of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

Zukaro
#145982826Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:14 PM GMT

Roblox now works on every OS but Linux (it's on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android (I know Android is Linux based, but there's no desktop version of Roblox for Linux yet)). Why not bring it to Linux now? Especially since the Mac is a Unix like OS (as is Linux), so porting the game from Mac to Linux shouldn't be too hard. On top of that, many many MANY games are starting to support Linux these days. And with the Steam Machines just around the corner wouldn't it be nice to get a head start on that? For example, make Roblox a sort of launch title for the Steam Machine (get it running on Linux now so it's ready for the Steam Machine release, and then put Roblox on Steam). Regardless of the Steam Machines though, it would still make a lot of sense to bring Roblox to Linux. While Linux may have been reported to have a very small portion of the market, the reality is those studies are somewhat flawed. As even people who use Linux often still have to use either Windows or Mac for most of their games. That's starting to change though, and it's changed to the point where I use Linux exclusivly. I do still have Windows, but I only use that for singleplayer games as then I can beat those games and go back to Linux. Any multiplayer games I play work on Linux. From what I've read, the devs of Roblox have been considering this, but are waiting to see how SteamOS does. Their argument is they would rather work on more requested features first. But personally, I believe that bringing Roblox to Linux earlier would be far more beneficial. Essentially this way all future updates would work on Linux, and they wouldn't have to worry about the process of porting the game again in the future. While it may not be the most requested feature (although personally I do think it is a very requested feature), it's definitly an important feature.
videofindersTV
#145984829Saturday, September 13, 2014 7:43 PM GMT

The only reason why I still use Mac OS X is because of ROBLOX. I would like to switch to Arch once this port becomes a reality. Support!
Zukaro
#146001109Saturday, September 13, 2014 11:19 PM GMT

bump
Zukaro
#151540916Friday, December 12, 2014 8:04 AM GMT

bump
Spamroach
#151540938Friday, December 12, 2014 8:06 AM GMT

Support.
nanana
#151540979Friday, December 12, 2014 8:10 AM GMT

You can get ROBLOX for Linux. Here's a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKyd_ci0IoE
Shadoward12
#151540985Friday, December 12, 2014 8:11 AM GMT

Support. I'm currently running a dual boot Windows 8/Ubuntu. Roblox is the sole reason I'm still running Windows 8 at all.
Zukaro
#151541031Friday, December 12, 2014 8:17 AM GMT

"You can get ROBLOX for Linux. Here's a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKyd_ci0IoE" I'm aware of WINE and things like WINE, but I would much rather have ROBLOX run nativly on Linux. There's no reason it can't, especially when it's already been ported to LITERALLY EVERY OTHER PLATFORM. I see no reason to continue to leave Linux out.
BlinShotgun
#151542354Friday, December 12, 2014 11:39 AM GMT

Well, why don't you use WINE to play ROBLOX? Well, it's the only option.. ROBLOX is working on porting the game to Linux, but it takes time. [Blox yourselves, people.]
Decompiled
#151542739Friday, December 12, 2014 12:19 PM GMT

"Especially since the Mac is a Unix like OS (as is Linux), so porting the game from Mac to Linux shouldn't be too hard." Do you even know what is the difference between "Unix-like" and "Unix-based"? Let me do a "evolving" schema: HOW MAC OS X BECAME MAC OS X: Research Unix > BSD > NextStep > Darwin > Mac OS X HOW LINUX BECAME LINUX: Research Unix > GNU > GNU/Linux (or simply Linux) The differences between them is huge. The framework of both operating systems are completely different. Also, Linux is not AN operating system. It's a kernel. To use the Linux kernel you need what we call a "Distribution". Most distributions comes with different packages, and each piece of software need to be optimized for it. Now, ROBLOX would need to optimize the game for all the distributions. And there's not only 30 distributions. Here's a list of them: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg Yeah, I suppose ROBLOX will port it to all the distributions, isn't it? Because certain linux users can use their favorite distributions? How about no?
Zukaro
#151553302Friday, December 12, 2014 7:47 PM GMT

"Well, why don't you use WINE to play ROBLOX? Well, it's the only option.. ROBLOX is working on porting the game to Linux, but it takes time." From what I've heard, they're not actually working on it. I sent them an email asking and this is what I recieved: "Hello Zukaro, Thank you for your inquiry. At this time, there are no plans for a Linux based client. However, you can post this suggestion on our Suggestions and Ideas forum. Here is the link: http://www.roblox.com/Forum/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=21 Our team appreciates ideas and suggestions from our players and builders to help us make the ROBLOX experience even better. Sincerely, Litton Customer Service ROBLOX https://en.help.roblox.com/"
Zukaro
#151553469Friday, December 12, 2014 7:52 PM GMT

