of     1   

Gusmanak
#92021105Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:12 AM GMT

Models do NOT snap to whatever grid you have selected! Instead, they move in increments of whatever grid you have selected. Whereas single bricks DO snap to whatever grid you have selected. If you have "1 Stud" grid selected, and move a brick across a baseplate with your mouse, it will snap to the "1 Stud" grid of that baseplate. Even if you move the brick around with "1/5 Stud" grid active, and then switch back to "1 Stud" grid, it will still snap to the "1 Stud" grid because that's what it's supposed to do. If you take a model, and move it off of the actual "1 Stud" grid of the baseplate, (via Cframe or "1/5 Stud" grid) then activate "1 Stud" grid and try to realign it to the baseplate's "1 Stud" grid, it will not happen. I've prepared a one minute video showing a model moving in increments of the selected grid rather than snapping to the grid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lre8vktecuY This is a serious issue because models are occasionally knocked off of a particular grid, and because they don't actually snap to a grid, it is very difficult to return them to the desired grid.
Swordphin123
#92042841Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:04 PM GMT

So that's why my things kept getting messed up..
Prehistoricman
#92044797Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:22 PM GMT

Oh god. Now this is stupid. Now this, kids, clearly shows a lack of research and experimentation. What happens when you move something around on the 1/5 stud grid is that you MAY move it off of the 1 stud grid (you didn't in the single part example -__-). Then, when you switch back, the 1 stud grid is aligned to the current position of that part. This is essential. If you want to stick it back on the same grid it was on before, move it into a position where it was on the grid and turn on the 1 stud grid. In your first example with the building, all you had to do was switch to 1/5 stud grid, move it to fit the corner and switch back to 1 stud so that the 1 stud grid was aligned to the parts on the base. What happened with the brick was an accident. In the 1/5 grid, you just happened to end moving on exactly the previous 1 stud grid. Without doing this, Roblox absolutely no idea what 'grid' to sync to. It isn't magic and it can't read your mind. All of this is intentional behaviour. Really, there isn't a set grid because this would offset many models in games where the baseplate was slightly moved to start with and all buildings were slightly off. It's all increments, which make perfect sense when you know how to use them. Plus, if this offset thing is such a worry to you, hack together a simple .lua file to execute in studio to move a model by a certain amount if it gets knocked off by something weird like 0.15 studs. Or even a plugin. It isn't difficult, and if you can make a game like yours, you should be able to do this.
Ravenger7
#92065211Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:59 PM GMT

You're right, there are technically two grids. One for the world and one for the object. If you move the object to 1/5 stud using grid snap set to 1/5, then you drag the object one stud with grid snap set to 1, it will be on 1 1/5 studs, not 1 stud. Technically the object did move 1 stud from its point of view. We're working on something that will allow you turn it on and off. This is called object space vs global space. It's like if you want to drag in the world vs dragging using the object's rotation/orientation.
Gusmanak
#92101317Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:51 PM GMT

@Prehistoricman You're right. My solution to this is to use the command line and move the object to a position that is on the "1 Stud" grid, and moving on from there. This does need to be simplified for the average user though, even I was completely mistaken as how it worked.
xxBobby
#129968071Sunday, April 06, 2014 2:33 AM GMT

I can't believe this forum post did not get any more replies. And it is extremely old from the summertime.

of     1