of     1   

drbat
#191124747Monday, June 13, 2016 9:49 PM GMT

No what football needs is a complete mindset change. Stop letting thugs have their way. The intent of players should not be to hurt the other player the most. Do you notice how rugby, a game with no pads, has hardly any concussion injuries. The main injury in rugby is spinal injuries during scrums which as far as I know the only way to prevent this is practicing your technique. Rugby is seen as a violent sport while football isn't see as violent (many people do see it as violent though). It is reversed however. In football most players want to put as big of a hit as they can on the other guy putting their body on the line. They dive and lean with their heads. In rugby you want to put a big hit but you also don't want to risk any injury to yourself. Diving to tackle (depends on how you're diving. If you're trying to get a player way ahead of you it is allowed but if the player is right next to you and you leave your feet it is a penalty) isn't allowed. You NEVER see rugby players tackle with their heads. They go low and take out the other players legs.
caseKeenum93
#191124809Monday, June 13, 2016 9:51 PM GMT

*insert daily drbat rugby rant here*
NhlCh33z3h
#191124873Monday, June 13, 2016 9:52 PM GMT

"You NEVER see rugby players tackle with their heads" They can be pretty stupid, but they're not THAT stupid
drbat
#191124949Monday, June 13, 2016 9:53 PM GMT

"*insert daily drbat rugby rant here*" I do this maybe once a month at most. "They can be pretty stupid, but they're not THAT stupid" Rugby players are really smart what are you on?
NhlCh33z3h
#191125117Monday, June 13, 2016 9:56 PM GMT

actually, I meant to say football players wouldn't do that, but after a bit of thinking I bet a dumbass football player without a helmet would go head to head with someone. Yes, Rugby players are probably some of the smartest people who play sports, along with multiple baseball pitchers, golfers, and tennis players.
TheWdonald61
#191125189Monday, June 13, 2016 9:57 PM GMT

No helmet in the world will stop your brain from rocking back and forth.
drbat
#191125285Monday, June 13, 2016 9:59 PM GMT

"No helmet in the world will stop your brain from rocking back and forth." Teaching players how to tackle correctly will lower the risk of concussions by at least 90%.
Ithesportsbomb
#191125305Monday, June 13, 2016 9:59 PM GMT

concussions have little to do with "thug mindset".
drbat
#191125423Monday, June 13, 2016 10:01 PM GMT

"actually, I meant to say football players wouldn't do that, but after a bit of thinking I bet a dumbass football player without a helmet would go head to head with someone." I actually did this my first rugby practice. It hurt so bad for me. I almost broke my neck.
NhlCh33z3h
#191125534Monday, June 13, 2016 10:02 PM GMT

I apologize for indirectly calling you a dumbass @dr
MatthewCastagna
#191125674Monday, June 13, 2016 10:04 PM GMT

"thug mindset" Say a linebacker says "I'm going to take a play off and try not to light this man up leave my feet and drive him to the ground." if the runningback is mentally tougher he's thinking "I'm going to run this man over and run for 6 points." you cant just decide you're going to stop "hitting hard" and be a successful football player. thats why players nowadays just want their guaranteed money and then to get out of the league
Texafy
#191125716Monday, June 13, 2016 10:05 PM GMT

You're a forward. You've obviously never tried to poach a ball before. Backs get hit in the head all the time. Every time I try to poach the ball I get rocked straight in my face area. I broke my nose once. We had just as many concussions in rugby as we did in football. And the rugby ones were worse. Our inside center was so fried that he didn't know where he was 10 seconds after he got hit. His doctor wouldn't clear him to go back to school for two weeks. So your analysis is all wrong.
MatthewCastagna
#191125765Monday, June 13, 2016 10:06 PM GMT

Hitting hard has nothing to do with concussions if you know how to tackle correctly
drbat
#191126209Monday, June 13, 2016 10:12 PM GMT

"You're a forward. You've obviously never tried to poach a ball before. Backs get hit in the head all the time. Every time I try to poach the ball I get rocked straight in my face area. I broke my nose once. We had just as many concussions in rugby as we did in football. And the rugby ones were worse. Our inside center was so fried that he didn't know where he was 10 seconds after he got hit. His doctor wouldn't clear him to go back to school for two weeks. So your analysis is all wrong." Most of the time my coaches told us not to poach unless we have there is no support for him. They usually didn't want us to go into the ruck and just get set for a pick and jam or the ball to go out to the backs. They would only tell us to go into the rucks if we're facing weak forwards.
Texafy
#191126480Monday, June 13, 2016 10:17 PM GMT

And you want to know why? When you poach, there's a 100% chance someone gets f**ked up Either you or the guy you're poaching
drbat
#191126595Monday, June 13, 2016 10:19 PM GMT

"And you want to know why? When you poach, there's a 100% chance someone gets f**ked up Either you or the guy you're poaching" That happened to me in practice. We had been playing a scrimmage of A team vs B team. I poached the ball and a guy just comes and blows me up and I land on the guy who was already on the ground's head.
TotallyNotCap
#191126799Monday, June 13, 2016 10:22 PM GMT

The absolute worst thing you can do to contact sports is outlawing the tackling/checking from them. It's almost guaranteed that you'll get hit at some point anyway, but if tackling/checking isn't allowed then you won't be expecting it and will probably be hurt even more than you normally would.
drbat
#191127251Monday, June 13, 2016 10:28 PM GMT

"The absolute worst thing you can do to contact sports is outlawing the tackling/checking from them. It's almost guaranteed that you'll get hit at some point anyway, but if tackling/checking isn't allowed then you won't be expecting it and will probably be hurt even more than you normally would." what
AmazingSkill
#191129571Monday, June 13, 2016 11:04 PM GMT

"what" blindsides hurt more because you arent expecting it
Roody
#191132206Monday, June 13, 2016 11:44 PM GMT

Football has changed into a "run as fast as possible to truck someone" instead of being a "wrap up" sport.
AmazingSkill
#191132869Monday, June 13, 2016 11:53 PM GMT

maybe thats because its so hard to tackle somebody that doesnt want to be tackled. also, you cant really compare rugby to football because in rugby they run laterally more often than in football. a lot more, actually. football is head on and hence the need for pads. and because of said pads players can hit each other harder with fewer repercussions. and because players can hit each other harder it is a lot more dangerous. To be in the NFL you have to be so big just to get a chance, and then you have to master technique along with it. as soon as you go to light someone up you get juked. you go to wrap up afraid of being juked and you get trucked. pick your poison.

of     1