of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

Ravenger7
#86352205Sunday, January 06, 2013 5:34 AM GMT

ROBLOX Studio is a program that allows users both free and paid to edit their placeswith a full suite of tools and script editing tools (superior to the Play Solo gear,) and allows them to be saved to the player's local machine, rather than only ROBLOX's server.&nbsp ROBLOX would not be what it is today without the ROBLOX Studio. Every single tool in the studio is extremely versatile and can be applied to many purposes. Players must learn to use every single tool in the studio in order to create a successful place. Using ROBLOX Studio Note: This tutorial is not for the faint of mind! Prepare to read a lot! Getting Started ROBLOX Studio is located in the same directory you installed your standard ROBLOX program in. For this guide, you should have it open. The Main Toolbar In order to use a program, you must first learn to use the toolbars - ROBLOX Studio is no different. Main toolbars are toolbars that cannot be removed from the view of the ROBLOX Studio program. These toolbars do not contain any icons for buttons. The toolbar lists key shortcuts, if you ever forget any. File New Place - opens a new place Open Place - opens an existing place on your computer. Browse to your place, click on it, then click "Open". Close Place - closes the current open place. Save - saves the current open place. If the place does not have a definite location on your computer, it will request for a location. Save As - saves the current open place, but will always request for a location. Publish to ROBLOX.. - After clicking this, choose a place to update. Your place on the ROBLOX site will then be identical to the area in your workspace. Save Selection as model.. - Allows you to save the currently selected block(s) onto your computer. Requests for location. Publish Selection as model - Allows you to publish the currently selected blocks as a free model on the ROBLOX website, or replace an existing model with your selection. Print - prints what is displayed on your screen at a printer of your choice. Print Preview - previews what is displayed on your screen. Print Setup.. - Adjust the settings for your printing from ROBLOX. Recently accessed places: Links to open your recently opened places. Exit: Exits ROBLOX. Edit: Undo: Undos the previous action performed Redos: Undos an undo Cut: Removes the selected object and sets it as the object that will be pasted into the workspace by the "paste" button Clone: Sets the selected object as the object that will be pasted into the workspace by the "paste" button Paste: Pastes the cloned/cutted object into the Workspace Clear: Deletes the selected object Select All: Selects all objects in the place Duplicate: Clones the selected object and pastes it at the same time. Find and Replace (ADVANCED): In order to use these, you must have a script open. Find (Ctrl+F): Type a word into the box that appears when you click "find". The program will proceed to highlight all words that are identical to your input. Find Next (F3) After the words have been highlighted, use this to browse through each highlighted word Replace (Ctrl+H) Has two input spaces, one for the words to find and one for what to replace that word with. Scripts (ADVANCED): In order to use these, you must have a script open. Display line numbers: Toggles whether you see numbers next to each script line. Display Selection/Bookmarking Margin: Toggles the margin next to the numbers that allows you to select specific lines Display Folding Margin: Togges the margin that shows the "hierarchy" for your functions in your script (blue dashes) Add a marker: Adds a marker next to the selected line Find next marker: Finds the next marker, goes in sequence from current position to end of script. Find previous marker: Finds the previous marker, goes in sequence from current position to start of script. View Start Page: Opens up a window in your display that shows the ROBLOX Website. Toolbar: (below) Toolbar: The toolbar is one of your most valuable assets in the ROBLOX Studio. The toolbar contains everything one needs, from a simple block to a complicated jet airplane. In order to use the toolbar, click the toolbar option, then click on the drop-down menu at the top of the toolbar. You can browse to which category, then which object you would like to select, then click on the object. The object will then appear in the workspace. In addition, clicking "Inventory" will have categories for publicly made models and decals, as well as models that you have made on your own. Explorer: (below) Explorer: The Explorer is one of the most important tools in ROBLOX, especially when your place contains complex Hierarchy and multiple models. Upon opening the Explorer, one will find a toolbar that lists the hierarchy of the place. All objects in the place are usually stored within the Workspace. In order to "expand" an object's hierarchy, simply click on the "plus" icon next to it, and to "retract" an object's hierarchy, click on the "minus" icon next to an expanded object Properties: (below) Properties: Opening this menu will allow you to view/edit the properties of the object you have selected, for example, if you select a brick, the menu will display the color, material, reflectance value, and transparency value of the brick as well as other properties. Output: (below) Output (scripting: For those of you scripters, the output menu will be where the results of your "print" commands will show up. If your script contains an error, the output menu will display the location of the error and what the error is. The other options in this menu are for advanced users only and have no use for most ROBLOXian players. Secondary Toolbars These toolbars are not part of the main toolbar, but some share the same functions, and all are very important to the making of a place. Some toolbars may not be available for you. Click "View", "Toolbars", then enable all of the toolbars. Standard This toolbar includes buttons that are vital to the making of any place, complicated or simple. Tip: Clicking on an object selects it. New Place, Open Place, Save Place New Place (CTRL+N) - creates a new place and causes your screen to display that place. Open Place (CTRL+O) - allows you to browse to a place on your computer, then open it. To open a place, click this button, browse to the folder your place is in on your computer, click on the place, and click "Open". Save Place (CTRL+S) - allows you to save the place you currently have open. Cut (CTRL+X) - Takes the selected object, removes it, and allows it to be pasted into your workspace infinitely (see below) Copy (CTRL+C) - Takes the selected object and allows it to be pasted Cut, Copy, and Paste into your workspace infinitely Paste (CTRL+V) - Must have copied or cutted before using - Takes the cutted/copied object and puts it into the workspace when clicked. Can be used infinitely after copying/cutting. Undo (Ctrl+Z) - Undos the action you just performed. The drop-down menu does not serve any purpose currently. Redo (Ctrl+Y) - Redos the action you just performed. The drop-down menu does not server any purpose currently. Group (Ctrl+G) - Allows you to group the selected objects and lock the grouping so they can all be selected and moved together at need Ungroup (Ctrl+U) - Breaks the connection of a selected group of objects Rotate (Ctrl+R) - Rotates the selected object on a vertical axis Tilt (No Hotkey) - Rotates an the selected on a horizontal axis Rotate, Tilt, Move up, Move down Move up (No Hotkey) - Moves the selected object upwards Move down (No Hotkey) - Moves the selected object down Edit This toolbar includes buttons that allow you to manipulate selected, physical objects. All of the following do not have hotkeys. Drag - Clicking, holding, and dragging on a selected object with your mouse with this tool allows you to move the object. Clicking and holding on a selected o Drag, Move, Resize bject and pressing R rotates the object, and pressing T tilts the object. Move - Applies a set of intangible handles to the selected object. Each handle can be dragged to move the object with extra precision. Each handle only controls one axis of the object. Paint Bucket and Color Select Resize - Applies a set of intangible handles to the selected object. Each handle can be dragged to resize the object with extra precision. Each handle only controls one axis of the object. Lock - Disallows an object from being selected until the object is clicked again with the lock tool. Lock and Anchor Anchor - Disallows an object from being moved by an environmental force (The person editing the place is not an environmental force) Paint Bucket - Select a color in the drop down menu, then click on a block to paint it that color! Paint Bucket and Color Select Color Select - Click on a block to select its color for your paint bucket! Material Tool Material Tool - Select a material in the drop down menu, then click on a block to make the block that material! Smooth, Glue, Weld Surface Tools This is actually part of the Edit toolbar, but this part of the toolbar is so big it deserves its own sub-category. Smooth - Applies the "smooth" surface to a facet of a block. The smooth surface does not secure a block to another block. Glue - Applies the "glue" surface to a facet of a block. The glue surface joins a block to another but will break after a certain amount of stress is applied by a character or explosion unless anchored. Weld - Applies the "weld" surface to a facet of a block. The weld surface joins a block to another and can only be broken by explosions unless anchored. Stud, Inlet, Universal Stud - Applies the "stud" surface to a facet of a block. The stud surface only joins to inlet surfaces. Joints can only be broken by explosions unless anchored. Inlet - Applies the "inlet" surface to a facet of a block. The inlet surface only joins to stud surfaces. Joints can only be broken by explosions unless anchored. Universal - Applies the "universal" surface to a facet of a block. The universal surface joins to both studs and inlets alike. Joints can only be broken by explosions unless anchored. Hinge - Applies the "hinge" surface to a facet of a block. Anything on a hinge surface, except for glued or welded blocks, can rotate freely on the hinge until the joints are broken. Joints can only be broken by explosions unless anchored. Hinge and Motor Motor - Applies the "motor" surface to a facet of a block. Anything on a motor surface, except for glued or welded blocks, will constantly rotate on the motor until the joints are broken. Joints can only be broken by explosions unless anchored. Auto-Join Tools These tools don't actually automatically join blocks (as implied by the name) but they still are very nifty when it comes to modeling in smaller dimensions. Move - Same as the drag tool, but with a grid measure. Move, Rotate, Resize (special) Rotate - Creates three handles on the selected part. Moving the handle will tilt the part on a certain axis. Resize - Creates three handles on the selected part. Moving the handle will resize the part on a grid measure. Grid 1 - Causes bricks to be manipulated by the aformentioned tools on a standard grid measure. Grid .5 - Causes bricks to be manipulated by the aformentioned tools on a grid measure half the size of Grid Sizes standard. Grid x - Causes bricks to be manipulated by the aformentioned tools freely without a grid measure. Manual Joints - an option, where, when a block is put next to another block by the aformentioned tools, the block is joined to the other block. Manual Joints, Toolbox Toolbox - when clicked, a toolbox displaying free ROBLOX-employee made parts is shown. To access more parts, click the drop-down menu. To access player-made parts, click "Inventory" and select "Free Models" from the drop-down menu. Camera Most of these are self-explanatory, but some will need explanation. Pan Left - Move your point of view left. Pan Right - Move your point of view right. Pan Left, Pan Right, Tilt Up Tilt Up Tilt Down Tilt Down, Zoom In, Zoom Out Zoom In Zoom Out Look at Object - Looks at selected object Look at Object, Zoom Extents Zoom Extents - Zooms all the way up into the selected object Test This toolbar contains tools that will allow you to test your place and how it behaves. Play - Sets all blocks in your place into motion! Pause - Pauses all blocks in your place. Play, Pause, Revert Revert - Reverses all blocks in your place back to what they were before you played. Testing as a Player Whether you have no scripts, or your entire place is scripted, you will want to test it within in the Studio so that you are able to catch and eliminate existing bugs in your game before you actually release your game to the public, thus heightening players' respect for you. Roblox Studio offers two different modes for testing, 1: Solo mode, 2: Server-Client mode. Here is a breakdown of each: Solo Testing Mode In order to access Solo Testing Mode (you must currently have your window on an open place) click Tools > Test > Play Solo {C}Solo Testing mode starts your currently-edited place as if you joined it in Solo mode. Note that most leaderboard scripts (or any script that requires the OnJoined or OnJoining event) will not work, or will break, since that function is not called. (Most likely a bug.) Server-Client Mode The Server-Client mode is the best, but slowest way to test your map. It will catch most, if not all Lua errors. Starting Server-Client Mode First, click Tools > Test > Start Server. In order to add players to your server, click Tools > Test > Start Player. Repeat step 2 as many times as you like. After this, you will have several windows open. One will be the server, where you still have all the controls and functionality of ROBLOX studio, and the others will be "players" within the server that you can also control. Publishing Once you are done editing and testing your place, will you want to upload it to ROBLOX so other users can play it. Go to File -> Publish place to ROBLOX, then follow the steps to get it published. Depending on the size of your place, it may take about 15 - 30 seconds for it to get published. Once it says it's done, allow another minute for ROBLOX to generate the place icon. Your place is now uploaded to ROBLOX for users to play in. Enjoy!
PwnerRoy
#86354754Sunday, January 06, 2013 6:07 AM GMT

