of     1   

mynameisidiot14
#192391637Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:02 AM GMT

So some of you may know that I dont play any instruments at all, normally this would completely not even be relevant but like everyone here but me is involved in music in some way. ANYWAY a friend and I have long been in discussion about a musical project we wanted to in the future. So my question is: how long did it take you to not just learn how to play your instrument but how long did it take you to understand music as a whole. Because to me it seems like something really complicated. Where do you recommend I start? Most of what I want to learn is guitar. Since its a two person project I would also say I need to learn drums but we have already come to the conclusion that we will program those. Yes theres still a learning curve to that but its not as big and time consuming (also $$$). Second question are any of you familiar with the fretless bass? This is something we really wanted to include in our project. Is it harder to become acquainted with one and play it than it would be a regular electric bass? Would knowledge of like, regular guitars be enough to work with such an instrument?
ducky980
#192392513Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:15 AM GMT

I would start with music lessons. If you can't find them, youtube lessons. When I was learning guitar/piano I learned theory and how to play at the same time.
ducky980
#192392569Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:16 AM GMT

For your second question, I doubt it.
jtrobloxian
#192392709Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:18 AM GMT

Learn trombone as well. It gets you places in life.
mynameisidiot14
#192396852Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:13 AM GMT

@ducky Is theory integral?
ducky980
#192397483Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:20 AM GMT

It's necessary to be able to really know how to play the instrument. Like you can make things up good and it's especially needed when being able to read it. But do you need to learn everything to be able to play a song? No. However, I do suggest you do the theory anyway.
youareatourist
#192397627Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:22 AM GMT

i don't think music theory is always necessary for starting out unless you're playing an instrument like the piano (in which case at least being able to read sheet music is very important). it's helpful to have at least a working knowledge of it though. as for learning the guitar - personally, it took me about six months to get to the point where i could change chords/pick very simple riffs without too much trouble. i should mention that i was able to do so after a couple of months of playing another string instrument (mandolin) - if you don't already have some of the hand strength/coordianation prior to learning how to play then it could possibly take longer, though i honestly don't know because i tend to be kind of a slow learner. i'm not particularly familiar with the fretless base. i do play a little bit of electric bass, and that hasn't been super hard to play after about a year and a half of playing guitar. i'd actually imagine having experience with a bowed string instrument such as violin or cello might make it easier to transition to fretless bass, mostly because those instruments don't typically have frets either.
mynameisidiot14
#192398781Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:38 AM GMT

I really had no idea where to start so this helps a bit. Thanks guys.
CodenameEwan
#192417165Thursday, June 30, 2016 11:17 AM GMT

Definitely get guitar lessons as soon as you can. I used to be self taught but I wasn't making any progress so I decided to take lessons, it's amazing how quickly you can progress with a good teacher!
Checkmate_ACE
#192417994Thursday, June 30, 2016 11:48 AM GMT

It took me about a year to stert playing decently, and two to start playing well, but I was making slow progress because I had loads of homework and didn't start taking lessons until this Summer, I still don't understand everything about music and can only read the simple stuff, but the lessons are helping. Start when you know you'll have time to play and get lessons as soon as possible. Practice ten minutes a day is more helpful than 70 minutes once a week.
sk8erkiller900
#192467669Friday, July 01, 2016 12:35 AM GMT

Learning a sting intstument with frets (guitar) only requires the ability to memorize patterns, no theory needed unless you're interested in technical playing. Theory itself is pretty easy to understand, but it doesn't all come at once. The last man on earth sat alone in a room... There was a knock at the door...
PUSH5
#192502092Friday, July 01, 2016 9:46 AM GMT

playing instruments requires no talent
Yadoking
#192506717Friday, July 01, 2016 12:10 PM GMT

I dont know anything about music theory Learned how to play bass and guitar 6 months later Now I can play music if I put effort
Yadoking
#192506755Friday, July 01, 2016 12:11 PM GMT

I basically just bought a guitar and a bass one day and self tsught myself from there But yes if you want to do it faster than I did, listen to the other forumers they know what theyre talking about
minedad22
#192520890Friday, July 01, 2016 4:30 PM GMT

Piano lessons from a teacher. I've been doing it for 4 years and still haven't learned chords.
mynameisidiot14
#192521166Friday, July 01, 2016 4:34 PM GMT

"But yes if you want to do it faster than I did, listen to the other forumers they know what theyre talking about" id hope I could take an approach like you did, ive been teaching myself other things. I already have access to a guitar, my mom has one she never uses. Im not as concerned about learning as soon as possible like I was before.
ducky980
#192523083Friday, July 01, 2016 5:02 PM GMT

@mine, you may want to switch teachers then. I had the same problem too. But once I did find a new teacher that worked for me everything went by so much faster. @idiot, I used to think that too. But it really is much easier just to get a good teacher to help you. Youtube videos are your next best option if you actually can't do it.
mynameisidiot14
#192523857Friday, July 01, 2016 5:13 PM GMT

I have a lot of stuff I need to save up for so id def have to use youtube videos, I cant pay someone right now. Im not going to be back to work again until the school year starts up (im employed by my district) and even then im not going to be making that much

of     1