of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

ebenton95
#153469854Wednesday, January 07, 2015 9:52 PM GMT

Im bored right now, so what im going to do is take a look at some previous nhl drafts and see what were the top 3 best players overall, the top 3 steals, and the top 3 busts of each year's draft from 2005 to 2012. 2005 Draft: Top 3 overall- 1. Sidney Crosby (1st overall, Pittsburgh Penguins)- Not a surprise to see Crosby as the best player in the draft. The hype surrounding this draft was big because of him. He hasn't disappointed either, putting up five 100-point seasons, two Art Ross trophies, two Hart trophies, one Maurice Richard trophy, and winning a Stanley Cup in 2009. 2. Tuukka Rask (21st overall, Toronto Maple Leafs)- The NHL's most recent Vezina Trophy winner is second on the list. Originally drafted by the Leafs, but never played a game for them. He was traded to the Bruins for former Calder Trophy winner Andrew Raycroft. In addition to winning the Vezina, Rask won the Stanley Cup with the Bruins in 2011 as a backup. 3. Anze Kopitar (11th overall, LA Kings)- 3rd on the top 3 overall is Anze Kopitar. He is the first Slovenian to play in the NHL, the Kings #1 center and the team leader in scoring for the past seven seasons. He was a significant piece in the Kings first two Stanley Cup wins in 2012 and 2014, and in the 2013-2014 season he was a finalist for the Selke trophy. Top 3 steals- 1. Jonathan Quick (72nd overall, LA Kings)- Quick is my choice for biggest steal of the 2005 draft. He truly is the backbone of the Kings and was a major factor for their two Stanley Cup wins, winning the Conn Smythe trophy for playoff MVP in the 2012 playoffs. He won the Jennings trophy for the 2013-2014 season and was a Vezina finalist in the 2011-2012 season. 2. Kris Letang (62nd overall, Pittsburgh Penguins)- Letang is my second choice for top 3 steals of the draft. He is the Penguins top defenseman and is one of the best offensive-defensemen in the league. However, compared to Quick, I feel that Letang has less significance for the Penguins than Quick does for the Kings, and that was my deciding factor between the two. He was a Norris Trophy finalist in the 2012-2013 season and won the Stanley Cup with the Penguins in 2009. 3. Patric Hornqvist (230th overall, Nashville Predators)- Hornqvist is my 3rd choice for this list. He was the final selection of the 2005 draft, and turned out to be one of the best choices for this draft. His stats dont indicate that he's a star player, but considering that he's played on a defensive minded Predators team most of his career could be why his stats aren't very high. Now that he is on the Penguins, his stats seem to be rising. While I believe there are more talented later-round players in this draft that you could consider here, the fact that Hornqvist was the last pick in this draft and has been successful despite that was why I chose him. Top 3 busts- 1. Gilbert Brule (6th overall, Columbus Blue Jackets)- My top choice for busts of the 2005 draft is Brule. He only had one somewhat successful season with the Oilers in the 09-10 season, putting up 37 points in 65 games, but other then that he didn't achieve much. He is currently playing in the KHL. 2. Jack Skille (7th overall, Chicago Blackhawks)- 2nd bust of this draft goes to Skille. He hasn't spent much time in the NHL in his career so far, and only has 60 points in 228 games. 3. Benoit Pouliot (4th overall, Minnesota Wild)- My 3rd pick for biggest busts for this draft year is Benoit Pouliot. While his stats might not be as bad as the other two busts here, he hasn't lived up to the expectations that most top 5 picks face. Considering that he has changed teams for the past 5 seasons seems to also indicate that he isn't desirable enough to keep around for some teams. So what's your opinion of my choices for these categories? Also i will be doing the 2006 draft later.
LolCanucksSuck
#153470097Wednesday, January 07, 2015 9:55 PM GMT

HOW DARE YOU UNDERRATE TUUKKA!!1
wistfulspongebobbest
#153470234Wednesday, January 07, 2015 9:57 PM GMT

Pouliot isnt bad
Spai1
#153470260Wednesday, January 07, 2015 9:57 PM GMT

Pouliot is bad
drbat
#153470261Wednesday, January 07, 2015 9:57 PM GMT

Do one for 2003. That is one of the biggest NHL drafts in the 21st century. Butch Jones is the real Messiah
ebenton95
#153477678Wednesday, January 07, 2015 11:35 PM GMT

