of     9   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

Imafighter
#36780897Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:27 AM GMT

Planet: Extama, Lyran Alliance space, September 23rd, 3067 "Good morning, Lane. It's time to get up now." "Mmmmffghhhh." "Oh, don't be like that, dear. Today is your big day!" "I'm not a kid anymore, mom. Mmmmmff..." "Then show how big you are by getting up. You can't sleep in like this every morning." "I can do it. Just watch." "Really, Lane. Don't make me get your father in here. It's late enough as it is." "Blankets... soft. Pillow... even softer..." "Lane." I was silent now. "If you don't get up, I may just have to donate all your presents to charity. There's a lot to go around..." Like Frankenstein of legend, I sat upright out of my bed, clear green eyes snapping open under a spiky mess of red-brown bed hair. My sleep shirt was twisted, and I got it back into a comfortable position, squinting in the bright morning light coming in through the window. My home planet was named Extama, a quiet backwater of the Inner Sphere, not even belonging to any of the Great Houses. In fact, its official title in the new Star League's databanks was "Extama: agricultural backwater world. No current military use." "Now, there's a good boy," my mom, or rather my foster mother, praised from the doorway. "You're fifteen today, and should start acting like a big boy now." "Big boy?" I protested, waving my arms rapidly in a blur. "I'm a man now, mom! Big kids chase each other playing Battlemech in their backyards. I'm the one who can describe a 'mech's systems inside and out. I could be an esteemed engineer, working on powerful and impressive 'mechs all day long..." My mind drifted off, imagining me in an Inner Sphere engineer suit, repairing battle-damaged Battlemechs, getting them in shape to return to the battlefield and find honorable victory. That wasn't what I really wanted, though; I wanted to be an actual Mechwarrior! To be a Cadet in the Mechwarrior academy on planet Strantor, you had to be 15 and fit. To be a mechanic, you had to be 18 and fit. How much sense dos that make? My mom chuckled. "I know what you're thinking," she said humorously. "Just three years to go, right?" "Yeah," I said, getting out of bed and shaking my hair out of my eyes, stretching. "Even though I could technically join the Mechwarrior Academy on Strantor, I'd never want to do that." Ugh. Actually, I'd like that more than anything, much better than being a mechanic. Think of the adventures and glory I'd have fighting the Clans! My mom and dad would be so proud of that. I miss them so much... "Yes, I'd rather not see my foster son stomping off in one of those horrible machines," my foster mom agreed, leaving the doorway. "Now, hurry and get your breakfast, Lane. It's starting to get late. We have to prepare for the party tonight! There's a lot of guests coming, you know." "Really? Who?" I asked, following her. Outside the windows, I could see the silver, curving buildings of my home town, and the farming fields beyond. Just a quiet backwater, all right. Nothing here but wheat, vegetable crops, and one Lane Farlow who dreamed big. Thank goodness this town had one person who wanted to be more than just a farmer. I hid my real ambitions from my foster mother and father, because I didn't want to worry them. But then, what good was anything if I couldn't explore the stars and follow my dreams? "Well, all the rest of your family, of course," my mom started, getting me out of my reverie as she and I entered the kitchen, where a full breakfast plate sat on the table for me. My foster father, a somewhat older man with thick plastic glasses and beard, said "good morning" from behind his plas-screen newspaper. "Your other aunt and uncle Jora and Merles, along with your brother Ras," my foster father added with a smile. "You haven't seen them in a while, have you? They'll be impressed by how big you've gotten!" "I'm not a kid! Jeez! What's with everyone this morning?" I exclaimed in mock rage. I sat silent for a second, then another fact clicked in my brain. My eyes widened into circles and my mouth went big as I exclaimed, "My brother's coming? Why didn't you tell me?" I flung my arms out, sending my spoon and fork flying. "But I did just tell you," my dad said, his eyes friendly, watching me flail around in excitement. "B... but he works all the way across the Inner Sphere!" I sputtered, barely containing myself. "He's a Major in the Mechwarrior legions! He has his own Battalion under his command! Last I heard, he was leading an assault on... on... some Clan Jade Falcon planet, if I remember right." What was the name of that planet? "Yes, and he's quite looking forward to this," my mom went on, starting to do the dishes from her and my dad's own breakfast. "He says that seeing his little brother again will be a relief from all the hard faces at the military. There's no one like family, he said." "My brother... a real Mechwarrior Major... here?" my mind was already spinning, imagining fighter planes roaring overhead and fireworks booming, heralding the military hotshot's arrival into my town to attend his little brother's birthday party at the event hall downtown.
Imafighter
#36780988Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:28 AM GMT

