of     3   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

DeathStarGoBoom
#105208573Friday, July 12, 2013 9:20 PM GMT

We don't need a WL and BL, just a blacklist. Why? The whitelist blocks random things people say for the lolz, the 600+ pokemon names, and more. I suggest we keep the blacklist though so bad things get filtered and good things dont.
DeathStarGoBoom
#105209019Friday, July 12, 2013 9:23 PM GMT

bump
TecmagDiams
#105209194Friday, July 12, 2013 9:25 PM GMT

Sir, that's not how filters work. ALL blocked words are by definition on the Blacklist. A whitelist is when a filter ONLY allows words from a list. For example, if I have a place that is public, I might have a BLACKLIST to block users that have broken place rules. If I have a place that is private but I want testers, I might have a WHITELIST to allow in only certain users.
DeathStarGoBoom
#105209852Friday, July 12, 2013 9:31 PM GMT

But the whitelist blocks some completely innocent things, including many video game terms, random things said for lolz, and everyday words
TecmagDiams
#105237637Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:30 AM GMT

That's a BLACKLIST not a whitelist. Word filters are ONLY BLACKLISTS.
MarylandFriedChicken
#105237921Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:33 AM GMT

@Tec, Once again you miss the whole point of yet another, thread. And just argue about the tiniest little flaw in the thread.
TecmagDiams
#105239761Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:49 AM GMT

Word choice is important. I understand the purpose of the thread. I agree that the word filter needs work, but "Remove the filter whitelist", never had one, check, done. Nothing has changed.
DeathStarGoBoom
#105245271Saturday, July 13, 2013 2:39 AM GMT

Roblox uses a whitelist AND blacklist We only need a blacklist
TecmagDiams
#105256015Saturday, July 13, 2013 4:25 AM GMT

"ALL blocked words are by definition on the Blacklist. A whitelist is when a filter ONLY allows words from a list." You literally can only use one at a time. Here is an example: I have a whitelist of "Fish", "And", "Chips" You can say "Fish and chips" or "Fish Chips" You can not say "Fish sticks" because "Sticks" is not whitelisted. I have a blacklist of "Dishes" "Soda" I can say anything I want, "I went to the pizza place!" "I cleaned the house!" I can NOT say "I ate pizza and drank soda." "Soda" is blacklisted.
DeathStarGoBoom
#105292419Saturday, July 13, 2013 2:37 PM GMT

You're failing to see my point.
TecmagDiams
#105378554Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:29 AM GMT

As long as your point is: "Roblox uses a whitelist AND blacklist We only need a blacklist" No, I'm not. ROBLOX ONLY uses a Blacklist, that is, unless you are in Supersafe Chat ingame, THAT is a whitelist. If your point is that the word filter needs work, I covered that too: "I agree that the word filter needs work, but "Remove the filter whitelist", never had one, check, done. Nothing has changed."
DeathStarGoBoom
#105429782Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:32 PM GMT

False, ROBLOX stated that both are used.
izurup
#105430404Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:38 PM GMT

Is the whitelist causing most of the "######"s or is that the blacklist's fault?
DeathStarGoBoom
#105439841Sunday, July 14, 2013 7:12 PM GMT

The whitelist blocks many basic terms, pokemon names and such
TwentyTwoPilots
#105440032Sunday, July 14, 2013 7:14 PM GMT

Both the blacklist and the whitelist can change words to be hashtags, or pound symbols depending on what you call them. I am an eggspert in the eggcelent art of egg puns.
Espithel
#105440323Sunday, July 14, 2013 7:17 PM GMT

@Tech: Either way, they use a whitelist. A whitelist. For the english language. A blacklist would be far better. Mweh... I would say support but... Actually... Meh.
DeathStarGoBoom
#105461504Sunday, July 14, 2013 10:28 PM GMT

@alex The blacklist only blocks stuff that should be blocked, but not all of it.
TecmagDiams
#105654596Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:17 PM GMT