""Especially since the Mac is a Unix like OS (as is Linux), so porting the game from Mac to Linux shouldn't be too hard." Do you even know what is the difference between "Unix-like" and "Unix-based"? Let me do a "evolving" schema: HOW MAC OS X BECAME MAC OS X: Research Unix > BSD > NextStep > Darwin > Mac OS X HOW LINUX BECAME LINUX: Research Unix > GNU > GNU/Linux (or simply Linux) The differences between them is huge. The framework of both operating systems are completely different. Also, Linux is not AN operating system. It's a kernel. To use the Linux kernel you need what we call a "Distribution". Most distributions comes with different packages, and each piece of software need to be optimized for it. Now, ROBLOX would need to optimize the game for all the distributions. And there's not only 30 distributions. Here's a list of them: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg Yeah, I suppose ROBLOX will port it to all the distributions, isn't it? Because certain linux users can use their favorite distributions? How about no?" I'm aware there are many differences between OS X and Linux, but there are enough similarities that it's far easier to port from OS X to Linux than it is to go from Windows to Linux. I know Linux is a kernal and not an OS; when someone says bring it to Linux they're saying put it on at least one of the Linux distros, most likely Ubuntu. ROBLOX would only have to deal with Ubuntu, as that's what all the other people bringing games to Linux deal with. If it's on Ubuntu people will be able to get it working on other distros themselves if they wish, as then it's just a matter of having the libraries you need available and in the locations the game would look for them. I know there's millions of Linux distros out there. ROBLOX does not have to support all of them; they should focus on Ubuntu. The Linux community can get ROBLOX working on other distros from there as then it's a matter of using the right libraries.
Zukaro
#151593587Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:03 AM GMT

bump
iLethality
#151594017Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:19 AM GMT

Im using Windows 10. Anyway I support this one.
nanana
#151594178Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:26 AM GMT

I don't see no harm in it. Support.
Vexeldio
#151594269Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:30 AM GMT

Linux isn't that popular. Roblox may do it in the future. But I support because I want more people to play Roblox. #Support!
iLethality
#151594682Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:46 AM GMT

*Clicks the Support Button* (Im the guy who spread this kind of Supporting xD)
Zukaro
#151595029Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:59 AM GMT

"Linux isn't that popular. Roblox may do it in the future. But I support because I want more people to play Roblox. #Support!" Linux has been gaining quite a bit of popularity on the desktop lately. And the game library on Linux is now sugnificantly bigger; there are now thousands of games for Linux. Just a few years ago (I think two years ago) there were essentially no games on Linux.
Valoric
#151595176Saturday, December 13, 2014 8:05 AM GMT

support
evanbecker67890
#151596396Saturday, December 13, 2014 9:19 AM GMT

Hey idiot did you know chrome now has an OS. Get over yourself roblox isn't going to put there games onto all softwares. It's not like I think they're someday going to put roblox on chromebooks. [Error 404] "Siggy" Not Found
Zukaro
#151596452Saturday, December 13, 2014 9:23 AM GMT

"Hey idiot did you know chrome now has an OS. Get over yourself roblox isn't going to put there games onto all softwares. It's not like I think they're someday going to put roblox on chromebooks." ChromeOS is Linux based. But I'm pretty sure ChromeOS can run Android apps, and ROBLOX runs on Android. But I really see no reason for ROBLOX to not support Linux. Many games have been making their way to Linux recently.
evanbecker67890
#151596555Saturday, December 13, 2014 9:30 AM GMT

"ChromeOS is Linux based. But I'm pretty sure ChromeOS can run Android apps, and ROBLOX runs on Android." How I wish that was true. I'm using a chromebook right now. If there was a way for me to run roblox I wouldn't be foruming I would be playing games. But I really see no reason for ROBLOX to not support Linux. Many games have been making their way to Linux recently." Yes games have been leading towards linux recently. Why not keep roblox away from the crowd keep it with Windows,Android,Amazon, and Apple. [Error 404] "Siggy" Not Found
Guest71928
#151596595Saturday, December 13, 2014 9:33 AM GMT

linux users wont buy bc u failed {the 450th rider} add 9k to my post count my 2 prev accs were deleted
Guest71928
#151596599Saturday, December 13, 2014 9:33 AM GMT

but i support anyway linux > windows it just needs to work with everything {the 450th rider} add 9k to my post count my 2 prev accs were deleted
agenthugo
#151596756Saturday, December 13, 2014 9:46 AM GMT

they have said that they will see if a certain platform gets enough supporters they will maybe start developing roblox for it. so i guess we'll just have to show the amount of linux users and maybe get them thinking about it.

of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right