(Bump)
Imafighter
#36781309Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:33 AM GMT

(Hey guys, should I continue the story?)
Rebel562
#36781441Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:35 AM GMT

(A. Is this a pre-created universe, or is it going to be created as you go along? B. Haven't finished reading yet.
chickenpoppuddle
#36781466Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:36 AM GMT

Real nice story (If that is what it is.).
Rebel562
#36782129Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:46 AM GMT

(Finished reading.)
Rebel562
#36782644Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:54 AM GMT

(On MyForums, it keeps saying ImaFighter poasted, but when I check, there's no new posts.)
Imafighter
#36782725Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:56 AM GMT

"And he promises not to hog too much of the attention," my mom winked, scrubbing a non-stick pan with soapy water. "This is your day after all, Lane." "Yeah. Go me," I said in good nature, spooning oatmeal into my mouth, chewing boringly. "Oh, goody! It's such a pretty evening for your birthday party, Lane!" my friend Yora said with her usual cheer, spreading her arms wide to the sky. The sun was dipping close to the hilly horizon, allowing a few of the brighter stars to appear on the opposite horizon. "You're so lucky! My birthdays are always on rainy days and stuff. We can play tag and other fun stuff on the lawn!" I made a friendly laugh, scratching the back of my head while I thought. Why does everyone think I'm a kid, anyway? Oh, well. I'll show them when I'm a proud Mech pilot... somehow, someday. I'll never give up on my dream. "What are we going to do first?" Yora asked, looking around at the people emerging from their cars parked at the road. Since this was only a town, events like a birthday were celebrated by many people, including family. I stood close to the front doorway of the event hall, within earshot of the music that was started up in there as people set up the tables. "There's so much to do!" "Maybe eat first," I suggested, my stomach rumbling.
Imafighter
#36782771Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:56 AM GMT

(One of the paragraphs had something ROBLOX wouldn't accept.
Rebel562
#36783461Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:08 AM GMT

(My question = still not answered.)
Imafighter
#36783538Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:09 AM GMT

I dunno why. I hate ROBLOX rules. There is something in my typing that is against the rules. I don't know what.
Imafighter
#36783605Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:10 AM GMT

The party went quite well, I had to admit; I was having a good time, as fifteen was the mark of passage from boyhood to manhood, as that was the age when someone could become a Mechwarrior. It was a sign of people's values when even country townsfolk like me were judged by the Mechwarriors' standards. Our society was forever ingrained with values of honor, justice, pride in one's combat ability, and glory on the battlefield. If only I could be among them! I could finally prove myself against my brother, that I wasn't the only Farlow who could make something of himself. "Whoa. I really need some fresh air," I exclaimed at one point of the party, about two hours in, pushing myself away from the card game table I had been occupying with some of my friends. "I'll be back in a little, guys." "Sure thing," one of them said, and I wandered off to the balcony, where there was no one else around. I stood close to the cool metal railing, resting my hands on it as I looked up into the sea of stars overhead in the pitch-black night. The party's lights and sounds raged inside, but out here they were barely even a distraction. I don't know how long I was out there, but at some point my dad joined me. He was quiet at first, then spoke up in a gentle and understanding tone. "You really want to move away from here, don't you?" he asked, looking up at the stars too. I opened my mouth to talk, then closed it, looking down silently. "Yeah," I admitted. "Ummm... not that I don't like it here..." "It's not like that, Lane," my dad said, still looking up. "I know, you really want to be a Mechwarrior, right?" "I - how did you know?" I asked, surprised. Well, I thought I had kept that ambition secret! My dad chuckled. "I can read it easily," he said, a sudden breeze ruffling his hair. "Not just to match your brother, but I know you well, as well as your brother and your parents. No Farlow boy wants to be a farmer. A lifetime of adventure and excitement is what you've really been wanting, right?" "Y... yeah," I acknowledged, now looking up bravely. "Dad, you're right: I want to be a Mechwarrior, to fight, to prove myself against the Clans and protect everyone. I can't... I didn't think you and mom would want that life for me, not after what happened to my parents." "Your mother and father were fine warriors, good people to the end," my dad said proudly and warmly. "I may only be a family friend, but I could see something different about them, something very special. And I'll have you know, I feel that way about you and your brother, too. The Inner Sphere has never seen finer boys than you two lads." "Thanks, dad," I said appreciatively. "So when you let my brother... Ras... join the Academy and said that it was a mistake, then..." "That was a little test for you," my dad winked. "Your foster mother and I are all for you boys forging your own destinies, finding your place in the universe. Your brother was dead-set on being a fine Mechwarrior, and make no mistake - he is." "But why did you discourage me?" I persisted. I could hear my brother talking merrily with the others inside. "Exploring all those stars and finding your place isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination," my dad explained. "No one is going to make it easy for you or throw the doors wide open. You have to be ready, Lane, for the nay-sayers and doubters and jealous ones who will do anything to bring you down. You have to be ready, Lane, for everything out there. We wanted to test your spirit, your determination, your mettle. That's part of being a parent, after all; we may seem like bossy and controlling people, hard on their kids, but we only do it for you."
Imafighter
#36783750Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:13 AM GMT

