of     1   

Juddily
#94254718Monday, April 08, 2013 4:17 AM GMT

Now, for those who aren't savvy with scripting and game design, Data persistence is the thing that saves your stats when you exit it a game, so when you come back you don't lose your progress. Before data persistence, there was no way of easily saving. Most save systems generated a code, and you'd have to say "load/[yourcodehere]" to load your stats. Basically, data persistence can only be saved on one game. For example, I can't access your stats from 'Base Wars' to use in my game, 'Dragon Battle.' Now, this has been a roadblock in trying to balance my games. I have tried to create a ranking system so that players of a certain rank can go into a higher ranked version of my game, so people who are really good at my game aren't playing with beginners. If you've ever played 'Base Wars' you may know that some people have ridiculously overpowered weapons, and some have ridiculously under-powered weapons. With this new data persistence, you'd only be able to access stats from a game that YOU own. So Jane Doe can't take a player's stats from John Doe's game to use in her own game. However, she can take the stats from one of her own games.
Juddily
#94255274Monday, April 08, 2013 4:25 AM GMT

No support for game design features? I suppose that would be typical in a forum not generally based around game design. Shamless self bump.
axons
#94255421Monday, April 08, 2013 4:27 AM GMT

It should be easily available for game makers so if they want it in their game they can put it in their game. Some game makers might not want it in their games
Juddily
#94255553Monday, April 08, 2013 4:29 AM GMT

If they don't want it, they don't put it in. Right now, normal data persistence isn't easy. You need to have intermediate scripting knowledge.

of     1