of     1   

TaiWolf1234
#149708479Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:22 PM GMT

Remember that fairytale collab I made a couple weeks ago? This is related to it. After weeks of contemplation, this is what I've established so far: The RP will start out in modern London. The event (I'll look for some folktale that will be the general explanation for it, like Ragnarok or something) that spawns the fairytale characters in London - we will call them Dreamers or Fantasts or something like that - will have no known explanation. Regardless, they cause a disturbance, and even panic, among the locals and must be relocated to a city reserved particularly for them. Now this is where I'm at a crossroads. When it comes down to what plotline to use, I'm sort of on the fence: A) We can take the traditional route, and have the characters be relocated to a guarded city that the "Dreamers" believe is a safe haven, but turns out to be more of a prison. The conflict in this is pretty obvious- the "Dreamers" would retaliate against the humans and initiate a sort of "civil war". or, B) The "Dreamers" can be relocated to a city isolated from the rest of society, where they can adjust to this new world (the city wouldn't be as guarded, but they would have a "staff" that helps maintain the city, such as an assigned governor, perhaps business managers, etc.). While exploring our characters' minds can be fun, it's not fun for everyone, and the biggest problem with this plot is that there is no predetermined conflict- that would depend solely on the RPers. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. However, I was also thinking that, if we go along with this idea, the city could have been built especially for them just days after they spawned in London, which raises the question: "Were they aware of our coming?" That could open up a whole new set of doors and give us a conflict to build off of. Maybe I'm just overthinking this? I don't know. Any thoughts/suggestions?
mageofpower
Top 100 Poster
#149708800Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:27 PM GMT

Anything but A. (And isn't the whole point of Ragnarok that everybody but two people die?)
TaiWolf1234
#149709139Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:32 PM GMT

Okay. And I don't know, Ragnarok was an example of a folkloric event. I'm going to look for one that's more relevant- and if all else fails, I'll make one up.
Tikobe
#149709317Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:35 PM GMT

Why doesn't something else get through? All of the folklore I read always had some evil person, and in Ragnarok, wasn't there a giant flaming person?
TaiWolf1234
#149709798Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:43 PM GMT

Well, see, if we took the 'B' route, I was going to allow RPers to use fairytale/folktale villains, such as the Queen of Hearts from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I was actually hoping to establish a "Gotham"-esque atmosphere (if you've seen the show) if we used plotline B, where factions/"families" form among the characters and a struggle for power is initiated, which would probably create tensions between the fairy/folktale characters and the humans that placed them in the city anyway. But, frankly, I'd like to create a more rigid plotline. Open RPs like that, where the development of the RP depends more on the participants than the OP, never work out too well. But I like your idea Tikobe. Some sort of threat that transcends above all others spawns in London, as well. Heck, the RP could just take place in London.
rockmax2112alt
#149709904Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:45 PM GMT

I am in but what does the government do about the fairytale character people and qhat does the media think
mageofpower
Top 100 Poster
#149709974Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:46 PM GMT

Well, see, if we took the 'B' route, I was going to allow RPers to use fairytale/folktale villains, such as the Queen of Hearts from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I was actually hoping to establish a "Gotham"-esque atmosphere (if you've seen the show) ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fables_(comics)
TaiWolf1234
#149709979Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:46 PM GMT

That's what we're trying to establish, Rock. And the media will do what it already does- instill fear in the hearts of London citizens.
TaiWolf1234
#149710131Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:48 PM GMT

I've never even heard of that, Mage. But now that I have, I'm going to read about it and see if it plants any new ideas. I'm much obliged, madam.
rockmax2112alt
#149710215Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:50 PM GMT

Oh Government dismiss media hype that fairytale character people exist and say they are normal peoples
mageofpower
Top 100 Poster
#149710361Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:52 PM GMT

I've never even heard of that, Mage. But now that I have, I'm going to read about it and see if it plants any new ideas. I'm much obliged, madam. You're very welcome dear lady.
TaiWolf1234
#149710388Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:52 PM GMT

They spawn among London locals, Rock. Not just in dark alleys where no one dares ventures.
rockmax2112alt
#149710825Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:59 PM GMT

But still oh wait new perspective is given alright
TheRealKhiione
#149711297Friday, November 14, 2014 12:06 AM GMT

'A' sounds too commonplace. The idea of a kind of war doesn't seem like it would get to far. It would need more originality, and require you to add some twists and interest to get it rolling. The idea of role-players making their own conflict(s) and story doesn't seem like it would get too far either. If you set up an antagonist as a source of conflict and aid with the plot, it might advance somewhere (and that somewhere could be down the toilet.) These are only my personal opinions and may hold no importance to you. You could also try to fuse some of the ideas from A and B, though I don't know what that would look like.
rockmax2112alt
#149711438Friday, November 14, 2014 12:08 AM GMT

TANGO SUCKA I GO FOR B FOR FREE ROAM/SANDBOX
TaiWolf1234
#149711658Friday, November 14, 2014 12:12 AM GMT

I appreciate the feedback, Khiione, and your opinion is totally valid. What would you think of a threat that emerges with the Dreamers/Fantasts/whatever? It could work, but what I want to avoid is as follows: The characters spawn in London with addled minds, but when they notice that they are not alone - for a greater evil has arrived with them - they establish a common goal to defeat the big frightening monster and save London. Upon doing so, they're deemed heroes and are welcomed into the community, yeah woohoo. Regardless of what we choose, I still want one of the settings to be a city located among the rolling hills of Wales. Just because.
rockmax2112alt
#149711761Friday, November 14, 2014 12:14 AM GMT

How about Somewhere in germany, as many well known fairy tales are from there. I mean, grimm brothers, you know. Anyway, I dont have feedback since I already think this is a good idea.

of     1