Z0rr0w
#192888417Tuesday, July 05, 2016 9:16 PM GMT

"I see. How many enchantments can I fit on this?" I ask. I think about what I want to enchant this axe with. Fire or frost appeal most to me, but I'm not sure which of the two I want. This axe was forged in the desert, so maybe it's more fitting to enchant it with fire.
benzo2
#192890216Tuesday, July 05, 2016 9:37 PM GMT

"Theoretically, as many as terms and phrases you can fit onto the item." she says after a short pause. "Though, there are many variables that go into determining the strength of each enchantment, none of which have successfully been argued to be the most prominent. That is, to say, the size of the wording, as well as which particular words are used." "You may have noticed that the 'Catalogue of Enchantments' I handed you is, more or less, a translation book of Ancient Elven, dating back to the High Elves." she explains to you quickly. "Their language, though largely lost to the Ages, is the key to the power of enchanting. Some find that using 'flames' is more potent for enchanting a weapon with such, where as 'fire' is more potent for fire protection enchantments."
benzo2
#192890614Tuesday, July 05, 2016 9:41 PM GMT

(Sorry, forgot a chunk of enchanting description. It's kind of complicated, yet simplistic at the same time.) "Also, you may not want to attempt to throw too many enchantments onto items to begin with." the Sosfur professor warns you. "You'll notice that each subsequent enchantment with sap more strength from you than the last. If you push yourself too far before you are more experienced, one of two things may happen; You'll end up sapping yourself into a state of comatose, from which some unfortunate souls never recover, or you'll end up shattering the item as it becomes overcharged with energy."
Z0rr0w
#192891301Tuesday, July 05, 2016 9:49 PM GMT

It's almost like she read my mind and knew what I wanted to enchant this axe with. I'll start with just one enchantment for now. I may come back to add another later. I flip through the book for the Ancient Elven word for "flames." Once I've found it, I begin on the task of enchanting my weapon. I look at the weapon's blade, and note the now-unreadable inscription near its bottom. "To my dearest brother, I love you" was what it once said. Maybe when I'm somewhere private, I'll trace over the inscription to make it legible again. I wipe a stray tear from my eye, then begin to write the Ancient Elven just above my sister's inscription.
benzo2
#192891865Tuesday, July 05, 2016 9:56 PM GMT

Finding the word, fimara, you begin to write the word carefully above the prior inscription. As your tool begin slowly sliding over the axe blade, you can almost see a faint orange glow being left behind with each letter. Finishing the last vowel, you watch the word flare up in orange for a second before the light seems to slide down the blade's length and melt away, though never entirely disappearing. "Everyone always goes for fire, first." you hear the professor chuckle, then clapping you gently on the shoulder. "But very few write their first enchantment so powerfully. Whatever thoughts you summoned while writing, they were very powerful indeed." she says with a nod. "You'll make a fine enchanter with experience. A very fine enchanter indeed."
Z0rr0w
#192892465Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:03 PM GMT

"Oh, thank you," I say, setting the tool back down onto the table and looking up at the professor. "Is that all I have to do?" I ask, feeling as though there's something else. Enchanting can't really be that quick and easy, can it?
benzo2
#192892895Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:08 PM GMT

Looking at the now-enchanted weapon, she looks back at you and shakes her head politely. "The rest is up to you, I'm afraid. You won't truly know the strength of your enchantment until you go and test it out. If you find it to be too weak, then you can try added more terms, such as 'burning' and 'melt' and see which combinations best strengthen it." "Our libraries are currently rather slim as far as Ancient Elven, but you may be able to find more pieces throughout Farindall's bookstores."
Z0rr0w
#192893197Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:11 PM GMT

Guess I might be coming back here if this enchantment isn't enough. But, while I'm here, there's something else I might want to do. I take my axe off the table and put it back in its sheathe. "Is it possible for me to enchant this cloak as well?" I ask, gently tugging and emphasizing the cloak my sister had made for me.
benzo2
#192893449Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:14 PM GMT

She looks at the cloak closely, then points towards the beige runes upon it. "Not onto the cloak itself, unless there is metal or leather durable enough; I fear cloth would rip under the arcane etch." she explains, then shrugging. "Though, in theory, you could enchant a small tablet and, if possible, infuse it into the cloak. That should then spread the enchantment, depending upon what the inscription is."
Z0rr0w
#192893709Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:17 PM GMT

"Seems a bit above my level right now, so maybe another time," I say as I step away from the enchanting fable. "Thank you for your help today. What's your name, professor?"
benzo2
#192894141Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:22 PM GMT

"Professor Sutain, and it was my pleasure." she says with a nod. "If you ever find yourself in need of more enchanting knowledge, the Augurium is always open to students of the Magisterium."
Z0rr0w
#192894772Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:31 PM GMT

I nod to the professor, then make my way out of the Augurium. I should still have quite a bit of time left in the day to do what I'd like. I start to head towards the area of the Magisterium where I can work more on my own magical abilities.
benzo2
#192895032Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:34 PM GMT

Exiting the enchanters' Augurium and proceeding over to the schools of magic area, you begin to scan the names of the buildings to see where you might begin. You see a general lecture hall, as well as a library, among several smaller buildings each labeled with one or two areas of magic and the current professor dwelling inside.
Z0rr0w
#192895343Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:38 PM GMT

