of     5   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

DapperNarwhal
#191520344Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:37 AM GMT

I found the offensive word, thanks to MCXCI. (YOU'RE A HERO, MAN). We'll mainly be classifying and distinguishing different disease types, because that still seems to be something people are having trouble doing. This isn't including genetic diseases; only bacteria, parasites, viruses, and a bonus type. It requires only a basic understanding, so I won't go on for too long about it. We'll just start with the various traits of each. Before we start, it's important to make this very clear; bacteria are a type of parasite. I'll cover that more later. I haven't really made many epidemiology threads since the EVD scare of 2014, so it's good to get back to my roots. Being my first and favorite science field, this is one topic I could go on forever about. I hope to make this into a career, so I should get used to talking about it. Prepare for a huge wall of text. 1. Bacteria: Bacteria are prokaryotic parasites in most cases; at least when referring to infectious diseases. They live symbiotically, but some can also live on their own. Parasitic bacteria are symbiotic. There are five different types of bacteria characterize by their shape. Bacilli, cocci, spirilla, rickettsia, and mycoplasma. Bacilli are almost cylindrical, cocci are spherical, and spirilla are curved. Rickettsia and mycoplasma aren't characterized by shape like the other three. Rickettsia are rod-shaped, but can also be spherical; they are a variation of bacilli or cocci. Mycoplasma are typically cocci, but they lack a cell wall. The organelles in most bacteria are as follows: cell wall, plasma membrane, cytoplasm, ribosome, plasmid, flagella, pilli, and a capsule. Some bacteria (such as mycoplasma) don't actually have a cell wall, so these organelles aren't universally present in bacteria. Most bacteria have them though. 2. Parasites: I won't spend too much time on parasites, as I covered most of their properties in bacteria section. Parasite is just a colloquial term for a unicellular or multicellular organism that uses other animals for nutrients. Some protozoa and helminths can be free-living. Protozoa are single-celled, but they cluster together in a way that would make it appear as though they are multicellular. They can be free-living or a symbiotic parasite, but their ability to reproduce within humans is astounding. They are typically transferred via arthropod vector. For example, the type of malaria that infects humans is caused by four different types of the protozoan parasite plasmodium; falciparum, ovale, malariae, and vivax. Sometimes species like P. knowlesi will also infect humans. Helminths are multicellular, snake-like parasites. They are so large that they are actually visible to the naked eye in their adult stages. They can be symbiotic or free-living. Unlike protozoa, once they are in their adult form they cannot multiply inside of a host. The hosts are simply there for nutrients. There are three different types of helminths. Platyhelminths (flatworms), acanthocephalins (horn-headed worms), and nematodes (roundworms). I won't go too much into the characteristics of each, it would take way too long. Ectoparasites are, as the name implies, external parasites. They include things like hematophagic arthropods, such as mosquitoes. Ectoparasitism is usually used to classify things like lice, fleas, mites, and ticks, however. Hematophagic arthropods only stay for a matter of seconds, whereas the latter stay for days, weeks, or even months. Ectoparasites aren't typically dangerous on their own, but they are very commonly used as vectors for more deadly diseases. I spent way more time on that one than I intended. 3. Viruses: Viruses are, by far, my favorite on this list. They're the most unpredictable, and they include some of the deadliest diseases we've ever seen. There are way too many virus types to list here; it's not as simple as narrowing it down to protozoa and helminths or bacilli, cocci, spirilla. Most viruses are either helical or polyhedral, but the shapes vary greatly. Instead of focusing on that, I'll focus on the overall characteristics of viruses. More specifically, I will address why they're classified as nonliving, and what makes them different from parasites and bacteria. Below, I will list a basic comprehensive list of the characteristics of viruses. -Viruses are non-cellular. -Viruses do not have a metabolic system. -Viruses do not grow in size. -Viruses reproduce, but not without the aid of a host. -Viruses do not have ribosomes or enzymes required for metabolism. -Viruses are contained inside of a capsid. -In most cases, viruses have a protective envelope. -Viruses have a core of nucleic acid, which can contain either DNA or RNA. As you can see, viruses fall short of many of the characteristics of typical life. They are parasitic, but they are nonliving. [BONUS] Prions: Prions are not diseases in themselves. They are the result of a misfolded PrP, which causes other PrPs in your body to become misfolded. They are even less living than viruses, as they are simply just a rogue protein. They stimulate healthy PrPs, causing them to fold into PrP scrapie. Misfolded prions are typically progressive neurodegenerative disorders, and they can affect both humans and non-human animals. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (colloquially known as mad cow disease) is the most notable of this family.
Muunswirl
#191520365Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:38 AM GMT

