of     3   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

cobalt10
#63289653Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:47 PM GMT

Please note that I'm using "need" in a loose and subjective way - although I hope this will appeal to many others besides me. Also note that the formatting of this post was written to maximize the effectiveness of the "Roblox Forum Enhancer" extention; please excuse the asterisks and dashes if you do not have the extension as they are used for this purpose (**Bold**, *Italic*, et cetera). ---------- This is my "Intelligent subjects" forum idea, but revised again. I think this is the third revision? Anyway. This is going to be long, but worth the read - as with all my other suggestions. So, let's get on with it then: ROBLOX has many forums for its users to partake in, the most commonly known are ROBLOX Talk (RT) and Off Topic (OT). Most forums are very limited in what can be posted in them - and this should be expected. This allows for more organization and easier modding. The problem with that is this: The most intelligent forums on ROBLOX are right here at Suggestions & Ideas (S&I), and the Scripters club house. This leaves a rather large problem to many. The most intelligent people converge there, but the forums are rather harshly limited in the topics that can be discussed there - both by the mods deleting posts and the community there flaming that which doesn't belong. This begs a question: *"Where are we to talk about random, unfitting, intelligent topics without having to post spam and off topic threads?"* The average ROBLOXian would most likely say *"Well, you said it yourself! Off Topic is where you post the off topic!"* However, I say *"Nay!"* This is clearly **not** where to put these topics. Anyone who says that clearly doesn't understand what I'm talking about, or is ignorant to what goes on in OT. Go take a look at OT for a second. Off Topic is the place where people go to spam without fear of being banned, and I mean *spam*. Off Topic is the place where people go to flame bronies. Off Topic is the place where people can only post four word phrases. Off Topic is the place where people go to troll religion. However, most of all, Off Topic is the place where the average man's sanity goes to die a slow, torturous death. Take a personal example from me, for instance. My computer - at the time of writing this - is having problems. I dual booted Windows 8 and, since then, Windows 7 will not load because winload.exe's digital signature cannot be verified. I posted a thread asking for help on OT. However, I knew they would not help. So, as I waited for them to "TL;DR" the thread, I had to spread the link to the thread to multiple friends and see if they could help. Off Topic is not the place you go to talk about anything that takes more than ***"HOMESTUCK DURR"*** of thought. Which is why I think ROBLOX needs a second OT, of sorts. We leave the first to post the random, incoherent obscenities that it currently does - and we add a newer one where anything ***"HOMESTUCK DURR"*** will be explicitly forbidden. To some, this seems as if I am trying to avoid the trolls. This is not the case. I am aware that trolls will continue to exist. I am not trying to stop trolls at all by this. I am, instead, proposing a new medium for which those who know anything besides, once again, ***"HOMESTUCK DURR"***. The intent of this is to create the polar opposite of OT, where four word posts are ignored and word walls are the norm. As OT currently stands, the attention span of the OT'ers there is less than that of a lizard's. This means that new threads on OT come out very frequently, and new threads on OT are very short. Their short attention spans prevent them from even *attempting* to read long, thoughtful posts like this - which hinders a ROBLOXian's ability to post legitimate, thought-provoking threads. This also prevents them from participating in threads for an extended period of time. The sheer amount of threads there - and the speed at which they are created - drowns out any thread, even the short ones, with in a minute. This is not the environment needed to foster ideas, knowledge, and concepts (After all, isn't ROBLOX supposed to be *educational*?). Another common criticism of this idea is that there are not enough intelligent people on ROBLOX to sustain such a forum. Well, I'll try not to mull over this as it doesn't require much refuting. First and foremost, a forum doesn't require "sustaining". A forum isn't alive. It takes an administrator 5 seconds to click an "Add Forum" button, and type in its title. Furthermore, the mere presence of the forum takes up less than a few kilobytes of space on the servers - and the space taken by the posts is negligible due to the fact that a post of the same size will be posted on another forum eventually. The second point I'd like to make on this topic is that there are well enough to "sustain" it, indeed. Just go to any scripting forum and tell me those who frequent it cannot speak intelligently on even *one* other higher-intelligence subject. They are programmers for god's sake! I can even name friends of mine that are smart enough to talk about a multitude of higher-intelligence subjects off of the top of my head: Kension19, Pugzy, TheBlock24, MikkelDude, VirtualDarks, and KuchiBoy are just a few. So, I guess I'll leave it at that - until someone come into the replies to bring up another point. Any takers?
TwentyTwoPilots
#63290363Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:58 PM GMT

Well done. I support this. The only problem I see, is that OT used to be this "utopia" you speak of, but has devolved into chaos. While I don't know what the outcome of this forum will be, it's worth a try.
gearhelper31
#63290463Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:00 PM GMT

[ Content Deleted ]
Zephyrical
#63290506Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:00 PM GMT

Support, but ROBLOX needs to update the forums and dump uservoice as their primary forum.
naruto198
#63290631Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:02 PM GMT

@Alex OT isn't that bad, there are some cool people there. Btw, Support.
cobalt10
#63290801Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:05 PM GMT

