of     1   

Quilboarian
#195899895Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:17 AM GMT

ENCOURAGEMENT VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwgjpuORkmE ENCOURAGEMENT VIDEO 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJUFgEZIvm8 I started this a few years ago, and I had a blast. If you'd like to give something new a whirl, here's what information I have about it. I've mainly been roleplaying on Garry's Mod since I left RPF. It is not forum-based, but it is still serious roleplay. Just like on a forum, people have varying degrees of skill when it comes to roleplaying. There are a variety of different universes that serious roleplays can take place in, depending on the server. Most are based off video games, but not all. So far, I have seen Fallout, Starship Troopers, Halo, Star Wars, Mass Effect, STALKER, Metro 2033, among others. Of course, people make their own universes as well. Post-Apocalyptic, Cyberpunk, and Zombie servers exist, often each with unique lore. However, the best gamemode to get started on is the most popular one, CW: Half-Life 2 RP. It's fun because things are unpredictable. You don't automatically know everybody on the server's character personality, you have to meet them. You don't even know what they look like unless your character approaches them. You can make friends and get to know people when there isn't action going on. When action does occur, there is actual risk involved. If another character puts a gun to your head, they CAN kill you right there. Literally anything can happen, and that is both a good and bad thing. I have had my characters get lynched, mugged, executed, tortured, and... erm, well... basically, /really/ bad stuff happen to them. Of course, if it gets too grisly, you can skip over the details if you ask the other person in OOC. Characters have a lot of freedom in this... and uh, that means people sometimes "cyber" with each other, but it isn't OD world either. On the positive side, I have also had characters undergo great development, and do many things. Sometimes they live, sometimes they die in the end. In terms of roleplay situations, I've experienced the hilarious, the emotional, and the intense. It's very fun, and I suggest you guys try it out if you find RPF lacking in terms of roleplay lately. I can answer questions if you have them. Keep in mind that DarkRP, and DarkRP-style servers are NOT meant for serious roleplaying. Instead, look for "CW" [Clockwork] or "NS" [Nutscript] in the names of gamemodes, such as "CW: Half-Life 2 Roleplay" or "NS: Fallout RP". Those are schemas that serious RP servers are usually built on. Basically, don't join servers that generally look like this: "Billy's DarkRP Server|100+ jobs|Guns|Drugs|Semi-serious" On the other hand, servers that look like this tend to be okay: "Felheart Gaming | Serious Post-Apocalyptic RP | Custom Lore | OOC Applications"
Quilboarian
#195899934Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:19 AM GMT

"felheart gaming" is made up ofc
CreativeMystery
#195900697Thursday, August 11, 2016 9:49 AM GMT

I add my suggestion of roleplaying on League of Legends! In a fast-paced game based heavily on focus to enemy cues and details/health and resource management with heavy emphasis on team objectives; I find that ignoring all of that to type in all-chat and RP is a great way to keep team morale up. Give it a whirl. (If you get DDoS'd, it's not my fault.)
bigbriangoad
#195901529Thursday, August 11, 2016 10:32 AM GMT

this thread reminds me of ofs Fried not Baked
b0bdarions
#195902572Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:19 AM GMT

GMod RP is the WORST I've ever done. Went on this server called Slave-RP... terrible!
MrStilts
#195903606Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:05 PM GMT

Seems like it could be fun, although I'm not entirely interested in buying Garry's Mod, at least not right now. However, while we're sharing roleplaying game preferences, I recommend you try out Space Station 13. It's a fairly old game, going back from the early 2000's, but the community does a great job of keeping it up and kicking. The basic premise is that you're a crew member onboard a highly placed corporate research station which is also a floating metal deathtrap. It's a much more game-like roleplay, in that some people might be given an objective to complete before a round is over (which often lasts between 2-4 hours), but roleplaying is still a very prominent feature. I could go on about the intricacies of gameplay and mechanic, but I think may take too much time to write and wouldn't make for an interesting read anyway, so I'll just say that there's plenty of talented roleplayers in the game whom possess their own array of unique and interesting characters, so you're not short on fun moments. You don't need to spend money to play it, either. Just make a Google search for BYOND, download the program and you're good to go! Be warned, tho, that the engine the game runs on is just a tad dated, so the controls and interface are quite a bit antiquated. They require some getting used to. Of course, I can't forget to mention that there are various sub-communities within SS13, each with their own servers, rules and wikipedia websites. My personal favourite being "Baystation", of which boasts a high roleplaying standard and an interesting lore for their server's backdrop. But, as I said before, the controls to the game are rather difficult to get a hold on, so I recommend reading up on the basic tutorials located on their wiki before going into the game in earnest.
Quilboarian
#195931673Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:22 PM GMT

One of my friends is a pretty big fan of Space Station 13. I might check it out. also, ignore bob lol. he RPs on gmod as well. [slaveRP is an offshoot of darkRP btw]
Deshoras
#195931841Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:24 PM GMT

Unless it's free, can't really do much.
Quilboarian
#195932201Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:29 PM GMT

ya just gotta get it on a steam saleeee
roquinha9
#195932362Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:32 PM GMT

If I had Garry's Mod I would try it.... But I don't.

of     1