of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

timpookie
#155758571Wednesday, February 11, 2015 4:00 PM GMT

It's been a while since I've posted one of my solo works, so I figure that I may as well try to do it with one of the more unique concepts I've come up with over the past few months. I have others in mind, if people here want me to write more. Additionally, if people like this, I may do spinoffs (But nothing like what I did for Arloth!) Table of Contents 1) Storyline 2) Communication, Weaponry and Transportation 3) Landscape and Important Locations 4) Rules 5) CS 6) Admins and Credits 1) Storyline (1 The famous Battle of Hastings was fought on the fourteenth of October, 1066. It's one of the most important things that you have to learn in school, growing up where I did. Everyone knows the story of how William the Conqueror, leading his army of Normans, conquered England, and establishing the government that would rule more of the Brittish Isles than anything since the Romans (eventually surpassing them in not only Brittain, but by conquering a third of the world). However, in order for William the Conqueror to conquer England, Rome has first to fall, fracturing and splintering, being overrun by barbarians. As it is today, the fourteenth of October, 5066. The Sol Government fell nearly 2,500 years ago splintering the solar system, and allowing for new cultures to take root in the ruins. Most of the Solar System was conquered by the Sol Government all those years ago, aside from Venus. Certainly all of the Inner Solar System, and most major moons of the Outer. Any asteroid large enough to be deformed into a sphere, such as Ceres and Vesta, in the Inner Solar System had at least one or two settlements, and, in fact, mankind once even took it unto itself to create a third dwarf planet in the Inner Belt, forcing a collision between Juno and Pallas, and adding nearly a hundred smaller asteroids into the mix, leaving Junopallas, a dwarf planet with one major metropolitan area. There were even early ventures into the Kuiper Belt before the Sol Government fell. It was a combination of political instability, corporate corruption and rebellion that led to the destruction of Earth as a planet suitable for human civilization, and that sparked a war setting back technology by almost a millenium, preventing further exploration and indeed even blocking off communications with other parts of the former Sol Government. But I digress. With the fall of the Sol Government, the kingdom was fractured. The two governments on Oberon (Or Uranus 4, if you want to be technical about it), ironically named New Normandy and New Hastings, have been the most successful on this moon over the past millenium or so (Other strong military powers have risen and fallen since the fall of the Sol Government, splintering and reforming, much like the asteroid belts and planetoids of newly forming solar systems), and were the only two left, seeing as the rest have conquered one another, and have in turn been conquered by these two. Lord General Orpheus Williamson of New Normandy, believing it to be poetic, decided to launch an all out assault on New Hastings on this day. Ah, what a fool he was, for the four thousandth anniversary of one of the most important days in human history is not to be disregarded to simply! I warned him against this, but he refused to listen to me. So, what was I to do - listen to Williamson's commands, knowing them to be foolish and to potentially lead to my demise, or turncoat, and have the assurance of not only my survival, but that of my family? And so, the Battle of New Hastings City ended abruptly, with the armies of New Normandy significantly crippled, and New Hastings expanding outwards, conquering all of Oberon. And now, with Oberon finally free of being plagued by wars such as these, from it's capital of New Normandy, a new space program was started, in attempts to see if other such fractured kingdoms still exist out there... ~ The Private Diaries of Governor Henry Erikson, Third Governor of New Normandy under New Hastings rule 2) Communication, Weaponry and Transportation (2 Communication on the scale of Oberon is rather simple - Satellites up in the sky help to relay radio signals for the military and a form of internet for the civilians, cell towers and visual media (movies, TV) exist for communication and recreation. However, as the New Hastings Government seeks to expand, it is attempting to develop some frequency and concentration of radios with strong enough encryption for future outposts on, say, Umbriel, to be able to send a radio signal to Oberon without it being intercepted and decoded by local enemy governments. Weaponry is much the same as it was on Earth in the 21st century, except that, due to the amount of armour that is commonly worn (oftentimes full suits of Kevlar or, for important officials, Graphene) to protect against bullets, it's not uncommon to give ammunition explosive properties, poison or high-voltage, high-wattage electric charge. Additionally, small handheld explosives exist, as do missiles and bombs, though handheld weaponry is more common than that which can cause high collateral damage due to sheer expensiveness. Transportation, too, is similar to that of 21st century Earth, except for a few noticeable differences. For instance, air vehicles are often more massive, due to lower gravity and escape velocity, and land vehicles are designed more for rocky terrain (when used outside of big cities). 