of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

Vriska
#179331474Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:39 PM GMT

dont make a stupid name. when trying to greek up your character's name, don't just ad "os" to a name that already exists. dont make your characters name sound like random japanese garbage. dont make your grimdark emo anime oc's name ichigo. it means strawberry in japanese. you might think youre good at roleplaying. screenshot your current work and then look at it in a few months or years, you'll cringe. in terms of character appearences. make the appearance anywhere from 100-400 words. any shorter and there's not enough detail. any longer and nobody is going to read it. i remember this one girl made her appearances several thousand words long, nobody read her appearances. realize that everyone in the roleplay is geared towards their own character and that joining or even creating an rp will not mean everyone will conform to your needs. add more tips :)
Articshockwolf
#179331677Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:44 PM GMT

op is always right
Cubbyholes
#179331773Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:46 PM GMT

It always annoy me when people try to do that "greeking up" because it's really common in RPs and stories in a fantastical setting. Fantasizing names isn't just adding old-sounding stuff like '-os' or '-ian' or futuristic-sounding stuff with overused z's, y's and x's
Vriska
#179331876Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:47 PM GMT

when creating a roleplay, make sure you keep in mind any materials that will be available to the characters. for example i was in a sci fi rp that involved gene splicing foreign dna to creating genetically altered kidss that could do animal stuff. the kids in this roleplay for some reason had access to heavy artillery, laser technology, explosives, etc. the roleplay did not follow any logical order and ultimitely nothing was accomplished. nobody even used their animal powers. like at all. it was just furries: the rp. if you have different species or monsters or classifications of beings, clearly define what the being is capable of. for example everyone has their own different vampire lore, so you have to make sure that everyone is up to date on YOUR OWN vampire lore. control the players of your roleplay. if you see someone do something to another character that you would complain ooc about. halt the rp and state why the thing should not have happened. you don't need to argue as your word is law.
Articshockwolf
#179331932Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:49 PM GMT

wow you work fast
Vriska
#179331975Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:49 PM GMT

"wow you work fast" im used to high intensity speed roleplaying thanks homestuck
Cubbyholes
#179332078Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:52 PM GMT

One tip I can think of, for names, is to have a firm concept of what you want the character to be like first. Try and condense their traits into one word/trait, then just google "names that mean ____." It's a pretty easy tactic and I could see it as cheap, but I hate making names and love symbolism so I use it all the time, nameberry is a site I use in particular.
hotw223
#179332364Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:58 PM GMT

Or the fact you have to make a 50,000 word backstory to even get someone to look at the thread Only thing i dont understand about rpf
Vriska
#179332436Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:59 PM GMT

"Or the fact you have to make a 50,000 word backstory to even get someone to look at the thread" ikr to be honest i dont even read them i dont join ones with short intros either i just look to see how long it is and then look for the important info if it looks cool
Cubbyholes
#179332459Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:59 PM GMT

>Or the fact you have to make a 50,000 word backstory to even get someone to look at the thread Backstory and lore are great things, and excess amounts are necessary if you're making a fantasy world. Personally I like keeping my plots brief to reveal all the lore/true intentions/etc. as the story progresses.
marc12267
#179332546Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:01 AM GMT

effort matters "What'cha gonna do, when Egomania runs wild, on you, brother?!"
Vriska
#179332850Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:07 AM GMT

