doctorgonzo
#145929539Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:24 AM GMT

"Osama bin Laden the creator of al-Qaeda and responsible for 2 million deaths" except al-qaeda isn't responsible for 2 million deaths? also where are these people on your list of those to be executed? FDR and harry truman (disregard for the japanese race, encouraged discrimination against them, atomic bombing) JFK, LBJ, richard nixon (vietnam war, nixon also installed pinochet as dictator of chile) ronald reagan (various wars around the planet, iran-contra scandal)
bubbleduck
#145929609Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:25 AM GMT

also lets kill obama hes going to drop bombs that will kill people
Ithesportsbomb
#145929629Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:25 AM GMT

"except al-qaeda isn't responsible for 2 million deaths?" So now you're arguing the number, as if its okay if they're only responsible for 1 million or whatever number you want to argue? Are you serious?
SRHL
#145929672Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:26 AM GMT

Think about it this way. Would you rather have: 1) a murderer killing 3 innocent people and not receiving the death penalty 2) prison guards performing capital punishment on a murderer who killed 2 innocent people If I had to choose one, I'd take 2.
Islesllah
#145929677Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:26 AM GMT

We also need to stop people like ithe; another problem with mass shootings is that most people who do these crimes are mentally/psychologically sick. I hate the perception that "Kill them! These people are monsters! If they aren't completely r3t@rd3d they're smart enough to do the time!" and that notion is probably a big chunk of why we're so backwards as far as our mental health treatment.
doctorgonzo
#145929685Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:26 AM GMT

also george w. bush is responsible for the iraq war
Ithesportsbomb
#145929716Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:27 AM GMT

@cap YESSSSS finally someone gets it
bubbleduck
#145929783Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:28 AM GMT

THIS IS WHY I DONT LIKE ALL THESE POINTLESS TEXAS THREADS THEY GO NOWHERE
doctorgonzo
#145929789Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:28 AM GMT

"So now you're arguing the number, as if its okay if they're only responsible for 1 million or whatever number you want to argue? Are you serious?" pointing out a factual error. americans killed more innocent civilians than al-qaeda did, so why aren't you going after your own presidents?
CheeseyMacral
#145929825Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:28 AM GMT

>Because that would be ridding society of serious threats explain what you mean by "serious threats", because by my understanding, anyone who supports the death penalty is no better than the murderer themselves, as they not only accept the fact that they are dying and are okay with it, but go out of their way to say they SUPPORT the killing and enjoy it when the murderer is killed Iᴛ ᴀɪɴᴛ ᴇᴀsʏ, ʙᴇɪɴɢ Cʜᴇᴇsᴇʏ.
Ithesportsbomb
#145929859Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:29 AM GMT

@tato, are you saying America is the bad guy for killing the Japanese? What were they supposed to do, sit back and have millions of Americans soldiers just go in and fight and hope you win fair and square? They took the opportunity to devastate the opponent and that's what they did. That's how war works
TinyBerry3
#145929885Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:29 AM GMT

What is your alternative to the death sentence Cheesey (this is an honest question)?
doctorgonzo
#145929910Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:29 AM GMT

@kap i'd prefer seeing no one dead in the first place, and i would take option a because it is pointless to kill one more person to teach people a lesson about not killing people
Ithesportsbomb
#145929964Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:30 AM GMT

Its not about teaching a lesson, Cap and I have made that clear. Its about saving the lives on innocent people at risk
Swagudelo
#145929985Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:30 AM GMT

"Brewer and two other white men kidnapped the 49-year-old black man on the night of June 7, 1998. They chained him by the ankles to the back of a pickup truck and dragged him for 3 ½ miles down a country road near Jasper, Texas. Byrd died when he was decapitated after he hit a culvert. Prosecutors said the crime, which they described it as one of the most vicious hate crimes in U.S. history, was intended to promote Brewer's fledgling white supremacist organization. During his 1999 trial, they called Brewer a racist psychopath. Brewer was a former "Exalted Cyclops" of a racist prison gang affiliated with the triple K. He spent most of his adult life in prison for burglary, cocaine possession and parole violations." I guess we should have let him keep committing hate crimes lol
Islesllah
#145930166Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:33 AM GMT

