of     1   

Ithesportsbomb
#188759717Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:05 AM GMT

football: controversial. we get a bigger fan section than any other sport, but its pretty small compared to other schools. team has sucked perennially, that contributes. also due to the cold weather and the fact that its not a historical program. we should be good next year basketball: gets decent crowds relative to other schools. for certain games the fan section is big. back when the team was top level d2 in the state, every single seat was filled and people would line the walls and hallway to watch. it was crazy. team is decent now and should be great next year because were moving down a division in everything but football due to enrollment baseball: truthfully no one cares. the team always hovers around .500. pretty much a sport where only a couple fellow athletes that are friends with baseball athletes will go to see
Ithesportsbomb
#188759865Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:07 AM GMT

field hockey: similar crowds to baseball, but for senior night and playoffs they draw HUGE crowds. field hockey is annually one of the best teams in new england, and thats not an exaggeration. students love to praise the team, but truthfully dont pay attention until the playoffs cross country: no one cares, the team is tiny, and most if not all the "runners" do other running sports. should be a good team next year moving down a division girls cross country: again, no one cares. i think they might be better than the boys team, but im not sure. actually a very large roster for this team
Ithesportsbomb
#188759999Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:10 AM GMT

soccer: soccer players get all the ladies cause theyre all partyers. team is garbage though. not huge crowds, but some friends of players (especially girls with crushes) go to the games golf: possibly the most irrelevant team here. miniscule roster, no one does it as their main sport. no one could tell you who the best golfer is, or whether or not they win matches (they dont) girls soccer: some popular girls play, teams not that good. the players really care about the team, but no one outside the team does
Ithesportsbomb
#188760161Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:12 AM GMT

girls basketball: trash, not that many people care, but i do think its the most relevant girls sport aside from field hockey (which is technically co-ed). theyll get a few fans that are fellow students, mostly if not exclusively mens basketball players. home opener and senior night draw those big crowds
Ithesportsbomb
#188760243Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:14 AM GMT

wrestling: not many people go to matches, but the team is respected. decent team with some real good individuals. almost all wrestlers are multi-sport athletes indoor track: no one cares about it, the team is small and bad. pretty sure that EVERYONE who does it does track girls indoor track: again, no one cares. all the girls on the team do other running sports
Ithesportsbomb
#188760291Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:15 AM GMT

cheerleading: well the cheer team only exists for boys basketball, we cancelled it from football several years back. also theres a flamer guy on the team. a couple hotties though, but only 1 whose really stuck up
Ithesportsbomb
#188760376Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:16 AM GMT

softball: girls who play really care, and they seem to have a close-knit friend group. relevant to girls, a few guys will go to support at home games. not a good team girls golf: think they suck but im not sure. completely irrelevant girls tennis: think they suck but im not sure. completely irrelevant
Ithesportsbomb
#188760463Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:18 AM GMT

boys track: the most popular of male running sports. not too many of the guys on the team, if any are truly popular. almost all of them do multiple sports. decent team girls track: similar to boys track in unity and talent level. size is a bit smaller
Diskerud
#188760824Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:25 AM GMT

Football at our school: Deep private school Texas tradition. Sell out every game at our stadium (stadium probably holds 2,000) Only have four regular season losses in the last 4 years Game against our biggest rivals every year always sees attendance of 10,000+ Tickets are sold for $10 and each of our schools make thousands of dollars off the game Had our rivalry game at NRG Stadium this year Former Texas A&M quarterback and current Baltimore Raven Jerrod Johnson was an assistant coach. This might seem amazing to you, but it has its downsides. All sports and sports money revolve around the football program, the football coach has a lot more power than he should, and the football program's pull trickles down to the admissions office, the business office, and the classroom sometimes
Ithesportsbomb
#188761087Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:29 AM GMT

i would honestly love if football was that relevant here tickets are $5 and the only people who actually pay are adults - students just barge in weve had terrible coaching, but again, i think this year well be special. record for wins in a season is 6 (6-4). 1 playoff appearance and 0 playoff wins in the programs history (began in 2000) fortunately players are getting more engaged in part due to senior leadership this offseason, and really lifting and bulking up. we got a new ad who actually cares about the team, and were getting great new unifroms for the first time in program history. weve had some real talented athletes (legit d1 caliber), but they all didnt play for some reason or another
TheWdonald61
#188761149Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:30 AM GMT

Basketball where I live is huge, there's huge rivalries between different high schools (which are nearby from each other) Trust me, they hate each other. High school football - pretty big. empty seats during night games but it's great to watch Hockey - Not that big, they're building an ice rink at my local recreation center so that may hint a hockey team (I may try out) volleyball - (why did I add this)? Girl's volleyball is quite big surprisingly. One of the schools here won a championship. (Had alot of fans and people recording with their phones)
Ithesportsbomb
#188761233Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:31 AM GMT

ya, basketball used to be the dominant sport here, now its football. back when basketball was legit contending for state titles, everyone in the district went to the games. it was insane.
TheWdonald61
#188761700Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:39 AM GMT

