of     60   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right

TheGilded
#71090156Friday, June 29, 2012 9:13 PM GMT

THE BACKGROUND (As this started as a story I wrote and then grew bored of, it is in first person. Sorry.) Everyone in Diot - maybe even the whole of the Feuding Isle - considers our town to be weird. I don’t blame them. From time to time, someone will venture out of Melock and into the rest of Diot. Someone will end up dead, because Melock controls our powers and we can’t leave until we can handle them ourselves - many people can‘t tell whether they have full control or not. Our ancestors lined the town with fragments of stone, creating a protective enchantment that limits our power strength. The source of our power is a stone - kin to the stone fragments that line our town. At least, it looks like a stone. A blue stone, with lighter blue lines moving over it which make it look like it is lying in the sun underwater. At the age of seven, each child in Melock is taken and both of their hands are placed on the stone. The hair on their head will gradually stand on its end for a few minutes, and then suddenly drop. When the child turns, they must demonstrate their power. This ceremony is called the Bestowing. If Melock didn’t control the strength of our power, our town could have been pulled up in a twister or been flooded or burnt to the ground during the Bestowing. Some powers are stronger than others. Some people go mad with their power. They want to use it to put the people on the outside under their control. They leave Melock, believing that they can control their power alone with out our town‘s aid. They call on their power so strongly that they die. Using power isn’t an endless source. It feeds off your energy, and you have to build it up. Like stamina when you run, the more you use it, the further you can go - but you can only go slightly further each time. Those who don’t gradually build up their stamina before releasing their power die almost instantly. Power feeds on your life force if you can’t control it, and many people drop dead as soon as they try to fulfil their ambitions of enslaving the population. After receiving your power, you stay with your family for that night. You celebrate. Then you pack your bags and attend an academy. The academy is hard. After your seventh birthday, you don’t see your parents until you emerge at the age of eighteen. For eleven years, you only see students and teachers. Family is a distraction. Parents have children to keep the Empowered population going. There is no attachment between father and daughter or mother and son. The only relationships you have in Melock are between friends and, eventually, spouses. Many parents who have got too attached to their children end up dead. Death is a natural occurrence in Melock. If you don’t obey the rules, you die. Dying is a natural part of life. We prolong our lives for as long as we are useful. When we are no longer of use in our town, we die. It’s that simple. That is why people try to leave. That is why, more often than not, they die anyway. THE RULES. 1. Killing is not allowed. 2. Inadequate character sheets will not be accepted. 3. People who have bad grammar will be declined. 4. Posts should be ideally be a few lines - three or four. Maybe not every post, but the majority. This makes it easier for characters to interact. 5. I may approve your sheet but not your power. Please don't be upset. 6. Please don't be angry if I don't accept you. I will provide a reason if I remember. I hate declining people, it makes me feel like a nasty person, but equally I would like this to do well. 7. When you display your magic at the Bestowing, it can be big. However, from that point onwards your power is basic, and it is during the time at the Academy that your power grows. For instance, with pyrokinesis - at the Bestowing you may set a tree on fire. After that, you may only be able to manipulate a small fire you have received from a source. After that a bigger fire. Then you may be able to create small sparks of your own through rubbing your hands together or friction or something. Then you may be able to create small flames through friction, and then larger flames through friction. Then just create flames in your hand. The last stage would be being able to set things alight just by a look or gesture or something. That kind of thing. 8. This is medieval-ish, I guess. 9. The role-play starts at the Bestowing. After that, we timeskip however many years (there will be a vote) and we role-play at the Academy. 10. Please have fun and whatever. THE CHARACTER SHEET. Name: A.ge: 7 (automatic, read rules to find out.) Appearance: Power: Bio: Personality: If anyone has inquiries about anything, ask me and I'll answer as best I can. I will post my character sheet if people express interest.
TheGilded
#71093119Friday, June 29, 2012 9:46 PM GMT