Probably best to start with one of the smaller buildings, and to start with something I can already grasp. I look around for a building labeled "Destruction," then head inside of it.
benzo2
#192895891Tuesday, July 05, 2016 10:44 PM GMT

Finding the study hall marked 'All Things Burn, Professor Maxil,' you proceed inside to find an older, male Imperial talking, more or less to himself, as half a dozen students of varying races sat around the room, noses buried into various books as they were jotting down notes. As you watched, the Imperial was writing simple techniques for Destruction casting while some of the students could be seen tinkering around with small sparks or flames hovering in their palms as they studied.
Z0rr0w
#192918450Wednesday, July 06, 2016 3:15 AM GMT

Is this just a basics class that I walked into? Doesn't hurt to stick around for awhile. Not too many people here, but maybe this is the average number of students for one of these smaller buildings. I head deeper into the class and find a place to take a seat.
benzo2
#192918899Wednesday, July 06, 2016 3:21 AM GMT

Finding a place to sit, you listen in as the professor began going over the power vs convenience of on-touch and on-target spells. He explains that, typically, a spell will be more powerful the closer it is to the caster, for example, a shard of ice begins melting away and thus, does less structural damage the further from the caster it travels.
Z0rr0w
#192973262Wednesday, July 06, 2016 8:27 PM GMT

I thought that learning more about magic would be a bit more hands-on. That was how enchanting was, but I guess everyone has their own style of teaching. No point in leaving though, I'm sure I can still get something out of this. I stay seated and pay attention, though I don't take notes like some of the other students.
benzo2
#192973886Wednesday, July 06, 2016 8:34 PM GMT

The professor continues going over basic casting techniques before then discussing the benefits and negatives of dual-casting spells. "Some casters find wielding two different spells can have devastating effects, but be cautious of which two you wield. Those of opposite natures, such as a fireball and ice shard, will end up consuming more energy than casting one of each. If, however, you choose shock and fire, being both elements of heat, you will find yourself having a much easier time casting with speed and accuracy."
Z0rr0w
#192975317Wednesday, July 06, 2016 8:49 PM GMT

I don't think I've ever dual-casted before. I always have one hand occupied with holding an axe. Still, it's useful information if I ever find myself not using my axe for whatever reason. Maybe I might enchant my axe with shock as well one day, since it seems to pair well with fire. Could be a good idea. I continue listening to the professor's lecture.
benzo2
#192975880Wednesday, July 06, 2016 8:54 PM GMT

As you keep listening, it doesn't seem as though you'll gain much more useful information from the lecture alone. Oddly enough, it seemed more or less that the class was for those who had never wielded destruction magic, rather than an experienced journeyman like yourself. Then again, thinking back to what the enchanter had told you, it seemed that most magical study in general is best performed in the field.
Z0rr0w
#192980989Wednesday, July 06, 2016 9:51 PM GMT

Guess I really won't get much from here. Quietly, I stand up and slip out of the building. Are basic lectures and lessons all that this place has to offer? Can't be. I take another walk around the Magisterium to see if there's anything else I could do while I'm around here.
benzo2
#193016467Thursday, July 07, 2016 6:17 AM GMT

(Oh bloody hell, I apparently unplugged my laptop and it lost power, losing my in-progress map of Velinis in the process... On top of that, I'm running low on data, so I may stop responding suddenly until the 13th, when it refreshes. I'll use this time to repair what I stupidly lost.) Exploring the Magisterium further, it becomes apparent that you would only be able to learn new skills here, rather than advance your own. As you walk, you notice some students casting spells, though appearing to resonate from held pieces of parchment, rather than the caster's hands. This must be the scroll making you had heard about.
Z0rr0w
#193115224Friday, July 08, 2016 1:26 PM GMT

(I understand. Sorry about your map.) Nothing else for me to do here, it seems. Time to get back on the road. I head out of the Magisterium and mount my horse. With that done, I take a look at my map briefly, then ride out of the city towards my next destination of Fortune's Strand.
benzo2
#193645890Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:01 PM GMT

(Gaaah, finally, on my PC again. Got to 9.985/10 GB, so I really called it close there, haha) As you prepare to leave the college, you pause upon seeing the silver tower's doorway open. Walking through, an elderly Imperial male was accompanied by a trio of the hooded guards seen only around the Magisterium. As he approached the top of the staircase, he held his arms out, hands beginning to glow golden. In a voice much bolder, yet smooth for someone his apparent age, he called attention to all those within the area, some even exiting classrooms and facilities to watch. "Scholars and fellow academics of the Imperial Magisterium, as I am sure the unfortunate news of Kavakk has reached most of you, I'm afraid the news doesn't stop there." the robed man announced. "After much discussion with the Imperial Council and Emperor Talis, I must announce the practice of Conjuration Magic is outlawed within Farindall as the Kavakk Crisis is underway. Any attempts to break this law will be viewed as an act of treason against the Imperium." As the crowd around you began to murmur with speculation and anger, the speaker took a moment to clap loudly before speaking again. "I understand this affects a great number of you, and I wish it to be known that this does not include the study of Conjuration. This is still highly encouraged, particularly studies involving banishing techniques. As soon as the situation at Kavakk is handled, this law will be voided. Until then, I apologize for the inhibitor of study, but the safety of out nation /must/ come first. I hope this does not affect anyone's stay at the Magisterium."