Thanks! I was looking for a list that contains all the hotkeys.
gamehero
#86387677Sunday, January 06, 2013 6:01 PM GMT

Cool, thanks. I guess some of the stuff listed here isn't accessible to us yet, like the marker feature. I don't see it anywhere in the Edit bar. But that's ok. I have more things to look forward to now.
Ravenger7
#86389209Sunday, January 06, 2013 6:19 PM GMT

I think some of his guide is based on 1.0.
Ravenger7
#86389314Sunday, January 06, 2013 6:20 PM GMT

One of my tasks coming up soon is to make a dialog that will show all the shortcuts. The shortcuts now appear on the toolbar buttons in the tooltips (hover your mouse over the button).
nforeman
#86594175Wednesday, January 09, 2013 8:50 PM GMT

I made an Updated Forum and It has this on 2.0 Beta.
jeffburton31
#86746132Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:34 AM GMT

Thanks.
nforeman
#86750063Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:24 AM GMT

We try. :L
Tyler19204
#86782129Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:18 PM GMT

thanks
SLPM
#86822057Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:06 AM GMT

ok
stealthyspetguest
#86911474Monday, January 14, 2013 12:05 AM GMT

The thread name has my name its the first time i saw someone elses thread with my name on it.
stealthyspetguest
#86911573Monday, January 14, 2013 12:06 AM GMT

Oh hello guys stealthyspetguest here.
zoomypie2
#88252625Friday, February 01, 2013 8:51 PM GMT

Voxhall
#88265167Friday, February 01, 2013 11:23 PM GMT

[ Content Deleted ]
droppop
#88275787Saturday, February 02, 2013 1:35 AM GMT

Dumb idiotic copy clan noob above ^
tears3106
#88286412Saturday, February 02, 2013 3:48 AM GMT

I'd test it out but I've missed the post of where to download the studio 2.0 and can't seem to find it.
iceberg303
#88315009Saturday, February 02, 2013 3:22 PM GMT

Thanks. . . I guess.
punks1
#88329350Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:32 PM GMT

so copying someones guide is a good thing now
AutoCorrection
#88331424Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:55 PM GMT

Alright i'm a bit confused, is it mostly about Hot key's?
Crumpled
#88370535Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:57 AM GMT

long
Slojoe903
#88373376Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:27 AM GMT

How do you add dialogue to models in Studio 2013? I cant find it
Mephitical
#88375538Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:49 AM GMT

Saving places takes too long. I have to wait about 1-2 minutes until the entire place is updated, or saved. I also really don't like the formatting of it. I like the new collision things for resize, cframe, and move, however I find it difficult seeing as sometimes when I click on the buttons, it moves other parts I don't want to move. It crashes frequently for me. Sorry, but overall, I can't say I really enjoy it.
hidden82
#88404971Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:54 PM GMT

How do I use the stamper tool in edit mode? When I press C to lock in the terrain so I can make it 3D is auto makes me go to the paint tool.
hidden82
#88405003Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:55 PM GMT

@Mephitical I 100% I agree with you, all those things happens to me too! I wish 1.0 was back. :(
Bergan
#88440593Sunday, February 03, 2013 8:17 PM GMT

Do you have a way to make the hotkey tools appear? Building is hard without them.

of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right