Name: Storm Hopkins A.ge: 7 (automatic, read rules to find out.) Appearance: Storm is named after her eyes, which changed colour hours after her birth. They are dark grey, the colour of storm clouds. She is pale, and is below average height and weight. She has black hair, which is thick and wavy down to her mid-back. Her nails are bitten and she has a few pale freckles across her nose and a few on her forehead. As a reasonably clumsy girl, she has many scratches and bruises on her arms and legs from falling over. Her ears are small but slightly pointed, which she keeps hidden behind her hair. Power: Healing Bio: Storm has two older brothers, an older sister and a younger brother and sister. She has the traditionally large family which is normal to Melock, although she has not seen her older siblings in years and has little attachment to her younger siblings or parents, as this is forbidden in the town. Her father runs an animal care centre, as he is able to communicate with animals, and her mother renews lights in lamps that light the town, as creating light is her power. Personality: Storm is generally shy and quiet when you first meet her, but once you get past that she is a nice person. However, she can be a worrier, which irritates a lot of people. She can also be sarcastic if she's having a bad day and snap at people. She tries to be helpful, and tries to be a good person and nice to everyone unless she cannot stand them.
GenFears
#71093288Friday, June 29, 2012 9:48 PM GMT

Name: Cassius Fears A.ge: 7 (automatic, read rules to find out.) Appearance: Basic person, but his left eye is like fog trapped in an eye... it glows. Power: The ability to see the future, or see how something works, such as a machine. Bio: Your basic kid, but very intelligent. He was great in school and is intrigued by history. Personality: Intelligent, adventurous.
EvilNorton
#71093970Friday, June 29, 2012 9:56 PM GMT

(This seems really good.. Although I might put off joining, for now at least. I'm quite tired and I'd hate to mess this up. Seriously though, I really liked it.)
TheDarkKnight125
#71094023Friday, June 29, 2012 9:57 PM GMT

Name: Monstretorius Vanguard A.ge: 7 (automatic, read rules to find out.) Appearance: I am very pale, with dark eyes and greasy, wild, black hair. I have a devilish smile and sharpened teeth. I wear scruffy, torn trousers, and a black baggy top. As a coat I have a long trench-coat, with various lighter and darker patches that have been sown over tears. Monstretorius is tall for his age, and rather strong, but you can't tell this because he is a bit skinnier than average. Power: Necromancy. (Controlling/summoning shadows, and at full power, raising the dead.) Bio: Monstretorius was abandoned by his parents. Later, a kind family let him stay in their house, and his life was good from there. He did have a slightly dark life in the time he spent on the streets before the family found him though, full of fights and stealing, fear, and hatred. Personality: Monstretorius acts quite strong, and somewhat cruel. Not because he's a bad person, he has merely become a bit paranoid. Once he gets to know people he wil act more friendly, but will never fully let down his guard.
TheDarkKnight125
#71094112Friday, June 29, 2012 9:58 PM GMT

(Damn, changed tense from "I" to "Monstretorius"... Ignore that please D:)
TheGilded
#71094358Friday, June 29, 2012 10:01 PM GMT

OH. Some notes on the Bestowing that I left out: 1. Powers generally circulate around. When someone dies, their power is returned to the Stone and re-distributed a few years later. 2. Brand new powers occur every 50-100 years. 3. When you have demonstrated your power, your name will be added into a large book that documents all the powers. This will be followed by the name of the successor and the age that person died. And I think that's it, but I'm going to keep adding stuff in because I have this really bad thing where it's all in my head and I just kind of expect people to know.
TheDarkKnight125
#71094635Friday, June 29, 2012 10:05 PM GMT

(Are we accepted then?)
TheGilded
#71095334Friday, June 29, 2012 10:14 PM GMT

(I'm so so so sorry, but I don't really want to accept either of you. Please don't be upset. I read through both character sheets. First sheet is not accepted because of the lack of detail put into the sheet, and the second I don't feel got the whole idea behind the role-play. Once again, I'm really sorry and please don't hate me.)
TheDarkKnight125
#71095534Friday, June 29, 2012 10:16 PM GMT

