of     1   

Saber47
#130434936Friday, April 11, 2014 6:58 PM GMT

The new studio just got a HUGE update. I say it's a decent update since the buttons are bigger and you can color multiple things at one time. What do you guys think about the layout now?
Visleaf
#130457020Friday, April 11, 2014 10:39 PM GMT

It's alright but I ain't switching yet. Here's the stuff I found; - Resizing the window does not properly resize and/or clip the icons. To replicate this, resize it at any tab and look at the empty space and how it will never get filled up, also look at the icons which'll dissapear for no reason. Wasted horizontal space and vertical space. There's vast empty spaces of white. - Everything is flat but the selection highlighter in the explorer subwindow is not. Neither is the one in the Properties subwindow. Please flatten everything at once, no subtle gradients or softness anywhere at all. - Property 3D view tools are gone, instead they're glorified property shortcuts. The search bar in the property subwindow happened so we wouldn't need this. We do not need this. - Double tabbed layouts always confuse everyone. This is why they're avoided in Android apps, as well as in any actual ribbon program. In Excel, the second tabs are on the bottom of the screen. Most ribbon'd programs lack the subwindow system from Office 2003 or at least try to hide it (powerpoint, publisher etc., notice how they replaced the stylings subwindow with the context/rightclick menu). This is because they weren't made to be used together. - Plugin icons clash with the new style. I don't like it, then again there are barely any plugins worth using anyway. - The ribbon takes up more vertical space than the classic UI. Vertical space is important for subwindows like the output. The roblox ribbon currently takes up more than the excel/wordpad ribbon, and is twice as thick as the classic layout. - The motor and hinge and probably other cursors aren't updated yet. I don't mind it, I like them. But maybe someone else doesn't. - The SCRIPT MENU is redundant. Just give us some hotkeys to do these things or add these features to the Edit tab in the classic view. - More than half of the INSERT tab is redundant. Please. Let's not. - We can set grid sizes to 16 studs but can't resize in increments of 16. Please, this'll simplify my workflow. The steps should go from 0-0.2-1-8-16. Better yet, make these customizable. The ribbon allows textboxes and so does the classic view. (office uses textboxes in both the ribbon and the classic UI) - But how fix? Incorporate the new flat scrollbars and buttons and icons into the old menu design. Clean up the old menu fonts, move the new features over to the old bar system and setup some new bars for the Clients and Servers, the Debugger and the other new and "new" ribbon subcategories. Also fix the desync in toolbar positionings between playtesting and editing. Just get a third UI style in there called Hybrid or something. Apparently you can still move the command bar around, I wonder if that's redone or recycled. Either way it's nice. Before you ask, yes I am aware of the fact that you can minimize the ribbon by doubleclicking the topmost set of tabs (or the arrow). No, this obviously does not fix the space-related issues. Before you ask, yes I am aware of the fact that the new ribbon is very pretty. I like the colors and the contrasts and it works well with classic aero edition. It looks good. But so does the classic UI. I also like how it doesn't break with classic aero edition because it's using its own scrollbar graphics. That's a good thing. All in all, my advice is to make the classic UI catch up with the new one in terms of both looks and the (very) minor new functionality, so there'll be no reason to switch to the ribbon UI.

of     1