(Stay with me guys, action is coming up soon. As in a battle.)
Imafighter
#36783901Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:16 AM GMT

"R...really?" I asked, my whole attitude toward my foster parents changing on the spot. "Everything... for me?" "Yes, Lane. When your parents were stationed on Gathin's fourth moon, their last message to us was how proud they were of you and your brother, and that you boys were the world to them, much more than their own glory and honor in battle. Days after that, well..." "Clan Steel Viper wiped out their base. I remember," I finished for him. "Didn't have a chance. I was just eight then, wasn't I?" My dad nodded. "It was... so hard telling you the news, once you were moved to our household. Believe me, your foster mother and I did everything we could to be the parents you lost. The wars we fight, for glory and honor, against our own kin or the Clan marauders... it takes from all of us." I embraced my foster father in a tight hug. "Don't worry, dad," I told him. "You and mom have done everything you could for us. I thank you for every bit of it." I parted, and my dad looked cheered. "That's a good boy," he said. "People go their whole lives never appreciating the joys and gifts they are given, until it's too late. Your mother and I are proud of you boys every day. Don't ever forget that." "Hey, um... dad?" I said, trying to sound confident and formal in my announcement. "What is it?" "I... I've made up my mind. Tomorrow, or soon at least, I'm going to leave for Strantor for... for Mechwarrior Academy. I want to live up to my dream! I want to follow my brother's footsteps and show that I can make someone of myself!" I was almost expecting my dad to go back on his word and object, but a parental smile was what I got instead, and a thump on the back. "There you go, Lane," he praised. "You're absolutely right; you've been holding back for long enough. Yes, son, I am glad you've made up your mind. See those stars?" he pointed up at the sky. "Yup." "Each and every one of those is yours to explore and see, to find your own path in," my dad said fondly. "Do you know why you have your name, Lane?" I shrugged. "Never thought about it." "Your parents named you that because they wanted you to find your own path in life in the wild unknowns, create your own lane to walk and allow others to follow, inspired. To your parents, they knew you'd be a pathfinder, a creator of sense and justice in our wild and violent universe. It's up to you to embark on your journey to the stars."
bluecloud6606
#36783903Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:16 AM GMT

Im lurking
Imafighter
#36784350Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:23 AM GMT