3) Landscape and Important Locations (3 The landscape of Oberon is as it has been for millions of years - Barren and rocky, other than the man-made settlements, often called either cities or domes. Within the cities and domes, however, you may find that there's liquid water, temperatures designed for human survival, vegetation and other things of that description. There are almost a hundred Domes, all of them home to approximately a thousand to a hundred thousand people each. The most prominent Domes are as follows: New Hastings: Both the name of the nation and the capital city, New Hastings was, until recently, considered to be one of the safest places out there - far from the warfare of the borderline Domes. However, after the New Normans so foolishly went for an all-out assault on New Hastings, nearly destroying the protective Dome during the air battles, many people don't feel safe, despite knowing, logically, that it's the most secure place on Oberon. It's population is slightly over 96,000, being the most populous Dome on Oberon. New Normandy: Formerly the capital of a kingdom of the same name, New Normandy is, for the current moment, near anarchic due to the unseating of the government and the civilian-police clashes that followed. Now it is a police-military state, despite the fact that the New Hastings Government seeks to give it all the same rights as the rest of the moon after the rioting is done with. It is the second most populous Dome on Oberon, with a population of roughly 77,000. New Lancashire: Another former capital, recently conquered City, it's been under New Hastings rule for about twenty years, and in that time has grown to accept it's new leaders, albeit grudgingly. It is now the literary capital of Oberon, and perhaps all of Uranus or even the Outer Solar System - There's no way to know for sure. It's population is roughly 44,000, the third most populous Dome on Oberon. New Aquitaine: What New Lancashire is to literacy, New Aquitaine is to agriculture. It's been under the rulership of New Lancashire for generations, and under the control of New Hastings for the past forty years. It's population is 30,000, the fourth most populous Dome on Oberon, and the least populous of the "Great Domes", with all the rest of the Domes having populations of 15,000 or under. New Burgandy: A prominent College-Town formerly under New Norman rule, it surrendered peacefully and, for the most part, it's citizens are more than happy that now their minds can be put to use at something other than bloodshed. It is also noticeable for being right in the centre of the Falstaff crater (Though taking up a fraction of it that is not all too noticeable). It has a small population compared to other influential Domes, at a mere 6,700 (Though still quite a bit larger than about seventy Domes). The total population of Oberon is about 453,000, leaving ample room for the creation of new Domes. 4) Rules (4 1) Yes, this is a free-roam. I have a hard time with storyline structured RPs nowadays, I figure I'll work on that sometime later. 2) Wait until being accepted by an admin before beginning. 3) Please fill out the CS in it's entirety, and be as detailed as possible without adding in ludicrous amounts of unnecessary detail. 4) Only join if you intend to be active. 5) Naming conventions tend to be as follows for people: A first name, generally either English or French, though it's also not unheard of for the first name to be named after characters of Grecian folklore (Though never the Roman equivalent, strangely enough). This is followed often by a middle name of the same nature, and then a surname, generally formed by taking an English first name and adding "-son" to the end of it (Ericson, Williamson), with colors (generally just Green, Black, White, Brown and Grey) or with ancient professions (Smith, Miller). This is a rule due to the fact that I don't want someone with a strange name to break the atmosphere of the RP. 6) Feel free to create your own Dome. Domes are often named after English or French cities or provinces, generally preceded by the word "New". The Dome need not be similar at all to the location it was named for. 7) Common attire and culture I have selectively decided not to work on, such that I do not choose something too alien or too common for people interested to join. However, after about thirty to fifty pages, expect the basics of Oberonian culture to be laid out, and once culture has been established, I would prefer there to be no instances at all where it is disregarded. 8) There will be ventures into space eventually, but I'd first like to spend enough time on Oberon to develop a culture, a civilization and a planet worth caring about. So, at least for now, no starting in space. This will likely change within about thirty pages. 9) No RPing unless an admin in the RP is online and willing to monitor the RP so as to make sure all rules are enforced. 5) CS (5 Character: Name: Age: Appearance: Clothing: Dome of Origin: Dome of Residence: Occupation: Bio: Personality: Other Dome: Name: Age: Population: Brief History: Governor: Primary Economy: 6) Admins and Credits (6 Timpookie: Credited with typing this up over the course of two hours at times that are simply ridiculous. He typed up all 1871 words, six pages worth of Microsoft Word, with no assistance and no proofreading, other than that done by himself. Anyone else I deem worthy of this title.
birm123
#155767201Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:19 PM GMT