(Sorry for not responding, got busy with work, and spent most of my time at home asleep). If ROBLOX claimed they use both a whitelist and a blacklist at the same time then they made a mistake, as those are the opposite of eachother. Again, by definition, a blacklist blocks specific things, a whitelist blocks everything but a list of specific things. Super-safe chat is a whitelist. You have a list of pre-approved things you can say and here. Normal chat uses a blacklist, you can say anything you want, as long as none of the words are on the blacklist. Doesn't matter if it's a profanity or a pokemon name getting blocked, they are part of the blacklist. If you need further proof, please use a popular search engine with a define feature, such as Google. define:blacklist "A list of people or products viewed with suspicion or disapproval." This covers what we, as non-super-safe chat users experience. There are specific words that are disapproved, and blocked. These words include profanity, names of some products, etc. ("Minecraft" for example, used to be blacklisted.) define:whitelist "A whitelist is a list or register of those that are being provided a particular privilege, service, mobility, access or recognition. Only those on the list will be accepted, approved or recognized. Whitelisting is the reverse of blacklisting..." This does not show up for us non-super-safe chat users. We are allowed to say anything we want, as long as it is not part of the blacklist. ROBLOX has not compiled a list of every word you are allowed to say, if they did, THAT would be a whitelist. Instead we can make up words if we want, like "scebargna." In a whitelist such a spontaneously made up word would be blocked, because it was not on the whitelist. An example is to imagine two business, a public golfing range, and a private country club. The golf range uses a blacklist. EVERYONE can come golf, unless that person has caused huge problems and been banned from the premises. So you and I could go there, but Kid Vandelizer II couldn't because he sprayed up the side of the building. He's blacklisted. The private country club on the other hand only lets members in. I have a fancy, McFancy Club Card and am allowed in, you do not though, and are not allowed in. This is a whitelist, I have been approved to come in, so I can, but no one else can unless they too get approved.
TecmagDiams
#105656878Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:40 PM GMT

Anyways, I do agree that a lot of the things on the blacklist seem, silly at best. We as users though may be ignorant as to reasons why the corperation has blacklisted friendly seeming terms. Perhaps it was to avoid lawsuit, or simply legal bullying (which happens all the time). I do think the list needs to be looked over and cleaned of common problems much more often, but there is no whitelist to remove from basic user chat.
DeathStarGoBoom
#105657559Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:48 PM GMT

Tecmag, you're not understanding. ROBLOX confirmed themselves that they use a whitelist.
TecmagDiams
#105657840Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:51 PM GMT

Koolkid64, you are not understanding. "If ROBLOX claimed they use both a whitelist and a blacklist at the same time then they made a mistake, as those are the opposite of eachother. Again, by definition, a blacklist blocks specific things, a whitelist blocks everything but a list of specific things." You literally can not have a blacklist and a whitelist at the same time. a Whitelist OVERRIDES a blacklist, as it only allows approved items through. Please, actually read what I said, educate yourself, stop being ignorant. The ONLY way that a whitelist is used in ROBLOX is Super-Safe Chat, which is a Whitelist of things that can be said by users it applies to.
pierocks13243
#178600141Thursday, November 26, 2015 4:47 AM GMT

srsly, tec. STFU
kyra507388
#179776638Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:29 AM GMT

I say you should just be able to say anything except cuss words and things that aren't very nice. I have tried many times to say things that I want to and they have never been bad, but people have not been able to understand what I am saying because of the whitelist
Andromeday
#180375927Saturday, December 26, 2015 2:00 PM GMT

Yea why is the pound symbol not allowed im english so i don't crappers oops sorry i mean dollars.
DyanyIzMyName
#183229212Monday, February 08, 2016 9:07 PM GMT

Yeah, I have ######### on, VERY annoying. I can't understand ANYONE unless they know the ######### ##### and only use those, which is ######. Also, ###### is not a ######### word. I don't know why.

of     3   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right