Fan Attendance is huge in basketball, my local high school had a white-out. (I honestly didn't think basketball games here would sell-out, it proved to be a very tough place to play for the opponent). The only thing about football, is that my local field is horrible, it virtually hasn't been cared for in years. (You should see it during a rain storm) Baseball: It's alright. The local little league team has pretty good attendance, but it's mostly full of parents and family members.
FIRECAKE
#188762729Sunday, May 08, 2016 12:57 AM GMT

interesting thread, i will contribute by giving you our top sports only because we have a lot of teams available and i probably couldn't even name them all to be honest 1. football: state champion runner ups, undefeated in the regular season for 3 straight years, every single game with good weather is absolutely packed. the only time we don't fill the stands is if it rains. the round before the state playoffs we had a home game because of our seeding and there were people parked 3 or 4 rows deep on the lawn of the school (parking lots hold 1000+ cars), it was standing room only wrapping around the entire stadium, incredible atmosphere. we are projected to be just as good next year as long as some key players in my grade rise to fill some spots that are getting left open by our long time roiders who are absolutely jacked and graduating. football takes absolutely all the attention. it's the most fun to watch and attend and you're bound to know somebody who plays or at least know somebody who knows somebody. i really like most of the football dudes, not the typical jerk jocks (most of them) and they love to interact with the crowd at games. 2. girls basketball: we made a pretty deep playoff run, but for some reason very few people attended any of the games except for the round before we got eliminated (home game). seats were filled but otherwise a quiet night. back to back county champs. all of the girls who ball are basically known for that and that alone. we have a few all-county starters in my grade so next year we should be excellent. 3. girls volleyball: one of my favorite memories from high school was traveling with our girls vball team when they made a really deep run my freshman year. nobody goes anymore, but we still win the county every year and make an OK run in the playoffs. the girl i'm taking to prom is the captain, shameless plug for ya boi. probably some of the best female pure athletes in the school play volleyball, not very popular but very good at sports for the most part. 4. boys lax: state champions last year and runner ups the year before, heading to playoffs this year with another county championship under our belts. absolute dyansty, multiple D1 commits every year the past 2 years (the trend isn't going to continue lol, we aint that good anymore). not many people go to the games though, because the laxbros party hard and are basically stigmatized because they pull mad poon and get hammered all the time. i'm friends with a few of them, can't say i disagree that they're not the most fun to hang out with if you don't also play lax. 5. girls soccer: really good as well, but again not many people go. probably the most attractive sports team (other than dudes lax if you're a chick) and they have made a few deep playoff runs where we got to see them play at some big time stadiums in baltimore a couple times in the past few years. most of them are friends with the laxbros. 6. track & field: we actually started dominating this year and it's going to continue into the next year. i've lost track of how many records we've set but it's been a lot, especially on the boys side. i have a lot of friends who run track but as a collective unit they are pretty weird bunch. i mostly keep to the more sane side of the track geeks but trust me there are some weirdos. the kinda dudes who run around the school and pull each others socks down between classes because ?????? other than that our teams are mostly garbage. girls softball is pulling out a county championship but i've never heard of them doing anything in the playoffs, so we shall see there.
TheWdonald61
#188762916Sunday, May 08, 2016 1:00 AM GMT

^ Your school teams are awesome. Besides Basketball and football. (which are competitive). Other sports blows.
TheWdonald61
#188762964Sunday, May 08, 2016 1:00 AM GMT

by the way, that was intended for my sports culture, sorry.
FIRECAKE
#188763116Sunday, May 08, 2016 1:03 AM GMT

yeah some really great athletes have popped up kinda out of nowhere in the past year and have started carrying our teams. like i knew our girls PG was really good but when i finally started going to games i saw that she just absolutely drains 3s. i mess with her whenever i see her wearing her steph curry jersey in the hallway, "HOLY #### STEPH GIMME AN AUTOGRAPH"
TheWdonald61
#188763268Sunday, May 08, 2016 1:06 AM GMT

Girl's Basketball is good around here, not as much attendance as men's, but they made a pretty good run in the playoffs. They were destroyed in semis though lol.
milanfan
#188763465Sunday, May 08, 2016 1:09 AM GMT

My School Football: Won the state title back to back years and a few before that. We got a new coach b/c he left but games are always lit. Basketball: If you know what state I live in then you may know him but out school has an NBA Hall of Famer, but B-Ball games now are like men, we usually go .500 and miss state tournament. Soccer: Meh. Most people come to the games but also the Baseball/Softball complex is right next to it. Baseball: I literally have no idea. Softball: Read Baseball. Volleyball: Eh, I usually go when my mom has to watch over. (She is a teacher, and teaches me.) Other: Meh.

of     1