of     1   

DeshaunRayban
#166161276Wednesday, July 01, 2015 9:49 AM GMT

  to start off‡  ‡ I hate all the deep southern hockey teams to start out with, they are complete jokes to me. These are markets where was already a borderline foreign langue to these people and they are competing with other factors they really they'll never compete with.‡ That being said, with the people saying that the NY POST article is complete trash just cause the NHL says it, Their obviously lying. The best example of this when David stern, try to give the appearance that he wanted the supersonics to stay in Seattle, He really didn't he was playing all his bases and keeping him self out of hot water with Seattle fans so when it did happen their wasn't a lawsuit over his head (and there a hole documentary about this and how this deal went down. it was shady and clearly illegal but they got away with it.) I promise you the NHL commissioners/Team owners are doing the same exact thing, regardless of how trash the fan base is they have to play it safe. the coyotes are clearly not bringing in enough money to be a solid investment to these multi-millionaires who buy these team to guess what MAKE MORE MONEY. That is the later goal as a owner nothing else matters, but if you win kudos. The Coyotes are in a big market with no dedicated support (enough to keep them there) when their are other cities that would definitely work for team. From a clearly business standpoint the coyotes will more then likely be out of Arizona in the next five years. If not it's should just drop out the league, but who ever thinks NHL is really telling the truth they aren't specifically if you look at the surrounding evidence of this team. League trouble with the city 27th in value as a NHL team ranked by Forbes Ranked the worst fan base by Forbes and bleacher report Ranked 27th in attendance according to espn One of the worst TV Markets according to sports business. I'm not good with numbers or have a business degree but I can do 10 minutes of basic internet researcher like the best of them, but I'm pretty sure if you want to be a sustainable team you can't be at the bottom of all the list (and not on a constant basis either.) specially when your not making money, if your making money that be whole number story but knowing the hockey is the lower end of the totem pole when it comes to sports it's clearly obvious their not raking in anything. I'm a catch the queen of England slipping she gonna run me the jewels - Killer Mike
Swagudelo
#166161338Wednesday, July 01, 2015 9:51 AM GMT

Did you just say Arizona was the Deep South? Off you go to geography class
DeshaunRayban
#166161503Wednesday, July 01, 2015 9:56 AM GMT

relative to hockey teams it's deep south, and regradless or not it's deep south relative to the United States and NHL, sure it's not the put in the same line when your thinking Texas/alabama/Etc,cause deep south is relative just like slang is. I'm a catch the queen of England slipping she gonna run me the jewels - Killer Mike
Swagudelo
#166161835Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:08 AM GMT

...it's called the West. In all terms. And by the way, you realize having teams cluttered in one area of the country, and leaving out half of the country as a potential market is bad economics, right? The NHL is the only league that hasn't (and isn't able to) establish a footprint in every region of the country. The problem is obviously not with half of the country, it is with hockey since I'm pretty sure the Nashville Predators and Tampa Bay Lightning are doing just fine.
TheHarlequinsDemise
#166162358Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:26 AM GMT

"The problem is obviously not with half of the country, it is with hockey since I'm pretty sure the Nashville Predators and Tampa Bay Lightning are doing just fine." nashville is a fully fledged nhl market now and tbl have been fairly successful too. however, the problem with arizona and other teams (florida) is that there's literally no fanbase whatsoever and that it's not going to change so why keep those particular teams there? not all southern teams have failed. most have been successful and if there's a market for it in a place down south, it should be considered strongly. it's just that arizona, florida and atlanta all failed horribly and should be/deserved to be relocated.
DeshaunRayban
#166162473Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:30 AM GMT

2 Things The old addage winning solves everything is usally true And if you own land you can maintain wealth In the case of Nashville it's really the only reason they are still there, they make more money leasing the stadium out for concerts then they are just being there, which is just a smart business move overall, cause no matter how bad they do they can make enough money to not be a bad investment to any person who decides to own them. Same thing seems to apply with Dallas as well, but in a different manner, the market is huge and they seem to have some type of deal that constantly making massive amount of income by pretty much non-hockey relate means. Tampa Bay who pretty much been a roller coaster of success and just falling on their faces, has just done enough to skate by (pun intended), because they don't own the stadium the county that Tampa bay is set in does and Tampa did have a streak of consecutive years where their operating income was in the red. so really they just had great management and coaching to get to a possibly of being sustainable, but Tampa bay as franchise isn't far from being the panthers or the coyotes, if they go on a long cold streak they'd be in the same boat. Which again is the reason i hate these teams. They are unsustainable unless they win early. Dallas and Nashville are really the only two who can last out of the 90's southern expansion teams (excluding the California region cause it's just such a weird climate for sports.) because they made great business decisions that can keep them sustainable but it's not because they are great franchises who are gonna make the playoffs in out every season, it's cause they've virtually created subsidies out of the assets they had when they aren't using them during the season. I'm a catch the queen of England slipping she gonna run me the jewels - Killer Mike
Swagudelo
#166162562Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:33 AM GMT

"not all southern teams have failed. most have been successful and if there's a market for it in a place down south, it should be considered strongly. it's just that arizona, florida and atlanta all failed horribly and should be/deserved to be relocated." obviously i was just responding to the dumbest statement i have heard in years "I hate all the deep southern hockey teams to start out with, they are complete jokes to me. These are markets where was already a borderline foreign langue to these people and they are competing with other factors they really they'll never compete with.‡"
TheHarlequinsDemise
#166162628Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:35 AM GMT

