of     9   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

fghik
#33653683Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:30 AM GMT

Unless you've been rotting under a rock since mid 09 you would know that all the front page games have turned to the dark side, free models... Sure a few free models here and there are good, heck, I learned scripting with them. THAT WAS THEIR INTENDED PURPOSE! TO LEARN FROM THEM! But today, people have abused the power, creating 100% free model places... "Who Killed Bob?" "Blow Up Bob" "Bob Tycoon" "Bob Obby" "Bob Wars" "Another Bob Obby" "FEED BOB!" "Build a Bob" "Grow or adopt a Bob" "Bob Admin Land" And those are just skimmin' the cream of the common place themes now... So how are we to end this free model ploy. Yet still give new players a chance to build and learn basic building and scripting? Simple... One Word: LIMITS How it works: It's really easy, only allow up to 50% of the place to be UN-EDITED* free models. (see the *footnote* for my definition of un-edited). NOTE: MODELS UPLOADED YOURSELF, UNDER YOUR NAME, WILL NOT COUNT TOWARDS FREE MODEL TOTAL This way, places can't succeed with all free models... How can you calculate free model percentage? Count up the bricks! If you get a "Bob Hotel" from free models, that's all fine and good. Say it's 2000 bricks... You will need to make enough other features to balance that out, (so approx another 2000 bricks). OR you could re-paint the "Bob Hotel" and edit the scripts! So new players can learn to build and script, and we won't have to deal with the free model scum... *Un-Edited- To count as an edited model, it must have had 75% or more of the bricks re-colored. OR have had a 10% script edit. (adding in "--[hai der]--" does not count, it has to be the main code... Not just comments...) BUT DEN THEY ARE JUST RECOLORS! Yeah, they are recolors. BUT THEY ARE ACTUALLY DIFFERENT NOW! ROBLOX has gotten away with recolors on their hats for a long time, so if you are mad at re-colors, take it up with ROBLOX first... Well, since half of you just TL;DR'd anyway, I'm gonna summarize some numbers for you: 50% is maximum ratio of free models 75% of the bricks must be re-colored to count as a different model or 10% of the script must be edited. Simple right? ~TL;DR noob version~ (It's one sentance, you can manage...) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Set PERCENTAGE BASED limits on amount of free models to add some more originality to the front page. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~/TL;DR noob version~ HEY YOU! DONT TOUCH THIS REPLY BUTTON UNTIL YOU READ THE POST!
Jasonrocks99
#33653807Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:32 AM GMT

Support. A GOOD place should only have around 20 - 40% of free models.
fghik
#33653823Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:33 AM GMT

bump *dumps floodcheck in sulphuric acid (spelling?)*
fghik
#33653907Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:34 AM GMT

@jason Yes, good places have 20-40% But I went with 50 for two reasons 1. New players NEED free models to get the hang of things. 2. 50 is a nice number XD 3. I said two reasons, but I had three reasons anyway.
EliteSpaceCommando
#33653949Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:35 AM GMT

I read the whole thing, and my question is. How would roblox know the difference?
fghik
#33654047Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:38 AM GMT

Simple: If the uploaded name is not your name, then you didn't make it. When you upload a model, it goes under your name. So if someone were to use it, it would still be under your name when they insert it. No extra coding required... Just a simple check function would suffice ( should ahve mentioned that in the post, my bad)
therealmicatheman
#33654074Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:38 AM GMT

Wow im like teh uba builder of somethin.. i only use .0001% free models, usually thats just there scripts, if not counting scripts i use 0% free models 0.0
fghik
#33654223Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:42 AM GMT