Teaching people is a great way of learning things my life is a macabre tapestry
Captain_Falcon
#191520379Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:38 AM GMT

you love your biologu don't you
FlaminMetal
#191520418Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:40 AM GMT

I enjoyed reading this.
Plungeit
#191520467Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:42 AM GMT

DapperNarwhal
#191520488Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:43 AM GMT

"Teaching people is a great way of learning things" This is honestly so true. I've learned a lot just by teaching people. That drive to inform people has also pushed me to research more than I usually would. "you love your biologu don't you" Especially when it concerns diseases. :^) But yeah, I love biology. Science in general is just amazing.
DapperNarwhal
#191520515Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:44 AM GMT

"I enjoyed reading this" Thank you! I tried to simplify it as much as possible so it wouldn't be boring to most people. "newest bill nye the science guy" I wish.
EpicSnack3
#191520547Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:45 AM GMT

dapper i'm a bit curious but whay career are you trying to go for later in life? cause man i feel like you might try to do space related stuff. that'd be cool
VityaBC
#191520666Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:49 AM GMT

dappal do u ever go on alts and/or get banned and please donate
DapperNarwhal
#191520697Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:50 AM GMT

"dapper i'm a bit curious but whay career are you trying to go for later in life? cause man i feel like you might try to do space related stuff. that'd be cool" I've always wanted to do epidemiology (which is what this thread is based around). Been my dream for as long as I can remember. I genuinely cannot remember a time when I didn't want to become an epidemiologist. I've been reading books on it for that long, wow. I rarely put that into perspective. I have considered a career in astronomy in astrophysics too though. Neil deGrasse Tyson is one of my biggest idols (meeting him in September), and it'd be really rad to get into that.
DapperNarwhal
#191520726Sunday, June 19, 2016 11:50 AM GMT

"dappal do u ever go on alts and/or get banned" I usually only get banned when I get mass-reported. I'm a good boy for the most part, I think. :^)
DapperNarwhal
#191521000Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:01 PM GMT

I should probably also make it clear that genetic diseases will get their own thread. That includes some birth defects, inherited diseases, and cancer. Something that colossal needs a thread of its own, so that'll come later.
DapperNarwhal
#191521886Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:27 PM GMT

Bump. :^)
PizzaGuyBlox
#191522176Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:34 PM GMT

Interesting Good job :)
0TForumer
#191522367Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:39 PM GMT

Interesting post. Great job!
0TForumer
#191522474Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:42 PM GMT

and also oMQ U FORGOT Fakeposting nerdbaggos.... Smh just kidding of course aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa so bored now i kinda like reading text walls they can be fun sometimes
PylonBuffering3
#191522479Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:42 PM GMT

tl;dr everyone seems to be interested what's going on here
kirbylover1285
#191522523Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:43 PM GMT

Very well articulated and put together. Overall an excellent. The government is bees!
DapperNarwhal
#191522673Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:46 PM GMT

"Interesting Good job :)" Thank you! "Interesting post. Great job!" Thanks, I was worried I made it too boring. "i kinda like reading text walls they can be fun sometimes" That's not a common thing around here. Patience to read multi-paragraph threads is a rare commodity. "what's going on here" There's no short and easy tl;dr version for this that still gets the point across. I basically just explained traits of bacteria, parasites, viruses, and prions. "Very well articulated and put together. Overall an excellent." Thank you so much. :^)
0TForumer
#191522699Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:47 PM GMT

"everyone seems to be interested what's going on here" He's posting something informational. Some people want to learn something. That's why people are reading this (for the most part) and don't read a lot of other longer posts because they aren't informational or interesting. (my theory, though, I'm not exactly speaking for everyone) For example, if there was a post explaining something that most would consider boring and it was 10 paragraphs pretty much nobody would read it, but if it's something that most people find interesting or at least worthwhile to read they'd read it. OT finds most things uninteresting, therefore they don't read about them and a mere three paragraphs can get most people saying "tl;dr" if it's boring enough. That's what I think, at least.
kirbylover1285
#191522730Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:48 PM GMT

*An excellent read. sorry for the slip up. The government is bees!
PylonBuffering3
#191522752Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:48 PM GMT

my theory is that he is a well known decent OTer and that is why people read through his threads
DapperNarwhal
#191522767Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:48 PM GMT

0TForumer nailed it. "sorry for the slip up." That's fine, I still got what you meant.
NuclearLava33
#191522838Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:51 PM GMT

congratulations you passed 6th grade life science heres a gold star the inkling girl is best waifu 2016
Ashgabat
#191522848Sunday, June 19, 2016 12:51 PM GMT

and i get each and every one of these types of diseases when i see cringe on the internet (ya its pretty edgy i know) crippling nihilism

of     5   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right