"What were they supposed to do, sit back and have millions of Americans soldiers just go in and fight and hope you win fair and square? They took the opportunity to devastate the opponent and that's what they did. That's how war works" Except the bombings by the US all killed civilians and not soldiers? By your logic, the H0l0c@u$t wasn't a genocidal tragedy, but rather a war between Axis-controlled countries and Jews, and the Jews just lost it.
Ithesportsbomb
#145930221Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:34 AM GMT

Yes, we killed civilians. But we won. Japan bombed us, we won.
CheeseyMacral
#145930222Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:34 AM GMT

>What were they supposed to do, sit back and have millions of Americans soldiers just go in and fight and hope you win fair and square? They took the opportunity to devastate the opponent and that's what they did. That's how war works ever heard of internment camps? they are BARELY a step up from concentration camps, the only difference is that the US never killed any of the prisoners >What is your alternative to the death sentence Cheesey (this is an honest question)? life imprisonment or many years in jail with programs to help reform the prisoner Iᴛ ᴀɪɴᴛ ᴇᴀsʏ, ʙᴇɪɴɢ Cʜᴇᴇsᴇʏ.
doctorgonzo
#145930268Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:34 AM GMT

"are you saying America is the bad guy for killing the Japanese?" in a just war? no. by dropping nuclear weapons on innocent civilians, mutiliating the dead, and killing POWs? yes "What were they supposed to do, sit back and have millions of Americans soldiers just go in and fight and hope you win fair and square?" not drop the nuclear bomb because japan was about to surrender? "They took the opportunity to devastate the opponent and that's what they did. That's how war works" so pearl harbour was a good thing and the japanese should be commended for their good ideas. great to know "Its not about teaching a lesson, Cap and I have made that clear. Its about saving the lives on innocent people at risk" well gee that's what prison is for. i guess you forgot that that's what the people who don't have the death penalty do. they lock up their criminals "I guess we should have let him keep committing hate crimes lol" what do you think jail is for moron?
SRHL
#145930272Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:34 AM GMT

I believe that if a murderer kills one person, they can either immediately regret it and not commit another, or be rehabilitated in some other way, whether it be prison or a mental institute. Personally I think that some countries like America don't understand "rehabilitation" as well as some other countries like Norway, and that's probably the reason why a significant number of American inmates aren't fully rehabilitated. They need to focus on fixing that first. Right now they're just letting people walk out without knowing exactly how much of a danger they are to society. Unfortunately some of those people continue to take lives that are worth just as much as their own, and they have to be thrown into a prison again where the government continues to fund their imprisonment with thousands of dollars. Even so, I still think it makes sense to execute people who have repeatedly committed murder. Some people unfortunately just can't be rehabilitated.
perrandude
#145930401Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:36 AM GMT

People like Augusto Pinochet and Saddam Hussein deserve to not only be executed, but be severely tortured (in Pinochet's case) and sprayed with chemical weapons (in Hussein's case) tbh.
Ithesportsbomb
#145930492Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:37 AM GMT

"well gee that's what prison is for." Its also to keep dangerous people out of it for a while
TinyBerry3
#145930523Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:37 AM GMT

"life imprisonment or many years in jail with programs to help reform the prisoner" Seems valid and people get that. Now that costs tax payers money to do. I don't know the proportionality to that and the cost to give a lethal injection so I'll stop there and leave you with that.
doctorgonzo
#145930527Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:37 AM GMT

"Yes, we killed civilians. But we won. Japan bombed us, we won." there were still war crimes committed despite the fact the USA "won". and why is the hiroshima/nagasaki bombings justified and the pearl harbour bombing bad?
Islesllah
#145930537Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:37 AM GMT

"Its not about teaching a lesson, Cap and I have made that clear. Its about saving the lives on innocent people at risk" Please explain how killing someone is more efficient than imprisoning them to save innocent lives, when both of them remove the person from outside civilization. Only difference between the tow is one is the government doing the same thing the offender did, whereas imprisonment (if we start to actually reform our prison system and start using incarceration properly) rehabilitates the perpetrator.