of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

SPIRITnU
#86982438Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:00 AM GMT

Originally posted by: SunDe NOTE: Normal scripting will still be here if this ever happened. NOTE: This is just an idea that I had while messing around with GameMaker: Studio, so please don't flame me too much. So baisically my idea is a 'Drag & drop' sort thing that would be similar to scripting. Example of my idea: Lets say a new builder named Joe is trying to make a game with no free models but doesn't know how to script, but his game requires a script. The obvious would be to learn scripting, but this idea might change that and appeal to new builders. Joe needs a gun so he makes a model of the gun makes it small and everything, then he goes to the 'Add Event' button, clicks it and a list would appear of a few baisic events, then if you hit 'Advanced...' you would get more advanced events. So he would drag to his event space, the event called 'Mouse' (could shoose from many diffrent mouse functions like: Left click, right click, enter, leave and a few other that I can't think of right now.) Then he would go over to the actions page, there would be alot of actions so it would have a few diffrent pages. he would go to one of them and drag the "Create moving object' to his actions, which would be under the 'Mouse' event. Then he would edit the properties the make the moving object of the bullet to where he wants the bullet to travel from and at what speed. That was one of the things you could do easily do with this idea. you could also make a 2-D GUI based RPG easier than it is. Make a normal RPG (it would still be hard but you could do it.) and many other games. Remember this is just and idea I had while playing around with GameMaker: Studio so try not to flame and hate too much.
DerProgrammierer
#86984223Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:20 AM GMT

This would just give people more reason not to learn to script.
SPIRITnU
#86984555Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:24 AM GMT

Because not everyone can remember how to make a zombie hug and attack people, if they want to appeal to younger devlopers then this would help.
TechWorks
#86984701Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:25 AM GMT

So, wait... Drag-and-drop methods/properties/events/etc.? I'd support, if only so that I don't have to toy around with the stupid 'script.Parent.Selected:connect(function() Click(mouse)end)' crap. Half-hearted support.
SPIRITnU
#86984743Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:26 AM GMT

@Tech Yes
SPIRITnU
#86985118Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:30 AM GMT

Bump.
DerProgrammierer
#86985458Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:34 AM GMT

It's honestly not hard to learn to program. "Because not everyone can remember how to make a zombie hug and attack people," It's not about remembering, it's about knowing how to do it. Which is different.
SPIRITnU
#86985576Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:36 AM GMT

Ok, sorry for using words incorrectly on a kids website. I have tried to learn scripting, but have failder every time. Gam maker has this, and a coding language, and if ROBLOX is focused towards kids as devolpers then I think that this would help alot.
DerProgrammierer
#86985985Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:41 AM GMT

Coding and great game making doesn't come from drag and drop. If you're going to make games as a career, you will not use any drag and drog method, but code it in some language like Java, C++, C, C# or a scripting language in combination. Trust me when I say programming, especially Roblox programming isn't hard. I'm currently building a game in Java, from scratch, and can tell you it's a lot harder than Roblox Lua.
SPIRITnU
#86986060Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:42 AM GMT

"It's honestly not hard to learn to program." -- Of course you would say that, you're programming in java and have been here for five years, and are probably older than most of the ROBLOXians, therefore you can understand scripting.
SPIRITnU
#86986174Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:44 AM GMT

@pug I know what the coding languages are, I am starting to learn a few myself, but I use ROBLOX as an easy to use game engine, so this would help the the 'easy' part. Also help the younger devlopers.
DerProgrammierer
#86986259Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:45 AM GMT

I learned scripting when I 13 or 14. Java was my second language. I've never had a class in programming. So all your arguments are invalid. All you need to know is basic algebra, and know the syntax, then it's incredibly easy.
SPIRITnU
#87029293Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:16 PM GMT

Bro, I'm 12. Why would you care? This would not effect you at all.
PolitePoster
#87031563Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:39 PM GMT

Sounds a lot like the Warcraft 3 trigger system. I support completely, but I doubt ROBLOX will make a revision this large. But if they did, we could expect some serious new expectations in gamemaking.
DerProgrammierer
#87037357Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:38 AM GMT

"Why would you care? This would not effect you at all." You know, you're right. I don't care. And people like you, and ideas like this, will ruin Roblox.
Zenyiii
#87038936Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:55 AM GMT

Pugzy, ideas like this would ruin ROBLOX? Please explain that to me because I see no way this idea could hurt anyone.
DerProgrammierer
#87042234Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:28 AM GMT

More crappy games will be made, why? Because no one will be willing to learn scripting, and have the false sense of being a 'great programmer' or 'game developer'. GameMaker games aren't all that great when they're created with their drag and drop. This idea strains way too far out of Roblox's main goals of teaching people to script.
RubiksCubix
#87042442Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:30 AM GMT

Like game maker 8? YES! I made an entire functioning RTS game!
RubiksCubix
#87042527Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:31 AM GMT

I coded most of it from scratch, but the drag and drop was still helpful.
Z007
#87043531Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:41 AM GMT

If you mean it'd be kinda like Visual Basic, then maybe support. However, I believe that the CEO/Roblox wants people to learn it, to have fun learning it, and, as I've already said, to learn something.
Zenyiii
#87045571Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:04 AM GMT

How would giving people the ability to script ruin games? People would actually go out to make what they wanted to make rather than browse Free Models till they found a premade game.
cjcool12345
#87045621Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:05 AM GMT

I completely agree with this idea and I think I heard a similar idea mentioned by an administrator about a future update to the Scripting Environment. This functionality would also make it easier to detect possible errors (by detecting what the objects class is to get the methods, events, and properties) even before the game is started. This has already been done by more advanced Scripting Environments like Dreamweaver and Visual Studio. I do hope I am understanding this idea the same as you are, but I tried by best to understand this idea.
DerProgrammierer
#87046487Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:15 AM GMT

"How would giving people the ability to script ruin games? People would actually go out to make what they wanted to make rather than browse Free Models till they found a premade game." This isn't scripting. To make a game yourself, you must program it. This is using predefined code to make a game. In essence, it's no different than using free models.
surge905
#87049830Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:03 AM GMT

A drag and drop system can be as complicated as legit scripting, and WAY underpowered. No support.
Summercakealt
#87050491Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:12 AM GMT

First off, learn how to space your paragraphs. It's not that hard to press a button 2 or 3 times between paragraphs. Anyway, we don't need a new way to script. Scripting isn't that difficult if you just keep practicing. Even if ROBLOX is targeted at a young age group, scripting has no age limit. Sure, it may be hard for them to understand, but that shouldn't get in the way of them having fun. And who says that you need to script to have fun on ROBLOX? These young kids could just play games, and when they're a bit older, start scripting. This way is just unnecessary being that our original scripting is easy, for the most part, and it doesn't need to get more complicated by adding a new system or changes. Point is, don't fix what's not broken. Or in this case, replace something not broken...? Add something that replaces something old? I don't know. You know what I mean.

of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right