@dr I might do that along with a few other drafts that are considered the best nhl drafts.
AnxiousPants
#153478837Wednesday, January 07, 2015 11:51 PM GMT

do 1995 draft
ebenton95
#153483656Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:50 AM GMT

2006 Draft: Top 3 Overall- 1. Jonathan Toews (3rd overall, Chicago Blackhawks)- Toews is my top player overall for the 2006 draft. While he doesn't put up superstar points, he is definitely one of the best, if not the best, two way forwards in the game today. He is also known for his hard work ethic and leadership, which is why he was named the captain of the Hawks after his rookie year. He has won two Stanley cups, both with the Blackhawks, in 2010 and 2013, as well as two Olympic gold medals. In addition, he won the 2010 Conn Smythe trophy and the 2013 Selke trophy. 2. Claude Giroux (22nd overall, Philadelphia Flyers)- Call it biased if you want, but Giroux is my 2nd choice for top 3 overall. His breakout came during the 2010 playoffs, where he helped the Flyers make a run to the Stanley Cup finals with 21 points in 23 games. Since then, he has been the Flyers best player and an elite playmaker in the league. He has been the Flyers #1 center and face of the franchise since Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were traded in 2011. 3. Niklas Backstrom (4th overall, Washington Capitals)- My 3rd choice is Niklas Backstrom. Backstrom is one of the top centers in the league alongside the other two players listed above. Him and Ovechkin have been one of the best duos in the league for years, and while he doesn't get as much attention on the team due to Ovechkin, he is undoubtedly a great playmaker and a has likely played a role in Ovechkin's success. Top 3 steals- 1.Brad Marchand (71st overall, Boston Bruins)- Marchand goes 1st on my top 3 steals list. He has been a nice fit with the Bruins gritty style of play, and he puts up good offensive numbers as well. He helped the Bruins win a Stanley Cup in 2011. 2. Milan Lucic (50th overall, Boston Bruins)- Lucic is my 2nd choice for top 3 draft steals. Lucic is likely one of the top power forwards in the league, and like Marchand, fits the Bruins style of play. He also helped the Bruins win a Stanley Cup in 2011. 3. James Reimer (99th overall, Toronto Maple Leafs)- My 3rd best steal of this draft year is James Reimer. While Reimer has never been able to grab the starting role for very long in his career for the Leafs, he has proven to be a solid goalie and helped bring the Leafs to the playoffs for the first time since 2004. Top 3 busts- 1. Erik Johnson (1st overall, St. Louis Blues)- My top bust for the 2006 is the 1st pick of the draft, Erik Johnson. For players that are chosen 1st overall, there is a lot of expectation to be great and to be a key building block of a franchise, but Johnson never turned into that player. While his career isn't disastrous, it certainly isn't near the expectations that come with being the 1st pick in a draft. To make matters worse, the other top 5 picks in 2006 (Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews, Niklas Backstrom, and Phil Kessel) went on to have successful careers. 2. James Shepperd (9th overall, Minnesota Wild)- Shepperd is my 2nd choice for biggest bust. He spent three seasons with the Wild before being traded to the Sharks for a 3rd round pick. He then played in the AHL for two seasons with the Worcester Sharks. His career high in points is 24 and career high in goals is 5. He only has 16 goals and 73 points in 333 games. 3. Peter Mueller (8th overall, Phoenix Coyotes)- My 3rd choice for biggest bust is Peter Mueller. Mueller's career was unfortunate, as his skill wasn't the problem for him, it was the injuries. After a successful rookie season, putting up 54 points in 81 games, his production started to fall off the next season. Due to a variety of injuries, he only played 5 seasons in the NHL before going to play in Europe in 2013.
ebenton95
#153559790Friday, January 09, 2015 4:28 AM GMT

bump I'll do the 2007 draft tomorrow.
Obbert
#153559935Friday, January 09, 2015 4:31 AM GMT

1. Erik Johnson (1st overall, St. Louis Blues) dont remind me
ebenton95
#153560031Friday, January 09, 2015 4:33 AM GMT

The Avs fked up more on that by trading Shattenkirk to the Blues for him even after he started looking like a bust.
CheeseyMacral
#153560278Friday, January 09, 2015 4:38 AM GMT

EJ BABY! i got his jersey (: yeah he sucks ass though lol Iᴛ ᴀɪɴᴛ ᴇᴀsʏ, ʙᴇɪɴɢ Cʜᴇᴇsᴇʏ.
heatpokemon2
#153560595Friday, January 09, 2015 4:44 AM GMT

for a first overall pick he really busted, kinda like yakupov
ebenton95
#153602204Saturday, January 10, 2015 12:22 AM GMT

