of     1   

nintendo566
#195371957Thursday, August 04, 2016 7:59 PM GMT

What's the difference between team North America and all these North American countries competing??
JoePaterno
#195372138Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:01 PM GMT

Team North America is U23.
JoePaterno
#195372325Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:03 PM GMT

Honestly the addition of "Team Europe" and North America U23 is a middle finger to international hockey. Switzerland and Slovakia deserve to get those spots imo. They'd be underdogs, yeah, but Team Europe is probably at the same skill level as the Czech Republic who most likely won't make the playoffs and Team North America is going to get destroyed in every single game. Honestly, if North America U23 wins a single game in the WCoH, the tournament is undeniably rigged.
nintendo566
#195372653Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:07 PM GMT

That's so stupid it's supposed to be an international tournament
eelee345
#195372702Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:08 PM GMT

>world cup< >north american u23 team< what?
JoePaterno
#195373336Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:16 PM GMT

Honestly the WCoH is just Bettman's excuse to justify killing Olympic hockey, which is incredibly stupid because it'd kill hockey's international exposure to developing markets (like, let's say, South Korea for example). It doesn't help that the president of the IIHF is a greedy Swiss dentist who insists on demanding that the NHL pays 5 million to send its players to Pyeongchang 2018, when the IIHF can easily fork over that money themselves. Especially considering how much bribe money they took from Belarus and Russia during the 2014 IIHF WC. Also doesn't help that the IIHF doesn't support the countries that already have developing hockey programs (some of which collapse because of the lack of support such as Ireland/Greece/Mongolia) but insists on spending all of their development efforts on bringing it to places in Southeast Asia where it can barely be played like the Philippines and Indonesia.
TheNgroup
#195374609Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:33 PM GMT

Team North America isn't going to be destroyed by every single team, they have SO MUCH skill. I mean I used to think there goaltending was a problem, but with having a Stanley cup winning goalie, you have a chance, defense could be a problem but I still think it can be improved, and in all honestly winning is all about speed nowadays, and they have a lot of that and it's going to catch on with those other older aged players like having Mcdavid who is already one of the fastest skaters in the league if not the fastest so. Experience is a hard teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson afterwards.
ebenton95
#195375163Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:41 PM GMT

North America U23 and Europe are likely gonna be replaced. They're just stop-gaps for this one so that they can get actual countries to replace them next time
JoePaterno
#195376589Thursday, August 04, 2016 9:01 PM GMT

"Team North America isn't going to be destroyed by every single team" Yes they are. Russia is the only team in that group that might score less than 5. "they have SO MUCH skill." Their group opponents (Finland, Sweden, and Russia) don't? Besides they're more experienced and have much better technical and mental skills, and unless there's a player who's VERY old (like over 36) they have better physical skill too. "I mean I used to think there goaltending was a problem" The only team with even a slight goaltending problem is the Czech Republic and even they have a good starter in Petr Mrázek. North America has undoubtably the worst goalies in their group. "but with having a Stanley cup winning goalie, you have a chance" Under that logic, Antti Niemi is going to carry Team Finland because he won the Stanley Cup after taking over the Chicago starer spot in his rookie year. He didn't even make Team Finland's roster and was passed over for a KHL goalie. Besides, I'd much rather start John Gibson than Matt Murray. "defense could be a problem but I still think it can be improved" Outside of Ekblad, Gostisbehere, and maybe Murray and Trouba if you're generous, Team NA's defense is incredibly inconsistent. Ekblad is the only one who can really effectively shut anyone down and Gostisbehere is an offensive defenseman, so don't expect him to be the big star on actual defense. "and in all honestly winning is all about speed nowadays" Speed is extremely overrated and the two biggest keys to winning are, in order, defense and shooting accuracy. The best defense in North America's group belongs to Sweden and the best shooting accuracy to Finland. Not to mention that Russia rivals North America for speed and is also better on defense. "and they have a lot of that and it's going to catch on with those other older aged players like having Mcdavid who is already one of the fastest skaters in the league if not the fastest so." You're forgetting Dylan Larkin. As an Oilers fan I can confirm that McDavid is fast, but he also has the puck skills and physical endurance to keep him from getting burned. Larkin's physical ability on the other hand is a glaring weakness and if he's not careful he could get seriously injured, especially if he has to attack against borderline dirty defensemen like Kronwall and Nesterov.
JoePaterno
#195376699Thursday, August 04, 2016 9:03 PM GMT

"North America U23 and Europe are likely gonna be replaced. They're just stop-gaps for this one so that they can get actual countries to replace them next time" IIRC Bettman has confirmed that the 2020 WCoH will have actual qualification groups for countries that are outside of the Big Six (Canada/USA/Finland/Sweden/Russia/Czech Republic)
gr3attimmy111
#195376829Thursday, August 04, 2016 9:04 PM GMT

larkin >mcdavid

of     1