of     1   

TheInfamousCatwoman
#213084595Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:11 AM GMT

Building off of sports thread in which the NHL announces its hosting two pre-season games in China I realized that the 2022 winter Olympics are going to be hosted in China. From a business perspective you want to grow your brand, and obviously since the NHL is now trying to grow it in China it would be a big mistake if the NHL sat out of the 2022 Olympics. So honestly while sitting out of the 2018 Olympics is inexcusable (when you have an NHL team in Arizona and Sunrise) it kind of makes sense from a business perspective to sit out of 2018 for China in 2022 where you would gain more from going. Obviously hosting the pre-season game in Beijing is to test the waters of possibly going in 2022 when the Olympics are being hosted in Beijing. /ℯ ςαℸωℴღαη
TheInfamousCatwoman
#213084709Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:13 AM GMT

so yeah, it really looks like the NHL has moved past the 2018 Olympics. If the two pre-season games between the Canucks and Kings produce well, i'm almost convinced the NHL will go in 2022. /ℯ ςαℸωℴღαη
Zammy67rocks5
#213085081Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:18 AM GMT

I just don't think China is going to care for hockey any time soon. They already have a KHL team that made the playoffs and had only 2952 average attendance (fourth lowest in KHL) with a 14,000 capacity arena (second largest in KHL, only Minsk's arena is bigger).
sportsfan1414
#213086853Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:47 AM GMT

I swear I saw something about the IIHF not letting the nhl play in the olympics in 2022 if they don't go in 2018. Is this still true? I'm also pretty sure cap said something about the IIHF even governing the olympic tournament, and that the IOC is on their side.
TotallyNotCap
#213086873Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:47 AM GMT

the problem with the nhl basically d-riding china while totally ignoring south korea is that the nhl genuinely believes that beijing is a good hockey market. while china itself isn't a bad market, there's several places in china where hockey has much more presence than in beijing, and would have actually been decent fits to host a winter olympic games. (if you're going to say that beijing deserves more it for being a massive city, literally nobody knew what pyeongchang was until the 2018 olympics were announced and many people confused it with pyongyang which is in north korea. not to mention you should look at some other winter olympic hosts from the past.) let's look at the china dragon of asia league ice hockey for example, and red star kunlun of the KHL. red star kunlun played their games in beijing/shanghai and averaged an attendance of 2952 fans, although that number is significantly dragged down by their shanghai games. in beijing's games the average attendance, according to the iihf, was 5137. now let's look at the china dragon. they're one of the worst teams in the asia league which is basically a home for AHL rejects at best. like many teams in the asia league, they play homestands in various locations around the country in which they're based. their first series was in a city called jilin, and the average attendance of the series was 4429. there were three games in that series, and had it not been for the significantly lower attendance at the second game (which still came VERY close to red star kunlun's overall average) the series would have beat out red star kunlun's beijing average in attendance. a garbage team in a garbage league, playing three games in a city that almost nobody outside of china knows, nearly beat a team in the world's #2 league, based in a world-class major city, in average attendance numbers. that's not even getting into the fact that the team finished the season with a six-game homestand in beijing. the highest attendance they got was in the first game of that homestand, and it was 417 people. once again, the only city that had worse attendance for this team than beijing was shanghai, where they never reached even 100 spectators, and only had 22 for one of the games. the team's games in qiqihar, another relatively unknown city, averaged approximately 1700 fans per game which is actually a drop of around 1000 from the 2015-16 season.
TotallyNotCap
#213087009Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:49 AM GMT

and on my previous post i didn't even mention the city of harbin once. harbin is basically china's hockeytown, consistently dominates the domestic amateur competition, and has hosted the women's top level world championship before in 2008. (to be fair, beijing was supposed to host it in 2003, but it was cancelled due to a SARS outbreak in china)
TotallyNotCap
#213087305Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:54 AM GMT

my bad, harbin and qiqihar share domination of the domestic amateur competition

of     1