(Oh, I hate you. *I take of my mask and replace it with a serious mask* I really hate you. *I replace it with a smiling one* Nah, jokin', I'm quite tired so I didn't think I would get accepted anyway. Could I try again tommorow when I'm not so exhausted?)
TheGilded
#71095595Friday, June 29, 2012 10:17 PM GMT

(Feel free. :D)
username90
#71096041Friday, June 29, 2012 10:22 PM GMT

Name: Martin Servus A.ge: 7 (automatic, read rules to find out.) Appearance: Pale, black hair, blue sparkly eyes, Power: Electricity Bio: Martin was an only child as his mother died at birth, and his father died two years later. He was generally an orphan, and shunned by his peers. Personality:Quiet, Shy, and Rarely comes out of his shell. He won't smile often because he was harassed for his entire life. He's 3 layers, the first being shy, the second being nice, and the third being cruel, which is something he has learned from others his whole life.
catieloohoo
#71096145Friday, June 29, 2012 10:24 PM GMT

Name: Amor Litton A.ge: 7 (automatic, read rules to find out.) Appearance: Amor has a small body build but is at average height for her age. Her nose is decorated with freckles. She has a pale complexion. Her light brown hair reaches her shoulder blades. She usually has at least a rip or two at the knee of her jeans. Power: Telekinesis. Bio: She has always been a quiet having 5 older brothers she doesn't usually get her opinion across. She of course never had any strong connections with her parents though she secretly wanted too. Personality: Amor is very shy. She is extremely quiet and doesn't show her emotions very well. But if she opes up to you she is actually very out going its just hard to break her outer shell. She likes to spend her time reading fantasy novels.
username90
#71097152Friday, June 29, 2012 10:36 PM GMT

(Bump all the threads?)
meanconnor916
#71108967Saturday, June 30, 2012 12:55 AM GMT

Name: Connor Asoie. A.ge: 7 (automatic, read rules to find out.) Appearance: Tall, big brown eyes, dirty blond hair. Power: The ability to freeze time. Bio: Had a moth, 2 sisters, and a father. They died in a car crash. He stopped time without knowing and got out. It has haunted him ever since. Personality: Very silent, a silent leader. More of a thinker.
TheGilded
#71139794Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:18 AM GMT

(Username90 - accepted if you put a bit more detail into Bio and Appearance. Catieloohoo - accepted, but as this is like medieval-ish, jeans and fantasy novels are a no-go. Sorry. Meanconnor916 - not accepted, really sorry! Appearance, Bio and Personality need more detail, and as I said before, this is medieval-ish, so there wouldn't be cars.)
username90
#71164244Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:12 PM GMT

Appearance: Pale, black hair, blue sparkly right eye, white left eye. Scrawny, his face is muddy and his skin generally scraped from falls. He has bloodstained cloth clothing, with no coloring to them. He has a large scar across his left eye. Bio:Bio: Martin was an only child as his mother died at birth, and his father died two years later. He was generally an orphan, and shunned by his peers. Growing up on the streets, he has learned how to hide from society. But he knows he can get his powers and show them all, small little Martin will destroy those who defy him, but he is small now.
username90
#71164280Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:12 PM GMT

(I put BIO twice, sorry. Better?)
username90
#71166701Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:49 PM GMT

(Bump?)
TheGilded
#71167307Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:59 PM GMT

(Accepted. ^^)
username90
#71167459Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:01 PM GMT

(Yay!)
TheGilded
#71167646Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:04 PM GMT

(I'mma wait for a few more before we start.)
username90
#71167882Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:07 PM GMT

(Cool beans.)
magma72
#71168810Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:21 PM GMT

(Hmm I really want to join, but I can't seem to think of a power. :I)
TheGilded
#71168904Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:23 PM GMT

(You could look on Wikipedia. They have a maassive list of them.)

of     60   
chevron_rightchevron_rightchevron_right