of     14   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

Waterlimon
#24035214Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:54 PM GMT

Ok, in all games that have liquids, theyre computed as small particles (balls, but simpler) What the particles are, are simple vector3 points (their position), and some random properties. The particles would have 2 values inside them. -Velocity -Position -Type the Type has many different kinds of liquids (the type sets the appereance and behavior) The Type property sets the following: -Color -Mass -Restitution -Stickiness (how well it slides against other particles/bricks) -Size (radius of a particle, should be 1.5-4) -Transparency Now, first thing you are going to say is: "OMGEEH UBAR LAG NONONONO OLOLO" But, it wont lag much. No,You will not be able to create seas or lakes with this. It wont lag because: -It doesnt collide. It just pushes itself away from other particles and bricks. (so its a single point, it doesnt have edges) -Its rendered more simply. Instead of a complex 3d model, it will be a flat circle. Kind of like the smoke object (wich is a 2D image), it wont just have any image. its just a blue circle. -It has no rotation. As a single point, rotation wont affect how it acts. (It WOULD, but you wouldnt notice the effect) -The default, 'Water' type wont have friction. -A lot less properties than normal parts-> a lot faster simulating. -As the particles can be pretty big, because they dont need to act realistically, it wont need many of them to make something cool. (you could fill a medium sized pool with like 100 particles, if you used medium sized ones.) What would a single particle be like? like i said, it has 2 properties, Position, Velocity, And type. Its a object, with class name 'Particle'. It also has the following properties: -Touched -Changed Unlike all other objects, it cant hold scripts or any objects inside it. This should allow faster computation. (You can easily have the scripts outside the particles, and still do the same things..) The particle is smooth unlike normal parts. This means that you can push it inside another particle, and if you release it, it will just push itself out, not glitch and go flying like crazy. Now, that you should know that its not laggy, and what it is like, i shall make a list of uses for it. -Fountains. The fountains now use the ball shaped parts. They are a lot more laggy, because they have tons of more properties and more complex physics. The particles would allow bigger and cooler fountains, where the water would collide with other water, without bouncing around like crazy. -Water slides. They wont need a lot of water to look cool, so i think it would work well for them. -Uber cool tycoons. Tycoons could use tubes to transport water, and it would use not much water because the tubes are usually pretty narrow. It would be very cool watch the water go. -Water pistols, unlaggy guns. -Better survive-the-flood games. The water isnt very laggy, so you could makesome water flow in from windows and stuff for effects. -Cool building games. Water pressure propelled rockets, fountains, Pools, A lot of cool stuff to build. -Survival games, obbies. Using a type with big sticky particles, it would create a cool sticky pool that you would need to stay on surface on. -Effects. Support please, at least that explains enough. And for a second time, It WILL NOT BE LAGGY. It will run smoothly enough to make the stuff i listed above. That is enough to make awesome and fun games.
HyperBlue
#24035430Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:58 PM GMT

Eh.. Idk I like the idea, but this will probably never happen, because roblox is more of a decal/model/brick type game. The only way the water would be possible was if it was a decal type like the smoke. :/
EdduTheArdo
#24035459Saturday, April 10, 2010 4:58 PM GMT

You know, this isn't a bad idea. I liked how you presented it as well. :P I support you.
Waterlimon
#24035588Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:01 PM GMT

They should do it, As the first thing you do with any real life bricks, is build a boat and throw it in the bath tub and see how long it takes for it to sink! :P And its pretty much like smoke, as theyre rendered just like smoke (2D), They just have simple physics so that they can collide with stuff. They could make a fancy object called 'Water spawner' that spawns water :I
Deathxc
#24035718Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:04 PM GMT

This is a brilliant idea. We need "liquid" in this game, not just bricks colored to look like liquid.
sogy456
#24035814Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:06 PM GMT

awsome idea.
mrhappy1996
#24035909Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:07 PM GMT

hmm... this is the best version yet!, it also sounds like its possible and easy to make, seeing as there are not many properties! And if you want the water to do something to u just put a invisible brick above it! =D
Ashiscool1
#24035969Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:09 PM GMT

Best ever water idea.
Waterlimon
#24036026Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:10 PM GMT

If this would lag too much, they could scrap the types and use 1 universal type (that you could preset in some object or something?), so it would decrease the computing required even more.
linust
#24036102Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:11 PM GMT

cool now it comes realstic lava too :P
IVORBLOX
#24036153Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:12 PM GMT

:o Sounds good. Long explanation...
Waterlimon
#24036168Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:12 PM GMT

Yes there should be a lava Type in the types list too (red,very thick,big radius) and it could be made as lava by adding a simpe script to the thing that spawns the lava particles...
bart99
#24036182Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:13 PM GMT

and you can have kill or not kill so like with water if your heads under it with out a script on your head you will slowly die but if its above the water you wont
swmaniac
#24036203Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:13 PM GMT

To see if I understand this correctly. You're suggesting small particles that collide like spheres - ones that could be used to simulate water? If so - yes it wouldn't lag if you used a small enough number of them. (Might be wrong, but I believe that lag mostly comes from the physics engine - not the properties)
sogy456
#24036237Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:14 PM GMT

its a bit confuzzling though
Waterlimon
#24036309Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:15 PM GMT

Yes, they are like spheres, but theyre rendered a lot more simply, and theyre a simple vector3 point instead of having a size and all... (instead of colliding, they just push themselfs away from other particles or part surfaces...)
Waterlimon
#24036422Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:18 PM GMT

Ive seen particle water in a 2D physics game... yes, it was 2d, but it was able to run a decent amount of water (you could fit a submarine in a pool :O), but it was running at 60Hz and it was more complicated (the parts had more properties like density)
ManiacPikachu2
#24036539Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:20 PM GMT

Over explained much? LOL Good idea anyhow
Waterlimon
#24036578Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:21 PM GMT

even 10 big particles on ground would be cool XD you could make a jell-o pool :3
commander126
#24036626Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:22 PM GMT

[ Content Deleted ]
Waterlimon
#24036696Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:23 PM GMT

Ok, now im gettin suspicious. There isnt a single bad reply this far... _>
benzo2
#24036828Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:26 PM GMT

Teribble idea. Completely teribble. Happy now radio? lol. no but I think it's an interesting one.
Waterlimon
#24036944Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:29 PM GMT

Gaah you ruined the purfect thread T_T *yai 3 more posts for 2nd page :3*
Waterlimon
#24037238Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:35 PM GMT

We could make fancy water cannons to flip cars and players with >:3
Waterlimon
#24037379Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:38 PM GMT

I think it would be fast enough to make a rain script that actually makes water rain... AND the water would gather on the ground (on bigger pits...) and make fancy pools :P

of     14   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right