"obviously" ok sorrt "i was just responding to the dumbest statement i have heard in years" ok you missed what he just posted in response to what i said so this statement is false.
DeshaunRayban
#166162761Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:39 AM GMT

Most of those southern teams only exist because they make a decent amount of money from non-hockey ventures. if they weren't getting a cut of the money AFTER hockey was over. I can promise you those 90's expansion teams would have been gone by the early 2000's there is no real money is hockey alone to support these teams. They are supported by the people who show up to the (insert famous musicians) concert that just so happens to be in a place where hockey is played. look at the forbes numbers, and the worst valued teams are all in the same boat. I'm a catch the queen of England slipping she gonna run me the jewels - Killer Mike
Swagudelo
#166162914Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:45 AM GMT

We/ll r/un and wi/n/ning tea/ms at/tr/act a l/ot of s/upp/ort P/oo/rly ran/losi/ng tea/ms do/n't I/t's no/t ex/cl/us/ive to the So/ut/h or ho/ck/ey Ch/ic/ago av/er/aged 1/3,0/00 fa/ns le/ss tha/n a de/ca/de a/g/o Peo/ple do/n't pa/y for an inf/er/ior pro/du/ct
DeshaunRayban
#166163099Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:52 AM GMT

but my point is you can be the cubs or the whitesox have a crap team you can still make money at the end of the year off team (merchandising/tv contracts.) Southern Hockey teams can't lose and make money off the team it's self, from a business standpoint I'd just tell someone to buy a stadium and rent the space out for concerts and junk instead of buying a hockey team and cut a deal with a local basketball team instead, just cut the fat and keep it moving. Southern hockey teams are bad investments point blank period, Unless you pick the best set of coaches money can buy that can produce talent quick, it's a waste of money and time. I'm a catch the queen of England slipping she gonna run me the jewels - Killer Mike
TheHarlequinsDemise
#166163201Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:56 AM GMT

"Southern Hockey teams can't lose and make money off the team it's self, from a business standpoint I'd just tell someone to buy a stadium and rent the space out for concerts and junk instead of buying a hockey team and cut a deal with a local basketball team instead, just cut the fat and keep it moving. Southern hockey teams are bad investments point blank period, Unless you pick the best set of coaches money can buy that can produce talent quick, it's a waste of money and time." the stupidity keeps getting bigger in this thread.
Swagudelo
#166163374Wednesday, July 01, 2015 11:03 AM GMT

Wow you are one dumb individual
DeshaunRayban
#166215188Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:13 PM GMT

the stupidity keeps getting bigger in this thread. ====================================================== so tell me, off of simple research, do you really think a hockey team can sustian it's self in a place like New Orleans or Houston, and after 10 or so seasons stay in black ink if they end up around dead last every season, and don't own the rights to the stadium? please tell me great economist how that would work out for you, cause I'm pretty sure anyone who can do some basic logical thinking could figure out that. SOUTHERN HOCKEY TEAMS DO NOT THRIVE CAUSE THEY ARE GOOD, ON MOST OCCASIONS THEY ARENT. THE ONLY REASON THEY MANAGE TO STAY IN THE RESPECTIVE CITY IS CAUSE THEY MAKE MONEY BY THE STADIUMS THEY OWN HOSTING OTHER EVENTS. I'm a catch the queen of England slipping she gonna run me the jewels - Killer Mike
TheWdonald61
#166215316Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:14 PM GMT

Arizona needs a good playoff run, they almost won cup in 2012, they'll be fine though "If you don't have anything nice to say, whisper it in my ear so we can laugh about it together"
DeshaunRayban
#166215506Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:16 PM GMT

They'll be fine? in arizona. stop kidding your self, it's going to take more then one playoff run for them to even stay in Arizona they'll need a freaking back to back stanely cup run, which is highly unlikely so they should just cut their loses move out to Las Vegas it's defiantly where the money is at. I'm a catch the queen of England slipping she gonna run me the jewels - Killer Mike
nomerdude
#166215648Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:18 PM GMT

florida is not doing horrible
TheWdonald61
#166215848Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:20 PM GMT

Well..yeah, the only reason Arizona doesn't have any fans come to games because...well..they're terrible, when they had the playoff run in 2012, it was a whiteout. If you're eager about a relocation, move them to Seattle. "If you don't have anything nice to say, whisper it in my ear so we can laugh about it together"
TheInfamousCatwoman
#166216978Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:33 PM GMT

Tampa Bay is not "fine", at least not yet. Jeff Vinik has really cut down on the profit loss and the Lightning are about to break even for the first time in a very long time. However for a team in a non-traditional hockey market, Tampa Bay is doing great. I don't understand why your saying Southern teams have to win or else they begin to fail, have you looked at the Chicago Blackhawks? In 2007-2008 they were ranked 19th in attendance, in there 2008-2009 playoff run season they jumped to 1st in the league. In 2013 Chicago was $10 million to $20 million in the red. In 2011 I think it was like 17 of the 30 teams in the league were making profits.
The305Hurricane
#166223702Wednesday, July 01, 2015 11:48 PM GMT

Well I mean, considering there's almost a guarantee that there will be an expansion team to Vegas. "305, you hit so many dingers" -mom
The305Hurricane
#166223773Wednesday, July 01, 2015 11:49 PM GMT

^ instead of arizona packing bags and moving here "305, you hit so many dingers" -mom

of     1