"Wait! Listen," my dad shushed me, cupping a hand to his ear, his eyes narrowing and looking to the right. I stood stock still, my ears on full alert. I could hear a distant sound... was that thunder? "Lane. We're leaving," my dad said urgently, grabbing hold of my arm and marching to the door. "Now." "Huh? But what -" I started, before the tornado sirens went off, giving me sudden chills. The tornado season was over, and the marauding bandit gangs had moved far away recently... That was when I saw a trio of attack helicopters zoom overhead, firing salvos of missiles at random buildings. People screamed and scattered as the missiles detonated, blasting the buildings into flaming pieces. I could hear more of them flying in, buzzing like giant insects, and a steady thumping in the near distance, maybe mortars. We were under attack? "Lane! What's going on?" Yora cried, hurrying to catch up to me. "Why are –?" "Just run!" I shouted over the noise. I could hear more missiles being fired. "I don't know anything either. Just get to safety!" "Quick. To the car," my dad commanded, throwing open the doors. He and I piled in, and he wasted no time in revving the engine to top gear, sending us squealing off. Though it was night-time, the fires started by the missiles lit everything with dancing orange light, giving enough illumination to reveal a horrifying sight down the road where the helicopters came from. I could suddenly see the source of the thumping sounds, and realized that they were actually footsteps. Emerging from the opposite side of a burning building was a towering, weapons-laden Battlemech, surveying the carnage as more helicopter missiles impacted on their targets. Upon seeing the 'mech, sudden images and thoughts raced through my mind at blinding speed: war-torn battlefields, great 'mechs stomping forth firing their weapons, the gritty and determined pilots fighting to defend their glory and honor, the inside view of a co.ckpit. I could almost feel myself piloting one of them, as though I were recalling memories of myself doing this. It was like my dreams; I had them every night, where I was one of those warriors.
Imafighter
#36784434Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:24 AM GMT

Hows that for a start to the battle?
Imafighter
#36784954Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:31 AM GMT

Should I continue?
halorecon32
#36785397Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:40 AM GMT

DUDE MAKE A MECHWARRIOR RP!!!!!! MECHWARRIOR IS AWESOME!!!!!
Imafighter
#36785687Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:45 AM GMT

IKR!
Imafighter
#36785712Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:46 AM GMT

"Hang on!" my dad shouted, swerving the car to avoid a stray missile. Many other cars zoomed about, mingled with people on foot. Dozens were being cut down mercilessly. "We're getting out of here, Lane. Your mother knows where to meet us. Just sit tight while I -" We could run no longer. The Battlemech fired a green laser bolt, which struck a glancing blow on our car. It flipped, a chunk blown off the rear. When it tumbled to a stop, my dad and I scrambled out, panting and gasping, adrenaline rushing. I looked up, seeing the Battlemech stomping closer, firing wherever it pleased as helicopters zoomed over it. I recognized that 'mech design; I knew it. The name "Warhammer" came to mind; I recognized the Clan retrofitted 'mech easily, with the PPC barrels on its arms and the laser banks on its torso. All those years of studying 'mechs in secret paid off; I knew every weapon that 'mech had, could almost see the systems running within its frame. I also recognized the symbol on the Warhammer IIC's side: the emblem of Clan Jade Falcon. The Falcons? "Lane! What are you doing?" my dad screamed over the fury of what was going on. "We have to run! The car is a wreck and we -" My dad was interrupted by another roaring salvo of short-range missiles that came from behind me: a streak of them impacted against the Warhammer IIC, making it reel and damaging its front armor. I snapped my head back and saw an Inner Sphere-variant Madcat 'mech with the new Star League's symbol stomping forth, weapons aimed at the Warhammer IIC. Behind it was a pair of Bushwhacker-type 'mechs, sturdy medium platforms. The two support 'mechs opened fire on the Thor that appeared and joined the Warhammer; a full-blown 'mech battle! Impossible! "No way," I breathed, staring in wonder at the ensuing carnage. Both sides had support helicopters and tanks, but it was the Battlemechs that dictated the battle; lasers, bullets, missiles, and other weapons zipped back and forth, wrecking everything they touched. I took an unbelieving step back, aware of the increasing fires and rubble around me. My dad finally snapped me out of it; he took hold of my arms and told me, "We have to go, Lane! This isn't the time or place for standing around while we..." The battle turned; one of the Bushwacker defenders was destroyed, sent collapsing heavily to the ground; it fell on top of a building, crushing it under its weight. The 'mech was missing an arm, courtesy of the PPC weapon the Thor was using. I had to shield my face with my arm from the flying debris as I ran with my dad down the street; even on foot, we had to try to escape.
Imafighter
#36785869Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:49 AM GMT

(BUMP!)
Imafighter
#36786280Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:57 AM GMT

(Some1 post plox)
thomasrules
#36786415Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:59 AM GMT

is there a more awesome word to describe that then awesome?
Imafighter
#36786464Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:00 AM GMT

SUPERAWESOMEEPIKCOOLSWEET1337?

of     9   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right