of     1   

warspyking
#153512142Thursday, January 08, 2015 2:02 PM GMT

Yes, we need more power, us scripters, really greedy. Anyway, you've given us little control over the CoreGui, I mean sure we can remove specific aspects and bring them back, but what does that mean? Little control. In a LocalScript the main thing we can do game:GetService("StarterGui"):SetCoreGuiEnabled("PlayerList", false) --There's also the Health, Backpack, Chat, and All, but that's it! We cannot add or modify things like that. Only can we add stuff to CoreGui is when we're in studio, only to make it active, after which it doesn't show in online! Wow, you've given us so much huh? But what if we wanted to change our the chat or leaderboard looked. Okay, let's go through the trouble of disabling and creating stuff from scratch... Alright so first we make a gui... then we do that... BUT WAIT! There's a better way! I propose a new way for CoreGui to work. The idea is that all the above guis can be put into game:GetService("CoreGui") and that CoreGui (I think it already is) would be local to each client. SetCoreGuiEnabled and GetCoreGuiEnabled would be added into CoreGui and not StarterGui in this new update (but would stay deprecated in StarterGui as to not break anything) Then the client (LocalScripts) would be able to add/take away from CoreGui, or modify the guis inside CoreGui. This would give scripters A LOT more power over what CoreGui stuff happens in their game, and will make a custom leaderboard or a custom chat which still takes input with the chat bar, so much easier. Support if you agree, no support if you do not. Lemme start us off support:no_support 1:0
DataStore
#153518008Thursday, January 08, 2015 5:29 PM GMT

No support. Whilst I'd love to support it, allowing users to add/take away from CoreGuis is just a path to destruction and hassle. You may modify parts of the GUI but how exactly are you hoping to make them do anything? Like, if you added a button, etc? Seeing as you wouldn't have access to the scripts which controlled the main parts of the GUIs (due to them being CoreScripts). The system is fine as it is and if you're really lazy it's rather easy to just copy the ROBLOX CoreScript for the respective GUI and use it from a normal script. My only qualm with SetCoreGuiEnabled is the fact that the chat bar and chat "window" is disabled together; they should be separated. But that's as far as modifications should go, in my opinion.
warspyking
#153541276Friday, January 09, 2015 12:14 AM GMT

@DataStore, refresh my memory, how do you get CoreScripts again?
warspyking
#153541620Friday, January 09, 2015 12:18 AM GMT

I do not believe it would lead to a path of destruction, I believe that it will lead down to better things. Such as making the leaderboard more beautiful for your game, or getting rid of the chat part of chat and not the bar itself. If it requires giving us access to the scripts it use, why not?
DataStore
#153543251Friday, January 09, 2015 12:39 AM GMT

@Warspy, There's a Github repository which holds them all. If you Google around you'll find them. If you want a more "beautiful" leaderboard, make it yourself. The same goes for all other elements of the CoreGui. Allowing users to edit the CoreGui would just be a lot more hassle and time consuming than if you were to just make it yourself from scratch. What's bad about giving us access to the scripts it uses? CoreScripts run at a higher "security level". This enables them to use a variety of locked members of instances/services which normal scripts cannot, if memory serves. The majority of the ROBLOX community really can't be trusted to change something without breaking it.
warspyking
#153550910Friday, January 09, 2015 2:19 AM GMT

@DataStore Their scripts could be transfered over to normal stuff such as Scripts and LocalScripts, I doubt their CoreGui elements need that, since we CAN (with work) replicate it, obviously higher security level isn't needed.
DataStore
#153561368Friday, January 09, 2015 5:01 AM GMT

@War, You do need to change a few things if you want the script to work from a normal script. I'd also like to point out that the CoreGui is RobloxLocked (again if memory serves), meaning that the higher "security" level is indeed needed so that the scripts can modify the GUI (when players are added, etc).
AhhFlower
#153562608Friday, January 09, 2015 5:26 AM GMT

Scriptable....
Filipalla
#200007524Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:18 PM GMT

We Should Be Able To Change And Add Everything Without Menu Button Maybe Set A Decal On It r Something idk

of     1