You have attracted my interest. Mark.
timpookie
#155780641Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:03 AM GMT

(Bump) (Also Birm, feel free to make a character whenever you want, I have school in a few minutes so I won't post mine for about seven hours.)
duck14
#155780833Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:06 AM GMT

(Might join.)
birm123
#155781557Thursday, February 12, 2015 12:17 AM GMT

[Oh hell, timezones are gonna be a bish for this...] Character: Name: Alice Black[I resisted the urge to do Sirius Black, heh..] Age: Approaching her twentieth year. Appearance: A tall woman[or teen, I suppose] with long brown hair that goes down to her rear when let loose, however most of the time it's made in a way that won't have her hair flying everywhere[a habit started by her mother; she despised her long hair, always]. Her eyes are blue, and many men describe her as a pretty looking girl. Clothing: Normally, she wears general standard clothing for the time period, but when she's feeling particularly important or extravagant she'll put on a fancy looking dress or skirt. Dome of Origin: New Normandy[following the fall of the nation New Normandy, her and the rest of her family moved there to avoid the almost obvious riots] Dome of Residence: New Hastings[It took a while, but her mother was finally able to get her and her family a place of residence. At the moment she lives in a house separate from her original New Hastings housing. Occupation: Alice specializes in computer skills, programming, repairing radios, the like. Bio: Alice was born in New Normandy[as stated before], and her mother and father were moderately wealthy. Her education was taken to new levels, and she's quite knowledgeable and intelligent[especially in computers]. Despite this, she spent a little too much time programming, and while not being overweight, she's still rather athletic, and would gladly develop something new for computers than go running. Personality: Generally a kind woman, though she can be quite rude to strangers[excuse the lack of effort into this, hopefully the rest of it can make up for it, I prefer to make personalities in RP since it can be hard to follow set ones] Other
HygenistHygenist6
#155787093Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:35 AM GMT

Character Name: Jean-Prométhée (John Prometheus in French, basically) Age: 24 Appearance:A thin man, with long black hair. Ashen of countenance. Has eyes like two saucers of milk, with a band of grey surrounding a black dot floating in the middle. He is tall, but not exceptionally so. Clothing:White, loose-fitting robes. Dome of Origin: a small unrecorded New Norman dome, with a population of 700 Dome of Residence: He wanders from dome to dome, spreading his message. Occupation: Traveling “Preacher” Bio: Born to two wealthy aristocrats in a rural part of New Normandy, he had a fairly normal rich child ‘s childhood until his seventh birthday. Several hours after his mother put him to bed, she heard a cry come from Jean’s room. What she saw as she rushed in there she never said, but made clear that it was horrible beyond measure. Upon seeing this monstrous sight, she fainted. Waking up an unknown amount of time later, she rushed over to Jean’s bed to find him sleeping soundly, with a black scar in the shape of a celtic cross right in the middle of his forehead. Her husband was nowhere to be found in the house, though there were signs of a struggle and tracks that the local constable later followed to the dome’s airlock. After this experience, of which Jean claims no memory, he began to receive visions. He saw (often) “A black burnished glass dome, of immense and unfathomable size, rising in the east. On it were massive carvings, depictions of debased rites of unimaginable grotesqueness. Clearly, I saw the Red Priest take his seat at the right hand of the King in Black, as their masked followers prostrated themselves at its base. I watched as the banners of the King in Black’s armies slowly and surely marched across all of Oberon, spreading his rule over the world.” At the age of 18, his mother died. Having no kin to tie him to his home, he left his dome to warn the world against this horror. Personality: Timid and nervous, always looking from side to side or behind him. When speaking of the future, however, he is grave and monotonal. Other Dome: Name: La Dôme Noire (The Black Dome) Age: Unknown Population: Unknown Brief History: The black dome of Jean’s visions. He knows not how it will rise, where it comes from, or where it will be. He believes it will be revealed to him in a future vision. Governor: The King in Black, a mysterious and enigmatic figure. Here is how Jean describes him: “A figure cloaked in a beam of shadow from the heavens, only the barest outline could be seen. Save for the eyes, which glowed like fire.” Primary Economy: N/A
timpookie
#155804877Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:17 AM GMT

