add that. "Cyrillic", isn't it? Cyrillic is phonetic, right? We don't know what "А Б В" would be. By "complexity", I mean how complex is the buildup, not difficulty. Like, English has various tenses and words to use depending on the word being acted upon, and etc making it complex. And Japanese has a simple buildup because there isn't quite as much of a variety of words and the grammar doesn't go in too many directions. Provide a Latinization for the sample.
HassUndAngst
#14618583Friday, September 25, 2009 11:05 PM GMT

I'll add to this... Bulgarian's word order is Subject-Verb-Object.
meatbridge1
#14638061Saturday, September 26, 2009 6:17 AM GMT

Great name, Hass.
cakeordeath
#14779191Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:04 AM GMT

indeed, fantastic name
Dragomir
#14779324Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:41 AM GMT

What does it mean? And it's Kirilic. Thats how it is, and I don't care how it's in English. I type it how I want it. Кирилица е! А пък вие НИЩО не знаете :D Каквото кажа аз - закон е! :D
cakeordeath
#14782221Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:48 PM GMT

look, you can't go round imposing a dictatorship on everyone. i don't mond if you spell cryllic how you want to, but don't go saying that you're the law of all things
cakeordeath
#14782230Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:49 PM GMT

look, you can't go round imposing a dictatorship on everyone. i don't mind if you spell cryllic how you want to, but don't go saying that you're the ruler of all things and they must bow down to you or they die
Dragomir
#14788402Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:03 PM GMT

I actually CAN do it. Though I don't want to. And I'm saying that, because he corrected me for doing it in the languege it IS. That's how it's said, that's how it should be typed, and I don't mind other sayings. But he CORRECTED me for something not actually wrong :)
cakeordeath
#14822918Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:24 PM GMT

ich soll das käse essen!
cakeordeath
#14823153Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:29 PM GMT

woops, forgot the translation: i ought to eat the cheese!
cakeordeath
#14849965Thursday, October 01, 2009 4:45 PM GMT

perhaps i should start a thread purely about german?

of     1