OOH OOH ALSO FOR CHARACTER CREATION don't just make it a self insert or just literally an emotionless blob actually give them a personally for types of personality on the get go you can look up MBTI types for an easy what mbti is your character you can just ask how the following character is or makes decisions: (i) introvert or (e) extrovert (n) intuition or (s) sensing (t) thinking or (f) feeling (j)judgment or (p) perception and you can look on tvtropes to see basics of what it would mean for your character to be designated personality type for example i am INTJ. im an introvert. i rely on intuition rather than my senses. i prefer cold hard facts over my emotions, and i rely on judgment rather than my own perception of something. tvtropes describes INTJ as this: "INTJ Masterminds are better than any other type at brainstorming approaches to situations. Strong-willed and very self-assured, they make decisions quickly. But though they are decisive, they are flexible in their planning to accommodate changing situations. They tend to excel at judging the usefulness of ideas and will apply whatever seems most efficient to them in accomplishing their clearly envisioned goals. To Masterminds, what matters is getting it done—but also learning the principles of how to get it done efficiently and well, that is, at a professional level of quality. However, they may not give much thought to the social cost of getting there, focusing so tightly on their own pursuits that they can ignore the points of view and wishes of others."
Articshockwolf
#179332969Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:09 AM GMT

i am an INTJ
Vriska
#179333161Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:13 AM GMT

i forgot to include that these lists also provide examples of characters in fiction that are also that personality type!!! for more intj nonsense: glados (portal) walter white (breaking bad) light you-know-his-last-name (death note) ozymandias (watchmen) as you can see: these types of characters are all masterminds and almost exclusively evil chgaracters. however there are many good characters that fit into this as well. listed are: katniss everdeen (the hunger games) garnet (steven universe) rose lalonde (homestuck) it's good to see how your character may react to any situation by comparing it to what other characters of the same type may do
Articshockwolf
#179333271Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:15 AM GMT

for any power based rps i recommend the superpower wiki random category some powers are very op but most of the time you land on a fair and unique power http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Random
PickachuGirl
#179333272Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:15 AM GMT

thanks op
Cubbyholes
#179333752Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:23 AM GMT

Oooh, I'm saving some of these. I never realized this but taking a personality test as my characters would help out a lot. I just took the test a few days ago for a game, I'm an INFJ.
PickachuGirl
#179334178Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:31 AM GMT

isfp
PickachuGirl
#179334949Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:44 AM GMT

also im a p awful rper (dont tell me otherwise i will refuse to believe) but for character ideas a great resource is to have a giant dart board, tape a piece of paper up, either with the list of hair colors, eye colors, nose type, eye type, random personality traits basically, blindfold yourself, and throw the darts on there. where the dart lands, you put the trait down, and replace the paper, and repeat. this is good because everything is guaranteed now and Original. i dont know how useful this is, but this is my method. also try thinking of the perspectives through the characters and not yourself when you're writing, take notes when you're writing. or rather, just spam words and words until you reach a thousand, and cut and edit parts until it makes some coherent sense. post. even if it doesnt, post it.
PickachuGirl
#179335227Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:48 AM GMT

be mediocrely okay at drawing and draw for other rps and be known as a well known great rper despite not doing much of anything at all
Cubbyholes
#179335245Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:49 AM GMT

>have a giant dart board, tape a piece of paper up, either with the list of hair colors, eye colors, nose type, eye type, random personality traits basically, blindfold yourself, and throw the darts on there. where the dart lands, you put the trait down, and replace the paper, and repeat. What the hell I hope you don't actually do this pick. Unless you're doing cringy animumu RPs where characters can have yellow eyes and rainbow coloured hair naturally, it's really easy to remember those kinds of things. Only a handful of natural hair colours, only a handful of natural eye colours, eye shapes, nose shapes, and head shapes. It's easy to remember and just mix it up in your mind. I can justify the traits though, but for that I just go to a list I have bookmarked.
PickachuGirl
#179335308Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:50 AM GMT

i was mainly joking
Cubbyholes
#179335589Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:53 AM GMT

Honestly I couldn't tell, between how desperate people can be for original characters and how stupid this forum is all the time I'll believe anything
PickachuGirl
#179335729Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:55 AM GMT

yeah I can get it people take all the silly jokes I make seriously all the time was gonna try and put something serious but eh
OTNewsFAQ
#179338396Wednesday, December 09, 2015 1:33 AM GMT

taking notes more pl0x theres no antidote|phdora alt|banned for 1 day pls rblx

of     2   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right