2007 Draft: Top 3 Overall- 1. Patrick Kane (1st overall, Chicago Blackhawks)- My top player from the 2007 draft goes to Patrick Kane. Kane is highly talented and one of the league's most exciting players to watch. He has won two Stanley Cups, one in 2010 in which he scored the Cup-clinching goal, and in 2013 where he won the Conn Smythe Trophy. In addition, he was the 2008 Rookie Of The Year. 2. P.K. Subban (43rd overall, Montreal Canadiens)- My 2nd choice is P.K. Subban. Subban has been Montreal's top defenseman and one of the league's elite defenseman for the past few seasons. He helped Canada win gold in the 2014 Olympics, and he won the James Norris Trophy for league's best defenseman in 2013. 3. Jamie Benn (129th overall, Dallas Stars)- My 3rd best player from this draft is Jamie Benn. The Stars captain has been one of their best forwards since joining the team in the 09-10 season. Benn, along with Tyler Seguin, have become one of the most feared duos in the league today. He also helped Canada win gold at the 2014 Olympics. Top 3 steals- 1. Jamie Benn (129th overall, Dallas Stars)- My choice for biggest steal of the 2007 draft is Jamie Benn. In addition to what was listed above, the fact that he was a 5th round pick makes him look even more impressive and this selection by the Stars better as well. 2. P.K. Subban (43rd overall, Montreal Canadiens)- My second choice is PK Subban. My reason for putting Subban over Benn in the overall but below him here is because Subban was a 2nd rounder while Benn was a 5th rounder. 3. Wayne Simmonds (61st overall, LA Kings)- 3rd choice for biggest steal is Simmonds. Since making the Kings roster in the 08-09 season, Simmonds has established himself as one of the league's better power forwards. His ability to get in front of the net and put in rebounds in front have made him a great player. Top 3 busts- 1. Zach Hamill (8th overall, Boston Bruins)- My choice for biggest bust is Hamill. Despite leading the WHL in points in his draft year, Hamill never panned out for the Bruins. He made very limited appearances in the NHL and spent most of his career in the AHL before going to the KHL in the 13-14 season. 2. Alex Plante (15th overall, Edmonton Oilers)- Alex Plante is my 2nd choice for biggest bust. Plante never made much of an impact on the Oilers roster in his career. He only appeared in 10 NHL games and put up 2 assists in those games. After the 12-13 season, he signed a contract to play in Europe. 3. Keaton Ellerby (10th overall, Florida Panthers)- Ellerby is my 3rd choice for biggest bust. Despite being a top-10 pick, Ellerby never panned out for the Panthers. He was traded to the Kings in 2013 for a 5th-round pick, and in the 2013-14 season, he was claimed off waivers by the Winnipeg Jets. I'll do the 2008 draft later on tonight.
ebenton95
#153628813Saturday, January 10, 2015 7:07 AM GMT