Yeah, I use no free models either BUT We still need to limit the usage of them to bring the 06-08 creativity back. (I wasn't around before 08, but I heard it was really nice) Free models are a good thing for starting players to use, you can't argue with that, but when players use ONLY free models, then it get's on everyones' nerves... (Ohhh, if ROBLOX wanted to be REALLY evil, they could change the maximum number to 60% free models for BC members LOL)
crazypotato4
#33654464Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:47 AM GMT

as always, fghik, you come up with amazing ideas, that are fair, polite, and just plain awesome. I give you my total support, but good luck actually getting telamon to read this, it's probably like 4 am where he lives and hes asleep. if this is still alive when he wakes up, he might check it, or you could try PMing it to him... but the S&I system really sucks, the good ideas (like this one) barely get listened to. BASICALLY A LONG RANT ABOUT THE MODS AND ME GIVING MY SUPPORT :D
fghik
#33654667Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:52 AM GMT

lol I try to keep these relatively bumped. It's actually about 10:00 in California right now (when I'm posting this). The real-life ROBLOX HQ is in California. He may be asleep, or he may be out partying XD. I usually let my idea's slip into obscurity due to trolls and tl;dr. But so far, none yet! (I think I may have just jinxed myself)
crazypotato4
#33654743Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:54 AM GMT

really? I suck at doing time zones, i have no idea if i should add or subtract hours when i go left or right, all i know is that its like 2 am in virginia and california is like 3 or 4 hours time difference.
fghik
#33654941Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:59 AM GMT

To the left (west) is always subtracting. To the right (east) is always adding. It's pretty simple until you get to the International Date Line (not what you call to get a girlfriend, the thing that adds/subtracts a day judging by hours gained/lost during time-zone travel.) After the date line, I get lost when it comes to time zones. I believe 4:00 am would be in Europe somewhere...
fghik
#33655064Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:02 AM GMT

burp Oh wait, I mean BUMP
EliteSpaceCommando
#33655333Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:09 AM GMT

So...Is it possible someone can forge a model? Otherwise i support :3
atomic200sheep
#33657348Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:35 AM GMT

Support! Definatly! But what if somebody gets a free model, then uploads it under his name?
TerryBollea
#33657417Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:38 AM GMT

What prevents me from inserting a model into my place, Uploading it as my own, Removing the original, And inserting the one I uploaded so that it doesn't affect my free model percentage? *Loophole found*
deathwish045
#33657752Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:55 AM GMT

Dude, I made a Who killed Bob? place. Noo free models. Honestly an obby isn't that hard to make. All you have to do is leave AutoAssign on the first course and make sure the color matches with the course name. :\
kruse170
#33659112Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:28 AM GMT

O_O You "pwn". Seriously, I like this idea.
zacko98
#33659265Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:38 AM GMT

SUPPORT! ___________________________________________________________________________ YOULL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE MODS
D8Dev
#33659394Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:45 AM GMT

I think a good place should have 10% or lesser free model.
fghik
#33692154Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:26 PM GMT

"Can't I just re-upload a free model under my name?" GOOD POINT!!!!! Maybe to qualify for an upload, it has to count as an edited model. (75% re-colored, or 10% script code change.) That'd be good right?
robloxkid08
#33692585Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:33 PM GMT

@OP: The code change should be higher. 1/3 of the model's code needs to be changed? Or even more than that. I'm evil, I know. And instead of just recolors (because that would be too EASY, and I'm evil, ahahahahaha...) they have to ALL be recolored, or you have to change the properties (not just color. I'm talking transparency, reflectance, friction, et cetera) of 75% of the bricks to have it count as not a free model. @Third post on this thread (fghik's first bump here): Actually, it's spelled sulfuric acid. You were close, though. (Taking chemistry at school, as well as mandatory science. I know these things.) Either way, support & bump. ~Awright, who gave the zombie the TNT?~ ~Before posting, read the forum rules, and read the POST. -_-~
deadheartlesssoul
#33692892Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:37 PM GMT

supported ~~im not a narcissist, im just WAAAY to literal for reality~~
willyo
#33693265Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:42 PM GMT

Title fix so telamon will read and support
dawoofinater
#33693553Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:45 PM GMT

I feel bad for using 2 edited models. But anyway support.

of     9   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right