(Birm, accepted.) (Hygenist, accepted for one small minor detail. All Domes are known, and have sizeable populations of generally at least a thousand. The reason for all of them being known is that they were constructed in a time of peace and expansion, where the flow of the economy was tracked carefully. However, the Black Dome is okay, as it could easily be schizophrenia or other insanity (Or the dome of another of the "kingdoms" from another celestial body that they established after the fall of the Sol Government) and makes for interesting plot, I'd assume.)
duck14
#155805249Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:42 AM GMT

(Also is there any chance of Arloth making a return? It was a great series and it is a great shame that it never got to develop.)
timpookie
#155805351Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:49 AM GMT

(As much as I'd like it to make a comeback, other people have been woven into integral parts of the plot, and nobody other than the two of us are active)
duck14
#155805519Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:01 AM GMT

(It's a shame but surely they can be made NPCs or something of that sort to allow the story to go on. We could even allow others to join.)
HygenistHygenist6
#155809892Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:18 PM GMT

@Timpookie (How about instead he was born in Nouveau Toulouse (New Toulouse), a (relatively) small farming community of about 1,500?)
timpookie
#155809941Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:21 PM GMT

(That works. If you don't mind doing so, can you please also fill out at least a brief CS for Nouveau Toulouse, if mostly just for a brief history of it? An example of a brief history would be something akin to "Formerly under the rule of New Normandy, they were then conquered by New Hastings following the Battle of New Hastings", more detail than my example would be preferable but not really mandatory.)
HygenistHygenist6
#155810209Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:39 PM GMT

@Timpookie (Will do, expect the CS for Nouveau Toulouse shortly)
HygenistHygenist6
#155810493Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:56 PM GMT

Dome: Name:Nouveau Toulouse Age: Seventy years old, give or take a few years Population: about 1,500 Brief History: Established by New Lancashire as a supplemental agricultural supply in case New Aquitaine should fall, it was conquered by the Normans about twenty years after it was first settled. They used it as a FOB to launch numerous unsuccessful small raids against New Aquitaine and the surrounding communities right up until New Normandy was conquered. Since then, it has been under the direct control of New Hastings' military. Governor: General Albert Black Primary Economy: Agriculture
rockmax2112alt
#155810683Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:07 PM GMT

Da, comrade tim! You finally realize the power of bullets!
timpookie
#155810710Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:09 PM GMT

(Accepted.) (Sorry if it took me a while, I just wrote another RP and I'm trying to find out why the filters don't like it.)
rockmax2112alt
#155810762Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:12 PM GMT

Something quick to note, tim, is that there are Armour piercing bullets out there. Take the 5.7 caliber bullwt. High penetration meant for damaging body armor.
timpookie
#155810970Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:21 PM GMT

(I honestly have no clue what that means.)
rockmax2112alt
#155812140Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:09 PM GMT

It means that there are bullets out there specifically designed to pierce Kevlar. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor-piercing_shot_and_shell http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7%C3%9728mm
HygenistHygenist6
#155831349Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:57 PM GMT

Bumping for you, Tim, now that there are more people on.
timpookie
#155862941Friday, February 13, 2015 7:53 AM GMT

(Thank you, Hyg. I'll have my CS up shortly, I am still considering character concepts. I have a few interesting ones in mind, I guess I'll just roll a d20 to find out what to make.)
Coriandr
#155910099Saturday, February 14, 2015 2:47 AM GMT

tl;dr Maybe I'll read it later. Tracking o3o I didn't choose the snowman life; the snowman life chose me.
HygenistHygenist6
#155978727Sunday, February 15, 2015 12:06 AM GMT

(So Tim, how's that CS coming along?)
TNTJack
#155980424Sunday, February 15, 2015 12:25 AM GMT

(Torn between whether I read the rules right and will get slapped with some more, or the fact this is extremely done and great... I'll write up a CS just incase.)
duck14
#155982197Sunday, February 15, 2015 12:46 AM GMT

(Still have to make my CS.)

of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right