2008 draft: Top 3 overall- 1. Steven Stamkos (1st overall, Tampa Bay Lightning)- Stamkos is my choice for the best player of the draft. Stamkos is one of the best, if not the best, goal scorers in the league today which is shown by his two Maurice Richard trophies in 2010 and 2012. He has one 40-goal, 50-goal, and 60-goal seasons in his young career and if not for a leg injury in the 2013-14 season that sidelined him most of the season, he could have an addition 50-goal season and a third Maurice Richard. 2. Drew Doughty (2nd overall, LA Kings)- I'm going to go with Doughty for my 2nd best player. Doughty is the Kings #1 defenseman and really is excellent in many areas of the game both offensively and defensively. In addition to the two Olympic gold medals he won in 2010 and 2014 for Canada, he has won two Stanley Cups with the Kings in 2012 and 2014. 3. Erik Karlsson (15th overall, Ottawa Senators)- My 3rd best player in the 2008 draft is Erik Karlsson. Karlsson is one of the league's best offensive-defenseman which became evident when he put up 78 points in 81 games in the 2011-12 season to help lead him to a Norris Trophy win. In the 2014 Olympics, he helped Sweden get a silver medal and was named the top defenseman of the tournament. Top 3 steals- 1. Braden Holtby (93rd overall, Washington Capitals)- My top steal goes to Holtby. The current starter of the Capitals, he had his breakout in the 2012 playoffs against the defending champion Bruins, where he played a huge role in the Caps defeating them in the first round. While after that he had some inconsistency, he has now become a very solid NHL starter. 2. Adam Henrique (82nd overall, New Jersey Devils)- Henrique is my choice for 2nd best steal of this draft. His rookie year was a big success for him, finishing the season as a calder trophy finalist. Since then, he has become one of the Devils best young forwards. He also helped the Devils reach the Stanley Cup finals in 2012. 3. Gustav Nyquist (121st overall, Detroit Red Wings)- My 3rd best steal is Gustav Nyquist. Not surprisingly, the Red Wings found another gem in Nyquist. While it has taken him some time to get a full-time spot on the Red Wings roster, now that he has he is one of the Red Wings top forwards. He also helped Sweden get a silver medal in the 2014 Olympics. Top 3 busts- 1. Nikita Filatov (6th overall, Columbus Blue Jackets)- My choice for biggest bust of this draft is Filatov. Considered by some as one of the biggest draft busts in recent NHL history, there was high hopes that Filatov could become a talented NHL player. However, he never developed as planned and by the 2011-12 season he left the NHL for the KHL. He only played 53 games and scoring 14 points in his NHL career. 2. Kyle Beach (11th overall, Chicago Blackhawks)- The 2nd biggest bust of this draft is Kyle Beach. Beach was considered to be a top-5 pick coming into the 2008 draft. However, his on-ice reputation and discipline issues in the juniors caused him to drop to the 11th pick. He spent his entire career in the AHL before going to Europe in 2014. 3. Colten Teubert (13th overall, LA Kings)- My pick for 3rd biggest bust goes to Colten Teubert. Despite being drafted by the Kings, he never was able to make the lineup for the team before being traded to the Oilers in 2011. He only played 24 NHL games, getting 1 assist during that time. By 2013 he left the NHL to play in Europe. Doing the 2009 draft tomorrow. Any opinions on any of the draft overviews that I've done so far? Agree? Disagree?
heatpokemon2
#153629595Saturday, January 10, 2015 7:27 AM GMT

For Henrique he also has been to 2 AHL finals I believe, I know atleast 1
ebenton95
#153726458Sunday, January 11, 2015 5:00 PM GMT

bump gunna start 09 draft now !!!!!1!!!
ebenton95
#153747776Sunday, January 11, 2015 9:39 PM GMT

2009 draft: Top 3 overall- 1. John Tavares (1st overall, New York Islanders)- John Tavares is my choice for the best player in the 2009 draft. John Tavares is the current captain and face of the New York Islanders franchise. He was a finalist for the 2013 Hart trophy and was apart of Canada's roster when they won gold at the 2014 Olympics. 2. Matt Duchene (3rd overall, Colorado Avalanche)- Matt Duchene is the #1 center of the Colorado Avalanche and most likely their best player. He has shown consistently throughout his NHL career so far that he can be a big offensive player. Like Tavares, he was a part of team Canada when they won gold at the 2014 Olympics. 3. Victor Hedman (2nd overall, Tampa Bay Lightning)- Hedman has recently begun to show that he is an elite defenseman. Most of the beginning part of his NHL career was good, but not great. However, if he keeps going as good as he is, he could jump ahead of Duchene on this list. He has become the key piece on the Lightning's blue line. Top 3 steals- 1. Darcy Kuemper (161st overall, Minnesota Wild)- While Kuemper has been shaky so far this season, I still believe that with more time he can be the Wild's #1 goalie. In the 2013-14 season he came in to help the Wild who were dealing with trouble in net and played very well during that span. 2. Ryan O'Reilly (33rd overall, Colorado Avalanche)- Ryan O'Reilly has become a great two-way forward in the league and is one of the Avalanche's best players. Another positive to his game is that he rarely takes penalties, which became evident when he won the 2014 Lady Byng trophy. 3. Tyson Barrie (64th overall, Colorado Avalanche)- Another Avalanche pick, Barrie has recently become a solid defenseman for the Avs. While he may not be a great or elite defenseman, he could still be a big part of the Avalanche's defense core for the future. Top 3 busts- 1. Scott Glennie (8th overall, Dallas Stars)- Scott Glennie has accomplished very little at the pro level since being drafted. He has only appeared in one NHL game in his career, and has no points. His stats in the AHL are also poor for somebody who was a top 10 pick. At this point, the future isn't very bright for Glennie. 2. Magnus Paajarvi (10th overall, Edmonton Oilers)- Paajarvi had a good rookie year for the Oilers with 34 points in 80 games, but his 2nd year saw him only put up 8 points in 41 games and spending time in the AHL. In 2013, he was traded to the Blues. Besides his rookie year, he hasn't had more than 16 points or over 10 goals in a single season. 3. Peter Holland (15th overall, Anaheim Ducks)- Peter Holland hasn't done much at the NHL level in his career yet. In 106 career games, he has had 33 points.
heatpokemon2
#153756402Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:24 PM GMT

