of     1   

Timepockie
#187178746Monday, April 11, 2016 2:55 PM GMT

A short while ago I posted an ISRP called Lesser Heir, a medieval fantasy ISRP in which you take the role of a guy who was cheated out of his inheritance, and that got me thinking along a train of thought that eventually became about combat systems. I have three ideas for combat systems that I'll use for it and various other RPs as time goes on, but I'm also inclined to see how you do combat in RPs. First is what I'll call the diceless system. This is what I've been doing in most of my RPs for years; essentially, I determine hits and misses and everything else based solely on what I think would benefit the plot. It's rather self-explanatory, and I think that it's what most of you use, so if you use it just say that you ordinarily use the diceless system for simplicity. The advantages of this are that it prevents someone from just getting really lucky and killing everyone instantly, but the disadvantages are that I, or whoever the host of the RP is, can be extraordinarily biased in this. Before I go into my second and third methods, I'd like to quickly point out that about a year ago I purchased a novelty dice set. It doesn't include d20s or other D&D dice, I mean that it's really a novelty set that no major system uses and that includes some deformed versions of common dice, a d24 and a d60. I got it from the Museum of Mathematics in New York, although you can also get the dice online from thedicelab.com or something like that. Now, my second system is what I'll call the d24 system. Essentially it's a modified form of the system that Pirate's using for me on the Underworld custom ISRP thread and as such all credit for the inspiration goes to him. What it is is I group the possible outcomes of the diceroll in a way such that 1-6 is a miss with a counterattack, 7-12 is just a normal miss but defensible, 13-18 is a hit but not a kill (say, a third of the way to a kill) and 19-24 is an instakill. That's what I'll call the base values. Then, from there, I'll adjust those numbers for various opponents - for instance, a more skilled fighter may have a larger counterattack margin and a lower instakill margin, or a dragon might have no instakill at all. This system is good because it's versatile enough that I can alter things for the sake of the storyline and it removes some of the bias that comes with the diceless system, but it's possible to still produce biased results by adjusting the statistics and it makes combat more mathematics focussed. It also makes it some combination of turn-based and not turn-based, but I'm not sure how you like your combat so I'm not classifying that as an advantage or a disadvantage yet. Third and finally is what I'm calling the d60 system, and it's what I think I'll do for Lesser Heir and many of my RPs and ISRPs to come after it, depending on how well it works. What happens is that, before the fight, I assign everyone involved in the fight a health value. Most disposable footsoldiers that the protagonist is slaying left and right will have a value of 30 to 40, the PC will have a different value depending on various factors, and more well-trained enemies will have higher health values, possibly up to 100 or 120 or something. After that, for every singly slash of a sword, stab of a spear or shoot of an arrow I roll a d60, remove that much health from the total and make up the story part accordingly. For instance, a master swordfghter with a base health of 120 might sidestep 10 points of damage and just get slightly tired (making him easier to kill) whereas a common footsoldier with just 30 health taking 10 damage might lose a hand or take a nasty gash to the side or something along those lines. So, what do you guys think of the various combat systems that I've come up with? What interesting combat systems have you devised for your RPs over the years? Please, discuss the one OOC on all of RP that's relevant in great detail down below!
birmie123
#187179576Monday, April 11, 2016 3:27 PM GMT

idk oh! life could be a dream sweetheart
LNG257
#187180034Monday, April 11, 2016 3:42 PM GMT

The D24 system intrigues me. I've used versions of the other two in the past, but this concept is dynamic and looks like fun to use.
Timepockie
#187180337Monday, April 11, 2016 3:52 PM GMT

What was your experience with the d60 system, or the analogue of it that you used?
LNG257
#187183496Monday, April 11, 2016 5:29 PM GMT

I was gonna say Fractured, but then I went to the thread to confirm and found that no, I only rolled dice once or twice for that RP, but it's so beautiful that now I want to repost it.
Timepockie
#187205524Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:03 AM GMT

Bump.
Timepockie
#187232473Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:48 PM GMT

Bump. Also, does anyone else remember when all OOC that was either collabs or relevant stuff like this?
Timepockie
#187233103Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:13 PM GMT

Two minor adjustments to the d60 system that I just thought of. First, if it's your goal to incapacitate instead of kill, I'll consider ten points higher and ten points lower than the health as being the range that you need to get a total of to knock your opponent out and anything above that ten extra points being an accidental death, with anything lower than that ten being treated as normal. Second, instead of the player being able to die (it'd ruin the fun of the RP anyway lots of the time) the PC getting a score that would leave him dead would instead cause a friendly NPC to die and the PC to be knocked out and either left for dead or captured, where it would make sense for the plot.
pirate59392
#187233936Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:43 PM GMT

I would allow the NPC to be knocked out or captured as well. Maybe with a small margin for death. It would stink to lose a beloved Companion to a bad dice roll. Then again, such is life.
Timepockie
#187262880Wednesday, April 13, 2016 12:25 AM GMT

The d60 is only to be used for RPs where people can die all the bloody time. However, to be fair, I'll give everyone a 5-point margin for unconsciousness when it's the goal to kill.
Timepockie
#187474988Saturday, April 16, 2016 8:44 AM GMT

I've devised how healing with the d60 system will work. After 24 hours of no strenuous activity, 10 health will be healed. After 24 hours with some strenuous activity, 5 health will be healed. If there's a fight during the 24 hours, no health will be healed during that 24 hours. I've also come up with a system by which someone can become a "better fighter". After either a tough battle from which the character learns something or a lot of intense training, the character's maximum health will increase by 10. This can apply to PCs and NPCs.
Timepockie
#222299803Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:31 PM GMT

Bump. I quite like ################ ### system.
PurringThunder
#222355692Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:54 AM GMT

I quite dislike the ##### ## ########## filter ####

of     1