of     1   

Inigo18
#215509577Friday, April 28, 2017 11:14 PM GMT

So I've been making a multiplayer game with FE on and I'm getting the hang of it. However, I'm trying a new project right now which is going to be singleplayer. Would you activate FE or not? (Since the game is singleplayer, hackers have nothing to achieve there, so FE isn't a must.)
Wunder_Wulfe
#215509619Friday, April 28, 2017 11:14 PM GMT

probably not unless u dont want place stealing
Inigo18
#215509837Friday, April 28, 2017 11:18 PM GMT

what, place stealing? i think you're exaggerating
Inigo18
#215510353Friday, April 28, 2017 11:26 PM GMT

bump
XThe0neThe0wnlyX
#215510769Friday, April 28, 2017 11:32 PM GMT

If the game is truly singleplayer (ie max players of 1) and there is absolutely no kind of global leaderboard or cross-server interactivity (ie datastore/datapersistence), you could reasonably turn off FE. In terms of place stealing, someone could run a script to derive all of the buildings/parts from workspace... but the source of your scripts and localscripts should be safe. So as long as it's _truly_ singleplayer (no playerpoints either) and you don't mind the possibility of your map being stolen, then by all means go for it. I want to just put emphasis on the fact that people definitely cannot steal the source of your scripts with local script execution, and AFAIK it is very difficult to do so even for the source of LocalScripts.
Inigo18
#215510912Friday, April 28, 2017 11:34 PM GMT

Got it, thanks!
JarodOfOrbiter
#215514783Saturday, April 29, 2017 12:29 AM GMT

My goodness people. This probably comes across as very rude, but I only mean to be slightly condescending. "probably not unless u dont want place stealing" I did a double-take, checked the date of your post, and then re-read your name. There's no way you could have thought that FE was relevant to place stealing, you're too experienced. I surprised. "source of your scripts and localscripts" Wrong, LocalScripts are probably the easiest thing in all of Roblox to take. I've even done it. Since then they made it a bit more difficult by making it only stored as a special non-vanilla bytecode, but it is still potentially easier than models. FE does NOTHING to prevent theft of any kind. "someone could run a script to derive all of the buildings/parts from workspace" That would work even if FE was on, people can still run this kind of script with no problem. If it doesn't need to change the server or other clients, it still works. "no playerpoints either" PlayerPoints can't be awarded with a LocalScript anyways, so FE doesn't matter here. "absolutely no kind of global leaderboard or cross-server interactivity (ie datastore/datapersistence)" LocalScripts can't use Datastores/DP. LocalScripts also can't use HttpService. FE doesn't matter here. In fact, a game with FE is still highly vulnerable to data hacks if you store and manage the data with a LocalScript or local ModuleScript. You need to manage it with a regular Script. "people definitely cannot steal the source of your scripts with local script execution, and AFAIK it is very difficult to do so even for the source of LocalScripts." What is "with local script execution?" Either way, again, the easiest thing to take from a game is a LocalScript. This includes ModuleScripts when they are required by LocalScripts. Anything that runs on the client or is visible can be taken.
XThe0neThe0wnlyX
#215936293Thursday, May 04, 2017 10:42 PM GMT

Sure, you may have stolen LocalScripts in the past, but you can't really do it anymore because of the exact thing you mentioned. The only way people can get local scripts at this point is by reverse engineering the bytecode, and even if someone were to do that the "decompiled" version would not at all be like its original code. It's similar to someone generating C psuedo-code from assembly instructions, you're just getting a different representation of the code. This psuedo-code won't be human-readable (func/var names) and it likely wouldn't work unless there were heavy modifications made to it. I think you missed the point I was trying to make with a lot of the stuff that I mentioned. I was just clarifying what would still be at risk in a singleplayer non-FE game. I was not trying to point out specific things that are vulnerable in non-FE but aren't vulnerable in FE, even though it seems that is what you assumed. I was just emphasizing, because Wunder_Wulfe mentioned place stealing, that places are safe in FE. I said "someone could derive parts" because that is a legitimate thing someone could do in FE, but that is all they could do. I never said that deriving parts couldn't be done with FE turned off. I mentioned playerpoints, global leaderboards, and general cross-server interactivity not because I believed they could be manipulated directly through local scripts but rather because those kinds of "multiplayer" aspects of a game can be exploited by other means in singleplayer, especially with FE turned off. For example, if you had a global leaderboard for the amount of zombie kills in a non-FE singleplayer zombie survival game, a ###### with local script execution capabilities could simply create and parent a ForceField object to his character in order to rack up zombie kills and unfairly dominate leaderboards. Conversely, that same game with FE turned on could still have that leaderboard exploited by hackers using "noclip" or other client-sided edits that still allow for cheating and gaining an unfair edge.
belial52
#215937049Thursday, May 04, 2017 10:54 PM GMT

Just to help out here, because this is something Roblox is moving towards, if your game is not FE it will not be available to players under the age of 13, so it is always good practice to use FE, even when it isn't necessary.
Magicboopoo
#215940265Thursday, May 04, 2017 11:44 PM GMT

Uhh, Place Stealing is a thing still, how else would you think that Egg Hunt 2017 got copied? Also, if you want people under 13 playing your game, then you must use FE, no matter what.

of     1