I think Hedman deserves more credit, him and St. Louis really led the team last year while Stammer was gone. He also had 55 points in 75 games, and he didn't have any points through the first 8 games of the season. He also had 20 points in 25 games this season. In the lockout shortened season he had 20 points in 44 games (on pace for just under 40 points which would have been a career high for him at that point) AND he also was a +1 on team that finished 28th in the NHL, and was 25th for GA
ebenton95
#153756711Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:28 PM GMT

My decisions on players is usually a balance of how good have they been throughout their career as a whole so far and how they are currently. Hedman is doing much better now, but if you look at the seasons prior to last season it wasn't as good. If this was a few years later and Hedman kept playing as he is now, he probably would be 2nd with Duchene at 3rd.
AnxiousPants
#153756859Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:30 PM GMT

1995 draft
ebenton95
#153757239Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:35 PM GMT

I'll jump around and do other drafts once I finish the 2012 draft.
heatpokemon2
#153757270Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:35 PM GMT

1992 draft
nomerdude
#153757533Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:38 PM GMT

2001 FAM
ebenton95
#153779116Monday, January 12, 2015 4:07 AM GMT

2010 draft: Top 3 overall- 1. Tyler Seguin (2nd overall, Boston Bruins)- Tyler Seguin was fortunate enough to be selected 2nd overall to the Bruins, who went on that following season to win a Stanley Cup. While he was a good player for the Bruins, it wasn't until he was traded to the Dallas Stars in 2013 that he became an elite player. Alongside Jamie Benn, the two became an extremely dangerous duo. 2. Taylor Hall (1st overall, Edmonton Oilers)- Taylor Hall was the first of three straight 1st overall picks by the Oilers, and most likely the best of them. For the past two seasons he has been the Oilers leader in points and in both those seasons was a point-per-game player. 3. Ryan Johansen (4th overall, Columbus Blue Jackets)- Johansen has only recently broken out as a star in this league, but now he is leading the Blue Jackets as their #1 center. He is a very talented playmaker. If the Blue Jackets did not trade off Rick Nash, these two could have potentially formed a very good duo together. Top 3 steals- 1. Justin Faulk (37th overall, Carolina Hurricanes)- Faulk is one of the Hurricanes best, if not best, defenseman currently. He was a part of the 2014 Olympics for team USA and recently was named to the 2015 All-Star game. 2. Brendan Gallagher (147th overall, Montreal Canadiens)- Despite his small size (5 ft. 9 in.), Gallagher has been successful at the NHL level. He has become one of the Canadiens top forwards. He was a finalist for the 2013 Rookie of the Year, finishing second in voting. 3. Petr Mrazek (141st overall, Detroit Red Wings)- Mrazek seems to be yet another late round gem by the Red Wings. While he's not an NHL starter (yet), he has the skills to become one. He became well known after a stellar effort for the Czech Republic in the 2012 World Junior Championship, which included a 52-save game for him in a 5-2 win over team USA. Top 2 busts- 1. Alexander Burmistrov (8th overall, Atlanta Thrashers)- Burmistrov was the last first round pick of the Thrashers before moving to Winnipeg to become the Jets, and it was a forgettable pick. By 2013, after being dissatisfied with his role with the Jets following the 2012-13 season, he signed a deal to play in the KHL. 2. Joey Hishon (17th overall, Colorado Avalanche)- Hishon was seen by many as a surprise choice at 17th overall after being ranked 55th overall by NHL's Central Scouting. The risk of taking him doesn't seem to have payed off either. Hishon has been plagued by injuries his career and doesn't seem to be close to making the Avalanche roster full time. Didn't really have enough high draft picks that looked like sure-fire busts to have a top 3 busts list. If I can't find any players to call busts in the 2011 or 2012 drafts I'll likely just skip it on those ones.

of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right