> there are some cool people there. I'm not refuting that there aren't good people on OT. But you also can't argue that if I want to post something to this length there, that it would get no views or posts? ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~
cobalt10
#63290875Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:07 PM GMT

> uservoice as their primary forum. UserVoice was meant to be the replacement S&I, not a replacement forum. If everyone would get the Google Chrome extension I stated, then there would be no need to update the forums either. ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~
theblock24
#63291804Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:20 PM GMT

Support! but a problem will occur. 1.) little to no moderation will happen -there is little moderation on the forums as of now a new forum would make less moderation for all the forums in total... so the HOMESTUCK DURR posts will still occur. thus this will eventually come another ot.
cobalt10
#63291898Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:22 PM GMT

> come another ot. ***"HOMESTUCK DURR"*** comes from the users there. The tolerate it. They instigate it. They use it. The same will not happen on this forum, mainly because the users they do not approve of it. ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~
cobalt10
#63294622Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:58 PM GMT

I'm not going to let this go off the front page yet :u ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~
cobalt10
#63299081Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:01 AM GMT

Bump. ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~
appleworks
#63299300Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:04 AM GMT

How about a bronie forum? That would be hilarious. Imagine the spam.
pentagramz
#63299519Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:07 AM GMT

Supporrt. olol. haters b hatin on meh brony style.
TwentyTwoPilots
#63306614Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:53 AM GMT

I figured you'd apprieciate a bump. c:
SteelCross
#63306917Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:57 AM GMT

Didn't read. Didn't care. Almost as long as old VAK rules. O_O
cobalt10
#63328211Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:10 PM GMT

> Didn't read. Didn't care. Almost as long as old VAK rules. If you didn't read, you know nothing of the points brought up. If you don't know the points, you cannot say whether you care. Furthermore, the length of my posts are why they are good. I give the broad scope of things, citing specific examples to clarify my reasons. The very reason reason S&I is so crappy is because people post *"DURR MAKE THIS"* instead of *"This is what I think... because... here are possible solutions and outcomes..."* Thanks for the bump. ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~
TwentyTwoPilots
#63330206Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:44 PM GMT

If you didn't read it, why bother posting?
Ronster55
#63330313Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:46 PM GMT

@Steelcross I hope you are aware that is reportable for spam. @OP SUPPORT! Everyone says, 'g0 t0 0T Y0U l1TTL3 N0B0D'/!' They clearly have never tried to even lurk behind the shadows of OT. And that is risky. I lost my left leg trying to find a soccer ball someone kicked in there. ~~~One day turtles will rule the world~~~ *derp face* DERP
cobalt10
#63335320Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:21 PM GMT

> I lost my left leg trying to find a soccer ball someone kicked in there. Quite. I would love to be able to utilize OT, but it's filled with spam and idiots as noted. It'd be nice just to leave them be, and to have a newer OT for subjects that the old one would cannibalize. ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~
crazytomato4
#63335863Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:30 PM GMT

@forum enhancer: > > > > > > > eww. @thread: support. there are actually threads in the scripters forum quite often that don't involve scripting, but are still intelligent discussion, but there's currently nowhere else to post stuff like that so scripters seems to have become the default "smart people" forum.
cobalt10
#63336186Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:36 PM GMT

It'd still be nice to have a forum who's rules don't include "No posting about things unrelated to *InsertForumSubjectHere*" ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~
cobalt10
#63372698Friday, February 24, 2012 7:53 PM GMT

This is a bawmp.. ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~
cobalt10
#63372933Friday, February 24, 2012 8:01 PM GMT

UserVoice thread: http://roblox.uservoice.com/forums/4658-roblox/suggestions/2625556-we-need-a-new-forum- ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~
Varp
#63374834Friday, February 24, 2012 8:49 PM GMT

And how do you propose to keep people from posting "tl;dr" or other non-productive things in this new forum? That sounds like a huge task for moderators, especially considering that by making a new forum, they'll stir up a lot of spam. Perhaps when the forum matures and has a stable base of people who frequent it, an intelligent environment can be maintained, but geting to that point is not easy. As you point out, OT is in a dismal state even though it was created in similar conditions to what's being suggestion.
cobalt10
#63375428Friday, February 24, 2012 9:02 PM GMT

> And how do you propose to keep people from posting "tl;dr" or other non-productive things in this new forum? That sounds like a huge task for moderators, especially considering that by making a new forum, they'll stir up a lot of spam. How do you stop it in any other? Not only with this not attract any more spam than S&I does, the community that goes there would actually be smart enough to ignore the trolls. Simple as that. No increased moderation needed. The report button still exists for those pesky spam posts. Even as stupid as S&I is, it still knows how to use it. This new forum, seeing as it would house the smartest forumers, would know how to use it even better. The mod-bots will take care of the rest. >  OT is in a dismal state even though it was created in similar conditions to what's being suggestion. As I also pointed out, OT has no reason to move. OT is there, and the people there will stay there. This new forum will explicitly ban short posts and such. Which should bring you back to your "More moderation" theory, and I will then direct you back to my previous rebuttal: The community there is smart enough to take care of itself with the help of the mod-bots. ~Truth is an unpopular subject, because it is unquestionably correct.~

of     3   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right